• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Die Set to buy for 308 reloading???

texbone

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2009
Katy, Texas
Is this the set to buy from Midsouth..

REDDING RELOADING PRODUCTS 308 WINCHESTER COMPETITION BUSHING NECK DIE SET

Re: Best Die Set to buy for 308 reloading???

Can't go wrong with the redding dies. I use them for 300 win mag, 308, and 223wssm. Bushing neck size is fine if you are reloading brass shot in 1 rifle. If you are shooting brass from more than 1 rifle or for more than 1, you will probably want to full length size.

Randy

That set is good to go. Might want to check around on which bushings to use. I think on a .308 people use .335-.339 depending on the brass and how much neck tension you want to achieve.

I have a Forster Benchrest set that I really like. For a small fee ( maybe $10?) Forster custom honed the neck diameter for me. Now, I don't have to use an expander ball. The seater is top notch. I like Redding too, but the custom neck honing pushes me to Forster nowadays...

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hondo64d</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Forster Benchrest set that I really like. For a small fee ( maybe $10?) Forster custom honed the neck diameter for me. Now, I don't have to use an expander ball. The seater is top notch. I like Redding too, but the custom neck honing pushes me to Forster nowadays...

John</div></div>

I will look into the Forster Monday....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h2osport</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go wrong with the redding dies. I use them for 300 win mag, 308, and 223wssm. Bushing neck size is fine if you are reloading brass shot in 1 rifle. If you are shooting brass from more than 1 rifle or for more than 1, you will probably want to full length size.

Randy</div></div>

Why would this matter...Rookie question I am sure...but I am going to reload fro an AR10 and bolt gun as well...

Different barrels have different chambers. A necked sized round from one gun might not fit into another. You can also get a full length neck bushing die set to control the neck tension and full length at the same time.... or you can keep the brass separate for each gun.

I purchace a reamer for any caliber I want to use and then have my smith make me a die with the same reamer as was used to cut my chamber. Whe I burn the barrel up I give him my reamer and he cuts me a new chamber,the die already made with the reamer is still good to go. BTW I use a bushing die.

I reload ~ 60 different cartridges.
I own ~ 100 die sets.
My bullets, brass, powder, primers, and dies fill 98 file folder boxes.

I make up my own loads and build my own rifles.

My current level of understanding for factory chambered rifles is:

The cheapest path to the most accuracy is a Forster seater die and a Lee Collet neck die.

The Redding set you are looking at will not cost much more nor get measurably worse groups [as long as you are not pulling the expander ball through a tight neck, which you will not be if you use big enough bushings], so feel free to buy the Redding set.