• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best custom reamers?

64Rambler

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2022
Alpharetta, GA
Long time listener, first time caller...
Who is good these days with custom reamers? The threads I found are several years old. I'm looking at JGS, Manson, and Clymer, in no particular order.
Thanks in advance.
Scott

I bought two from Pacific Tool & Gauge and have had good success with them.

JGS and Manson. Nobody here that has dealt with PTG for any length of time uses them anymore. They can make a good tool, but its a crapshoot. They define bad customer service.

Manson is a little more reasonably priced than JGS, and slightly quicker with deliveries. JGS was quoting 16-20 weeks for new reamers as of yesterday. If i had to pick one as a favorite, it would be JGS, but I deal with Manson with confidence as well. Clymer always gave me funny vibes with custom orders. Like they're not interested or something. I could be wrong on them.

Last edited:
JGS and Manson. Nobody here that has dealt with PTG for any length of time uses them anymore. They’re the very definition of bad customer service
This wasnt my experience. Dave even got on the phone with me for an hour or so helping me work through the details of my build so I got the right reamer.

There was a thread here a while back that was just about 50 pages long of people ranting about PTG. Just wait a few, those people will post here soon.
Quite a few of them are industry pros, too, and not merely humble hobby machinists like myself.

Quite a few of them are industry pros, too, and not merely humble hobby machinists like myself.
I remember LRI was a strong defender of PTG in that thread. Obviously they order a ton of tooling. Chad later made his own thread officially washing his hands of PTG over repeated fuckups. Good on him for coming back with that.

Edit: Pretty sure chad made his own thread, just my recollection. Could have been in the main thread.

JGS and Manson. Nobody here that has dealt with PTG for any length of time uses them anymore. They can make a good tool, but its a crapshoot. They define bad customer service.

Manson is a little more reasonably priced than JGS, and slightly quicker with deliveries. JGS was quoting 16-20 weeks for new reamers as of yesterday. If i had to pick one as a favorite, it would be JGS, but I deal with Manson with confidence as well. Clymer always gave me funny vibes with custom orders. Like they're not interested or something. I could be wrong on them.
Thanks! Manson it is, unless their lead time is longer. I've dealt with PTG once, ordered (and thought I had paid for) a throat reamer it. Got just the reamer, no handle, etc. Called, talked to the same guy I had talked to the first time. He remembered that I wanted the Kit not just the reamer. Had them ship the rest of the kit, but they charged me FULL price for the handle and stuff, rather than the adjusted kit price, and they charged me shipping (again). All done with PTG.

This wasnt my experience. Dave even got on the phone with me for an hour or so helping me work through the details of my build so I got the right reamer.
Then you've already beaten the odds. Consider yourself very fortunate and don't tempt fate again or you will find out what the rest of us already have about dealing with PTG.

Manson is my go to. Just ordered another custom reamer from them this week. Talked to them today. They are running 14-16 weeks right now but in my experience all my Manson readers have showed up earlier than quoted times so we will see... I'm not in a rush so it gets here when it gets here.

Reactions: 64Rambler
I had a side conversation with @MikeRTacOps about a throat reamer, he directed me to JGS. The turn around was not bad and I'm happy with what I received.
They answer the phone at JGS, very friendly people, answered my questions, the overall experience was great.
That said, I'm a NewB in this area and have never used Manson. The things I read on the Hide detoured me from PTG

Reactions: kthomas
Another echo for Manson and JGS. I think I waited 7 months for my last "In stock" PTG purchase. I don't know anyone that has had multiple orders that hasn't had jacked up tooling show up, and the whole "restocking" fee on parts that haven't been made yet...........

Anyway, never had problems with multiple orders from Manson and JGS both.

JGS was a dream to get the specs I wanted in my custom 6 dasher reamer. I would highly recommend them.