• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best Devcon for Bedding?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Was looking at the Devcon metal-putty selection and was wondering if "Titanium-Putty" would give me any problems?

One of its suggested uses if to repair parts intended to be precision machined. Sounds like a good quality, suggesting its uber stable...Plus, its fuckin' TITANIUM!

Assuming this would also work with Kiwi as a release agent?

Re: Best Devcon for Bedding?

10110 is all you'll need. The Titanium is about twice or three times the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was looking at the Devcon metal-putty selection and was wondering if "Titanium-Putty" would give me any problems?

One of its suggested uses if to repair parts intended to be precision machined. Sounds like a good quality, suggesting its uber stable...Plus, its fuckin' TITANIUM!

Assuming this would also work with Kiwi as a release agent? </div></div>

Just go with Devcon Steel Putty.

Johnson's Paste Wax for a release agent.

Some people use PAM for a release agent.

The 10110 mentioned above is the Steel putty, I've also uses Aluminum and it seems to work fine as well.

The steel, aluminum and Ti reinforce a great epoxy base. I would use any of them (10110 is my usual blend).
Hornady OneShot is my release agent of choice with Kiwi for threaded stuff.

Be careful with that. Devcon also offers a syringe based product that is sold in alot of hardware stores called Titanium metal epoxy. That is not the same as the industrial titanium epoxy you would get from someplace like Brownells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10110 is all you'll need. </div></div>

+1

OK here is an engineering question that I have been tossing around in my head for a while now.

When you are bedding a rifle do you want to match the CTE (Coefficient of Thermal Expansion) between the bedding compound (epoxy) and the CTE of the action or the CTE of the stock?

Here are some CTE's of common materials used in a rifle:

Epoxy, castings resins & compounds, unfilled ~ 31 x 10-6 in/in oF
Steel ~ 7.3 x 10-6 in/in oF
Steel Stainless Austenitic (304) ~ 9.6 x 10-6 in/in oF
Steel Stainless Austenitic (310) ~ 8.0 x 10-6 in/in oF
Steel Stainless Austenitic (316) ~ 8.9 x 10-6 in/in oF
Steel Stainless Ferritic (410) ~ 5.5 x 10-6 in/in oF
Devcon Technical Data including CTE's

It makes sense to me to keep the bedding material and the stock material as close as possible in physical properties to ensure a monolithic block.

Also if the stock/bedding material has a lower compressive strength than the action (steel) it should not exert any forces on the action that are great enough to cause deflection.

Has anybody done any testing on this? I can't remember seeing anything in <span style="text-decoration: underline">Rifle Accuracy Facts</span> by Harold R. Vaughn about this. I think I am going to go dust that book off...

Man you just opened a big can of worms. I was discussing this with a rocket scientist (yes an actual RS) who is getting into benchrest. He also pointed out the need for the action, base, rings and scope tube to be of similiar materials to avoid thermal compresion or stress as the action heats and cools.

I should have walked away before he went to deep on it, now I cannot imagine ever being able to shoot small groups again with a stainless rifle, steel scope, steel base and rings, steel epoxy, fiberglass stock and aluminum bottom metal.

If you use the titanium putty and screw up you need carbide tools to remove the stuff...or lots of carbon steel bits.