• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best DBM for WSM?

sab9259

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
NC
Did a search and found a few things but no first hand advice.

What do you guys run for a DBM for your WSM calibers? I dont load them out too long so could I use modified AICS mags instead of Alphas?

Re: Best DBM for WSM?

I am running Glen Seekins proprietary S.A. bottom metal and mags. These mags have the room for a usable max cartridge length of 3.15. I am running the 162 A-max at 2.95 so I don't necessarily need the extra but it's there if I do.

I run a 178 A-Max at 2.80 so Im even shorter. Can i run a standard DBM like an M5 and use standard mags or will I have to run the proprietary metal and alpha mags?

A-max's on a whole have fairly short bearing surface. Even with the short neck of the 300 WSM cartridge, seating the 178 that short is robbing performance inherent of the cartridge design. If you are stuck running this COAL due to a short throat you should be fine with the standard bottom metal and mag offerings though I couldn't tell you if the WSM cases will fit the 308 style mag and follower.

Never asked, are you running a short or long action?

Running a short action, Im stuck due to a short throat. Dont really understand why the chamber is so short but I guess thats the way it is..shoots bugholes though so I hate to mess with having it set back.

I was running the 208 A-max in my 300WSM at 2.935 and getting 2950 fps with RL-17. I had it built on a long action.

My 7WSM is built on a Stiller Predator S.A. and throated for the 175 SMK, so I have plenty of room for the 162 A-max.

As far as having your barrel set back, you don't have to. You can have your smith advance the throat with a throating reamer .10 or .20 thou and still be GTG

I called Seekins last month, they told me they are currently no longer
producing their WSM dbm, due to lack of demand.

Well I guess that answers that question..di you find another DBM for your needs?