• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Custom In Ear Electronic Hearing Protection

Desert Demon

Keep Your Senses Sharp And Your Powder Dry
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
I’m looking for input on the best (or almost best) custom in ear molded electronic hearing protection.
Soundgear vs ESP vs Harris and Sons etc.

Throw some others out there if you have good experience with them.

Only looking at custom fits. I’m wondering why some (ESP for ex) for significantly more expensive than others).

Starkey has a custom product that is very good. Need to see an audiologist for fitting. I think the cost is somewhere around 350-400

Reactions: Taylorbok
Any of the Etymotic/Otto in ear options can be used with custom molds. Lucid Audio is the parent company now and make several versions from battery operated to rechargeable. I've used them for years and love them.

ESP by far. And the price diff is the sound quality. When I wear mine I often forget they are in. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Cheap ones you hear more wind. The quality versions tend to not only cancel out wind but everytthing sounds more ....real

GL
DT

I have the SoundGear Platinum (Made by Starkey) and I love them. @D_TROS that would be my one complaint with them is when you first put them in the sound is a little off from real but you get used to it quick

I have a used set of Etymotic I'd sell if you wanted to go that route.

Look at your health insurance, my benefits paid for mine as a hearing aid.

Reactions: Halen
I have the SoundGear Platinum (Made by Starkey) and I love them. @D_TROS that would be my one complaint with them is when you first put them in the sound is a little off from real but you get used to it quick

I have a used set of Etymotic I'd sell if you wanted to go that route.

Look at your health insurance, my benefits paid for mine as a hearing aid.
Thanks, my insurance is going to cover some of it.

ESP by far. And the price diff is the sound quality. When I wear mine I often forget they are in. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Cheap ones you hear more wind. The quality versions tend to not only cancel out wind but everytthing sounds more ....real

GL
DT
Which model ESP? I’m in the mindset of buy once cry once with this purchase

Starkey SoundGear Phantom has bluetooth, wireless and in unit charging (meaning no fucking batteries).

I went to an Audiologist to get solid molds, but if I was going to get active system don't cheap out.

Reactions: Desert Demon
I have no experience except for the ESP brand. I have been using the Elite Classic since 2003 w/o any issues. They are not digital, so there is some loss in quality of sound vs digital, but I only use them for shooting and they have worked really well for their intended uses.

Reactions: Desert Demon
Starkey SoundGear Phantom has bluetooth, wireless and in unit charging (meaning no fucking batteries).
The rechargeable was actually a negative to me. It's so easy to carry a spare pack of batteries in my hunting/shooting bag but if I forget to charge them I am SOL. Everyone has different opinions but I am terrible at remembering to charge electronics.

The rechargeable was actually a negative to me. It's so easy to carry a spare pack of batteries in my hunting/shooting bag but if I forget to charge them I am SOL. Everyone has different opinions but I am terrible at remembering to charge electronics.
Oh did I change my batteries? Oh now sit here and place this tiny, easily lost battery in here.

Not having to buy expensive tiny hearing aid batteries that discharge while in the ear unit is a major plus. Literally less to worry about, less cost and no different then remembering to bring or prep anything else in your bag. There's a reason apple airpods are so popular. These are the same approach, except with hearing protection and prescription quality.

I went to an Audiologist to get solid molds, but if I was going to get active system don't cheap out.
How long does it last without charging?
Oh did I change my batteries? Oh now sit here and place this tiny, easily lost battery in here.

Not having to buy expensive tiny hearing aid batteries that discharge while in the ear unit is a major plus. Literally less to worry about, less cost and no different then remembering to bring or prep anything else in your bag. There's a reason apple airpods are so popular. These are the same approach, except with hearing protection and prescription quality.
Is the Bluetooth connection work well with your phone?

Some people have these things called friends. I know, foreign concept to you huh? 😂
:rolleyes:... You are being misleading at the very least, I thought OP should know you don't actually have first hand experience. He asked about connectivity and you gave a dodgy answer.

Also changing batteries is not that hard at all if you have moderate dexterity. Batteries come in a 96 pack from Costco for $30 a set usually lasts 3 weeks so that's 2.5 years worth if you shoot every week.

:rolleyes:... You are being misleading at the very least, I thought OP should know you don't actually have first hand experience. He asked about connectivity and you gave a dodgy answer.

Also changing batteries is not that hard at all if you have moderate dexterity. Batteries come in a 96 pack from Costco for $30 a set usually lasts 3 weeks so that's 2.5 years worth if you shoot every week.
Aren't you just a little uppity. Before you get your panties in a bunch Mr. Contrarian, I answered based on MY real world experience. My audiologist also sells SoundGear as well. I didn't give a dodgy answer at all, it's something I've used before, was advertised to and would consider as the best option on the market compared to classic Grandpa's hearing aids represented by most of the rest of the market.

I'm really not sure why you are so hung up on "having to charge" something you care to buy $30 worth of batteries at a time but feel free to fight with yourself over that decision because I certainly could give less of a fuck.

Reactions: 1911hombre
I answered based on MY real world experience. My audiologist also sells SoundGear as well. I didn't give a dodgy answer at all, it's something I've used before, was advertised to and would consider as the best option on the market compared to classic Grandpa's hearing aids represented by most of the rest of the market.
Your friend let you wear his custom fit's? that's weird but what ever.
How's the sound quality on the phantoms?

Your friend let you wear his custom fit's? that's weird but what ever.
How's the sound quality on the phantoms?
Yes, to try for the same reasons the OP is asking. They are digital and the sound quality was good, there were was no background noise.

I also looked at Tetra, ESP, Etymotic, Shothunt. I found the screw in type do not work for me well. I also bought and have several over the ear active muffs. Walker Ultimate, MS Sordin, Safariland Liberator 2, DAA.

One of the challenges with in ear hearing protection, even custom molds, is that over time during the day if there are temperature changes the seal can loosen and allow sound in. The other issue I had was the range of protection. A solid plug can provide 30 NRR, while most of the active in ear devices can provide between 22-23 NRR. I have started to shoot with a suppressor for PRS.

Last edited:
The kind of electronic in hear products that can be adapted to custom molds will give the best protection (ESP, Ear Inc..etc.). In addition, those will also offer the best electronic enhancement performance (dependent upon how much you're willing to spend). The higher cost ones have more memory settings for different frequencies that allow the device to enhance certain sounds and not others (e.g. less wind noise but better response to speech). As stated above, Otto/Etymotic style products can also be adapted to custom plugs if you want to save some cost. These obviously don't have all the features of the more expensive products but still do a very good job overall.

From what I've noted when contacting companies, the rechargeable models do not have replaceable batteries.

This means that this year you get 100% charge, next year it's 98%, then 93%, then 85%, then 75% and you have to buy all new hearing protection when you decide you've had enough of partial charging and them not lasting. You can't just replace the battery.

Something I'd pay attention to, especially given you can buy the hearing aid batteries for dirt cheap, you can fit a 24/7 years supply in your coin purse if you're paranoid, and they have tools for the retarded to change them, if the tab already on the battery doesn't help you enough.

I went non-rechargeable, bought a case of batteries for $20, I have a shooting range out my back door, still haven't gone through the batteries in the 2 years or so I've had these.

Looking at high end custom in-ears myself as mine are not high end nor custom, that's for sure...

Reactions: Tokay444
get the ottos .. been using them for over ayear. The etymotics lasted a year and went to pull one out my ear and pulled in half, the glue they used is shit, the ottos not the case.

Has anyone have any comparative experience w EAR vs ESP top line digital molded ear protection.

Any advantage of one over the other?

Well in that case, is there a reason why ESP is considerably more expensive than the other?

E.A.R. top of the line = $2,900 and I assume plus audiologist

ESP top of the line = $2,500 and I assume plus adiologist

So yeah, bit of a difference in price but still in the same ball park (as in lots of $$$).

Starting with flying in the USAF (so long ago, it was still biplanes) and then riding Harleys and shooting has resulted in my very poor hearing and I'm thinking about getting one of the two above.

I just don't know quite how to discriminate and choose one vs the other.

I'm an EAR Inc provider so take this for what it's worth. In my opinion the top of the line digital products from both these companies are comparable in performance and quality.
ESP gives a bit more data on their devices than EAR.

ESP says "waterproof".

Are the EAR ones also "waterproof" ?

They just don't give too many specs on their website unless I just haven't found them yet.

ESP gives a bit more data on their devices than EAR.

ESP says "waterproof".

Are the EAR ones also "waterproof" ?

They just don't give too many specs on their website unless I just haven't found them yet.
They definitely could use more work on their website info. Yes, the EAR products are waterproof. Also, they have two lines on the digital products a programmable and non-programmable line (Digital Plus and Digital Primo are programmable). As you'd guess, the programmable line allows you to set enhancement for specific frequencies that you want to boost. If you have specific info you'd like to know, let me know and I can contact them and get more details. They have so many products it's hard to give specifics unless you know what you're looking for. You can also contact them directly. They're pretty good about answering questions.

Last edited:
They definitely could use more work on their website info. Yes, the EAR products are waterproof. Also, they have two lines on the digital products a programmable and non-programmable line. As you'd guess, the programmable line allows you to set enhancement for specific frequencies that you want to boost. If you have specific info you'd like to know, let me know and I can contact them and get more details. They have so many products it's hard to give specifics unless you know what you're looking for. You can also contact them directly. They're pretty good about answering questions.
Thanks Alan. As you surmised, I am looking at the programmable top end of either company. Basically want good hearing aid quality with wind noise reduction and shot noise reduction in molded and waterproof (not swimming with them, but caught out in the rain type of thing).

I will do some more research over the next couple of weeks.....but wow, hard to pick between these two company's top end offerings. Easier to compare, for example, scope features/performance as most list the same metrics which make for easy comparison.

Not so much with EAR vs ESP.

Thanks again and yes, if I run into a dead end, will contact you.

Very much appreciate your replies.

Reactions: Mute
Also, it seems the EAR top of line are Bluetooth, and the ESP top iPod like are not? Or am I missing that.

Thanks Alan. As you surmised, I am looking at the programmable top end of either company. Basically want good hearing aid quality with wind noise reduction and shot noise reduction in molded and waterproof (not swimming with them, but caught out in the rain type of thing).

I will do some more research over the next couple of weeks.....but wow, hard to pick between these two company's top end offerings. Easier to compare, for example, scope features/performance as most list the same metrics which make for easy comparison.

Not so much with EAR vs ESP.

Thanks again and yes, if I run into a dead end, will contact you.

Very much appreciate your replies.
I think you'll be served well by either company's product. I've looked at the components (electronic portion) of these devices and as far as I can tell they're more or less the same product. The only major difference I can tell is that the EAR Primo and Plus have a button to go from normal enhancement to more suppressed background noises. Good luck with your research.

Reactions: Baron23
Also, I was mistaken when I was mentions price. I had the Harris and Son flagship in my head—which are $3600.

I consider that considerable more than EAR, ESP, and SoundGear.

Just one final word on the custom molded fit electronic HP. The electronic components work very similarly across the brands, but the noise protection you'll get will be entirely dependent on how good a mold you get of your ear canal. Make sure you get the mold with an experienced audiologist or provider who's done a lot of custom molds and will guarantee their work. For example, if my customers are not happy with the fit, I will recast the molds for free or give them a refund.

get the ottos .. been using them for over ayear. The etymotics lasted a year and went to pull one out my ear and pulled in half, the glue they used is shit, the ottos not the case.
There's no difference. Otto's "product" is Etymotic. Lucid/Etymotic just license their product to Otto to sell under a different name (Noise-Barrier) and be a different color. They're all made in the same place.

Noise-Barrier = Gun-Sport-Elite = Saf•T•Ear

Sounds like you got a bad one or they have since changed(?) the glue. I know the rubber parts on the button was "melting" from folks getting sunscreen/bug-spray or whatever on them, and they then fixed that issue.

I wouldnt get less than the stealth. I got the green ones and I am going on 6 years with them. Love them.

GL
DT
Sorry to bump this but I am in the middle of trying to pick something with my DOC. Using MSA sordins now, they get battered by the wind.

How do the stealth's do in wind? I was looking at the Apex just because they say they cut wind better.

Thank you,

Sorry to bump this but I am in the middle of trying to pick something with my DOC. Using MSA sordins now, they get battered by the wind.

How do the stealth's do in wind? I was looking at the Apex just because they say they cut wind better.

Thank you,
Since I posted here in Jan, I finally ordered a set of ESP Apex, had my ear molds made by a pro audiologist, and last week sent them and my audiogram to Jack Homa (owns ESP) but sadly he's on a cruise this week (who said he could take a vacation...haha).

I went with ESP due to a handful of reasons....but, I want to be clear that I personally think these products are VERY comparable and I don't think anyone would be unhappy with either. So:

1. EAR top end (Digital Primo MM) has 8 channels that can be used to equalize the amplification while ESP Apex has 16 channels. My hearing is awful (USAF flight line, Harley's, guns...that'll do it) and I really need the equalization...particularly at the top end. I basically want shooting hearing protection with hearing aid type audio quality programed with my audiogram

2. ESP Apex is less money than EAR. And for whatever reason, Jack even threw me a $200 bone and is only charging me $2,300 vice the $2,500 list price (wow....this shooting stuff actually has me calling $2,300 hearing protection "only" LOL)

3. I have looked into it a bit and agree with @Mute that the basic circuitry is identical....or at least they belong to the same family of off the shelf modules. Neither of these companies is having custom, unique to them, silicon laid down. They buy something that's available (and yes, they do look very similar for a reason) and then the differences are often in the programming. So, macht nichts.

4. EAR is a big company that services many different industries. ESP is smaller and totally focused on shooter hearing protection. Call ESP, and you get the owner...Jack Homa...on the phone. Nice guy and not an anonymous corporate entity. To me, that's important....may not be for others.

5. Yes, the EAR Primo's have a button you can push to dampen wind/white background noise. ESP invokes this automatically and frankly I don't want to be fumbling to turn on/off this feature out on a GA quail plantation, for example.

There may be things I'm overlooking...I do know that EAR has bluetooth so you can link to an audio source. Not sure about ESP but frankly I have a bluetooth adapter that I bought with my Costco hearing aids years ago....and have never used it once. Just not important to me.

And again, I think I'm splitting hairs to some extent (well, except for # of channels for equalization...that's important to me personally) and either will provide very high end performance and reliability.

Cheers

My Doc gave me a pamphlet for DefendEar, I guess that is what they peddle. Going in Monday to get molds made.

Anyone know anything about them , or should I try to get her to order something else?

Thanks @Baron23 for the update. Planning to do this soon. You started with Mr Homa and then found the audiologist locally to assist?

Thanks @Baron23 for the update. Planning to do this soon. You started with Mr Homa and then found the audiologist locally to assist?
Hi friend - yes, I talked to Jack and clarified the process.

Basically, you can go one of two ways:

1. Go to an ESP dealer (who are also audiologists) and have your impressions made and do the entire transaction thru that dealer. If you already have hearing aids, then who ever tuned them for you should also be able to give you a print out of your audiogram and you can use that with the dealer. Or, since the dealers are audiologists, they can do them for you...IF you need and want a custom equalization. If your hearing is still good, you prob don't need the custom curve.

2. Or, you can just have FULL EAR impressions made by any source (but strongly recommend experienced audiologist as you want them done right, yeah?) and ship them, your audiogram, and the order form from the site to ESP . When you fill out the order form on the site and hit "submit", it goes to ESP but you get a copy via email. Just print it and incl it with the impression and audiogram and send it to Jack.

I did the "send it to Jack" route as for some reason or another (can't really remember what), he threw me a small discount on the Apex which I would not have gotten from one of his dealers (and the dealer was 20 miles of horrid major city traffic away...screw that).

Its really simple...don't let me confuse it for you.

And Jack answers the phone number shown on the ESP site, so you can always just call him and ask any questions you have. He's very customer friendly, IMO.

As I said, he's out of the office until Monday but you can call and discuss this with him after that. He's more than willing to answer all of your questions.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Reactions: Oldloser
I’ve had my ESP’s about a month now. Incredibly comfortable and the amplification is like nothing I’ve experienced before. It is so crystal clear that I didn’t want to pop a shot off when I first used them as not only did it feel like I had practically nothing in my ears, it also sounded like I wasn’t even wearing hearing protection.

Now for the bad… They apparently cut noise at 90 decibels and above whereas my muffs were 82 and above, and I feel like I can hear the difference. I’ve never shot in an indoor range, but we have some bays at my outdoor range that can really bounce some sound, and it can feel borderline loud in this scenario when wearing them.

Also regarding waterproof, the battery door is most definitely not sealed against water. Not sure how they claim these to be waterproof. The website says “waterproof coating,” which is different them waterproof... In any case, I’m not concerned about wearing them in the rain.

So it turns out insurance won't pick this up. I ended up getting ear molds done and will find a solution. Any recommendations that are not $1K plus?

Thank you,

Mine are amazing in the wind. And that is nearly exactly what you pay for when you get the more expensive models - upgraded electronics.

Several times after a match or when hunting I forget they are in and a friend tells me at the bar when we are having drinks my ears are still in.

Easily my best piece of gear I wish I got on day one.

Regards
DT