• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Deal on Fed Gold Medal 175SMK???

762Fundi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2006
I do not know where to post this so mods feel free to move it.

Best Deal on Fed Gold Medal 175SMK??? I am taking a class soon and need to make a big purchase. Any suggestions on where to buy?

Re: Best Deal on Fed Gold Medal 175SMK???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">try cheaper than dirt or</span> <span style="color: #FF0000">palmetto armory</span> </div></div>
+1

Palmetto is hard to beat,just have to hope it's in stock they tend to run out of stuff.

Palmetto raised the price to $19,99/box on FGMM.
Southwest Ammunition has the 175 in FC brass for $18.50/box and Copper Creek has their gas gun load for $18.49.
All the above will shoot as good as the FGMM, atleast they do in my rifles.

What class are you taking?

I was looking around as well. Palmetto is probably the cheapest I've found but as stated above they raised their price a dollar a box. Let me know if you find cheaper

SW ammo is good stuff, but don't forget to add their shipping costs when you compare prices because that will bump the cost at least a dollar a box.

I agree the shipping from Palmetto is much better. I did however order 400 rounds from Southwest two days ago and called them for the order. The shipping was cheaper when I called than was calculated on the web site. The total amount was cheaper than Palmetto state even with the added cost in shipping. Only by a couple bucks but the SW shoots better so a win-win for me.

Palmetto sells .308and 7.62x51 FGMM. only difference is brass.
Ive chrono'd both and they're identical velocity and accuracy wise in my GAPs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Palmetto sells .308and 7.62x51 FGMM. only difference is brass.

</div></div>

Good info based on actual testing Tom thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: southpaw357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I typically wait for midway to do a sale @ 24 bucks a box. Im almost poitive the federal stuff at palmetto marked 7.62x51 is not the same stuff as what i buy at midway which is marked 308 win. Im sure this has been discussed elsewhere on the hide. Here is what i buy at midway, my trued up 700 5r LOVES this stuff.

http://m.youtube.com/?appcache_off=...ED_ERR: DOM Exception 22#/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng

</div></div>

No offense, but you are wrong. I bought 400 rounds from Palmetto marked .308 FGMM Sierra BTHP for $17.99 a box about a month ago. That was 175 gr. I have never seen anybody match that price....period.

Thanks, I'll let y'all know what I do and how it turns out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: southpaw357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I typically wait for midway to do a sale @ 24 bucks a box. Im almost poitive the federal stuff at palmetto marked 7.62x51 is not the same stuff as what i buy at midway which is marked 308 win. Im sure this has been discussed elsewhere on the hide. Here is what i buy at midway, my trued up 700 5r LOVES this stuff.

http://m.youtube.com/?appcache_off=...ED_ERR: DOM Exception 22#/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng

</div></div>

No offense, but you are wrong. I bought 400 rounds from Palmetto marked .308 FGMM Sierra BTHP for $17.99 a box about a month ago. That was 175 gr. I have never seen anybody match that price....period. </div></div>

No offense taken, you are absolutely correct. I just looked further at palmettos site and found the 308 175s for 20 bucks a box which appears to be their price at the moment. My bad, thanks for setting me straight. Here is the link. What a smokin deal, wish i had known of it sooner.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...bthp-20rds.html

I only wish i would have bought more when they dropped it to $17.99, but $20 is still a great price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: southpaw357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense taken, you are absolutely correct. I just looked further at palmettos site and found the 308 175s for 20 bucks a box which appears to be their price at the moment. My bad, thanks for setting me straight. Here is the link. What a smokin deal, wish i had known of it sooner.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...bthp-20rds.html</div></div>
Ya'll have no idea how good you got it. The last boxes of that (linked above, not linked ammo) which I'd purchased up here was $45.99 CDN + 13.5% taxes. Each.

Land of the Free,,,,

Damn I would love for them to put it at $17.99 again, I would drop a bank roll
smile.gif

Palmetto, are you listening?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Palmetto sells .308and 7.62x51 FGMM. only difference is brass.
</div></div>

I disagree on velocity as I recently did testing in my GAP-10 also and the 7.62 175SMK is slower than even the .308 168SMK by roughly 50-55fps. I agree accuracy is 100% though...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just placed an order and they seem to be the cheapest I've found including shipping

I would like to give a HUUUUGE Thankyou to Nicole at Palmetto for being so lovely and helpful in processing my order!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Palmetto sells .308and 7.62x51 FGMM. only difference is brass.
</div></div>

I disagree on velocity as I recently did testing in my GAP-10 also and the 7.62 175SMK is slower than even the .308 168SMK by roughly 50-55fps. I agree accuracy is 100% though... </div></div>

The 175-gr SMK loads are usually 50-fps slower then the 168-gr SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Southwest is tops for price and quality </div></div>

+1 Awesome performing ammo. I was shooting at 500 today and it performed excellent. Gonna use it in a match this weekend aswell. I picked up 800 rounds of the 175s in a trade I did with them and will buy more when I run out. Great guys excellent ammo. Shipping stinks sure is handy to have them local. Good luck whichever you decide to do though.

There is a few places that are offering Federal Gold Medal ammo for a decent price. Ammoman includes shipping in his price but not sure how much ammo you need. Here are some of the sites I've seen that are currently selling FGM for about $19-20 per box:
1. http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/308-762x51
2. http://www.ammoman.com/c/18/308-762x51
3. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...h-20rd-box.html

All of these sites do no include shipping other than Ammoman.com These all seem to be decently priced right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Palmetto sells .308and 7.62x51 FGMM. only difference is brass.
</div></div>

I disagree on velocity as I recently did testing in my GAP-10 also and the 7.62 175SMK is slower than even the .308 168SMK by roughly 50-55fps. I agree accuracy is 100% though... </div></div>
Im talking about 175 .308 versus 175 7.62x 51,,, same/same

How is the aerodynamics of the SMK 168gr. BTHP vs. say Hornady 168gr. BTSP, BTFMJ, or A-Max?

Does anyone notice a difference at distances from 500-1000 yards? I would think the HP's drag differently against the wind than say a SP or FMJ at long distances, but I can't soot past 100 at nearby ranges.

Sorry for any thread derailment, FGMM is great ammo!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ammo Engine </div></div>

Is this a joke? $52.83 a box is highway robbery.

Palmetto state usually has the best price altho i have heard a few horror stories lately pertaining to their customer service.

I have never purchased ammo from Southwest but I have used Palmetto State Armory and been pleased with shipping time and price for FGMM....I think the last time I bought it was 18.99 for 168's and 19.99 for 175's.