• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Best deal in Clip On NV? Refurb PVS-27s?

GhostFace

Verified Asshole
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2003
    Indiana
    It's been awhile since I looked at these for our department, last I knew the refurb 27s were the best thing going but I'm not sure if those are still available. I'm looking at purchasing 2 maybe 4 depending on price. If I can get into them for un $10K a unit I can get 4. I don't know if that's doable or not. Any suggestions?

there are no refurb 27's. they are either unit trade in/upgrade with many being brand new unmounted, trade in or brand new. there is no refurb program going on like the pvs-30 had.

Reactions: jwramp
    They're a smoking deal and look great in front of a 1-8. If I were a cop, I'd be stoked to have a pvs27 issued.

The only issue is that it's kinda hard to have a pinhole cover for bright environment use. The cat lens is neat, but i wish it wasn't there. It'd be neat to have a pvs30 with an adjustable iris

As above no refurb 27s. 27s have a little better clarity I think over the 30s.
    27 trade ins are gonna run about 4k ish for a decent unit
    30s sell for.4500-5500 returns
    24s have a really nice image with weight savings but more cheddar.

Thiese going on 308/6.5/223 rifles ?

Downfall some of the turn ins have a poi shift on them over what I assume you will want . While it may be repeatable and good for general purpose.or hunting....for a dept. You should look at new. The old turn in OSTi units are not under any warranty and FLIR might give a hard time with them ?

27s are a good deal for the money and on par/ as good/ slightly better than 30s
    I'll send ya PM on some 27s trade ins

Last edited:
    It's been awhile since I looked at these for our department, last I knew the refurb 27s were the best thing going but I'm not sure if those are still available. I'm looking at purchasing 2 maybe 4 depending on price. If I can get into them for un $10K a unit I can get 4. I don't know if that's doable or not. Any suggestions?

Have your bean counters contact KAC's electro optic div. and ask for a firm quote on 4 units direct ship to agency. You might be surprised.
    Also have your number nerds see what GSA contract pricing would be.
    One or both avenues may net you a price close to or under your 10K threshold.

PLAN B: Have whoever writes your grants get busy. There is a lot of money out there for counter narcotics surveillance and other similar activities. Your grant writer just needs to avoid using the words "weapon mounted" or "weapon site" anywhere in the document. Instead, they load up the grant request with tons of pictures with your NV mounted in front of a spotting scope, video camera or DSLR. Just like agencies magically getting suppressors with PPE safety money after begging for 10 yrs, you might can land your clip on NV with attacking from the flank instead of head on.

The 30 family is the only clip on that is as rugged as the 22/27 family from OSTI and then FLIR. New production 30s will be right on top of the best 27 in performance. Power consumption of the new production 30s are twice as good as the 22/27s. 30s take 1 battery cell and are convertible between AA and CR123 by simply flipping the compartment cap over. You can take a AA that is pretty much dead in anything else and run a 30 for an hour or more on it.

A big consideration should also be the physical size difference between the 27s and the 30s. The big CAT lens on the 27 can get in the way of mounting RAPTORs, PEQs, etc. on a RAP rail or similar.

I have a fine ass 27 and am a believer in that family but the 30s have proven themselves to us.

./

You might try sure shot night vision. Jarred has gotten in some used PVS 27s and he is re-tubing and refurbishing some. Worth giving him a call and seeing if the units will work for you. I think they are going for around 10k refurbed although he might give you a deal for LE and multiple units.

Reactions: deersniper
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, Its been a while since I have looked into NV and I knew a lot has changed so that why I asked.

These will be going on .308 bolt guns, maybe semis in the future. Since this is a department purchase the sale will have to be through a dealer but thanks for all of the offers of private sales.

Reactions: Terry Cross

GSA contract price for new 30 is $9,870.00 each if ordering under 5 units.
    Price is good through 2023.

Boom. Your agency can get 4 of them for less than your red line of $10k each.
    You would be crazy to buy any refurb when you can get new with factory warranty.

./

I’ve got a few options that I could go over with you. Got some new 2124 filmless WP units showing up this week from L3 also. Feel free to give me a call or pm me here.

thanks!
    Jay

Reactions: Bulletsmith