• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best dies and what bushing or Hone too?

tsonda

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Central Texas
Currently shooting a couple of Dashers. I'm using Redding 3 die set with neck bushings. Currently using a .267 Bushing. Im thinking of getting me a new FL sizing die. What would yall recommend, using a COAX. I was thinking a Forster and having it honed. I'm shooting blue box Lapua brass. Measurement of loaded round w/ Berger bullet, is .268-.2685 So what do I get the Forster honed to .266 or .267 L.E.Wilson, Whidden?

I am experiencing a problem with one of the Dashers. The Chamber is slightly larger than the other chamber I have. I don't believe the Redding die is fully sizing the case. And I also want one die instead of two. I'm full length sizing everytime now anyway. So I have two steps

Currently shooting a couple of Dashers. I'm using Redding 3 die set with neck bushings. Currently using a .267 Bushing. Im thinking of getting me a new FL sizing die. What would yall recommend, using a COAX. I was thinking a Forster and having it honed. I'm shooting blue box Lapua brass. Measurement of loaded round w/ Berger bullet, is .268-.2685 So what do I get the Forster honed to .266 or .267 L.E.Wilson, Whidden?

I am experiencing a problem with one of the Dashers. The Chamber is slightly larger than the other chamber I have. I don't believe the Redding die is fully sizing the case. And I also want one die instead of two. I'm full length sizing everytime now anyway. So I have two steps
Check out Forster dies through MidWayUSA or Brownell's. The bushing bump system is very nice.

I'm like you, use a Forster's custom honed FL non-bushing die and (co-ax) anneal every time.
With the Lapua brass using .267 on the Forster and doing fine. Just set die to bump shoulder
back .002 or so and leave alone. Very constant
I would keep the brass separate from the two chambers. Guessing the "larger" chamber might
cause the brass to be worked a little more than the other. You might not get as many loadings
as the other.
Wasn't the same reamer used on both? Or did you have two different smiths cut the chambers?

I have gone to Forster FL die honed by Forster to what I was using for my bushings. I have done that for 6BR and 6X47 Lapua. My case runout has gone to like 90% are .001 or less runout.

A heads up: I did find that as the die comes it is too long to get the shoulder set back to the GO gauge length. I had to grind about .015 off the bottom of the die. Now they work perfectly and I can use my Redding Competition shell holders to fine adjust where it needs to be by case brand. I always set my sizer dies to just have the shell holder just kiss the bottom of the die at the cam over point. That way I constrain the brass to a constant volume regardless of what competition shell holder I use. This gives me another level of consistency.

David

What was t
I have gone to Forster FL die honed by Forster to what I was using for my bushings. I have done that for 6BR and 6X47 Lapua. My case runout has gone to like 90% are .001 or less runout.

A heads up: I did find that as the die comes it is too long to get the shoulder set back to the GO gauge length. I had to grind about .015 off the bottom of the die. Now they work perfectly and I can use my Redding Competition shell holders to fine adjust where it needs to be by case brand. I always set my sizer dies to just have the shell holder just kiss the bottom of the die at the cam over point. That way I constrain the brass to a constant volume regardless of what competition shell holder I use. This gives me another level of consistency.

David
what was the added cost to have them custom hone the dies for you?

$15 now. Still cheap.

Forster's standard full length die neck diameters are not as tight as other manufacturer's standard dies. Make sure you check with Forster before you send in your dies. This is also dependent on your brass thickness so if your running thick brass, such as Peterson, you may still want to hone your dies but thinner brass may not.

Forster's standard full length die neck diameters are not as tight as other manufacturer's standard dies. Make sure you check with Forster before you send in your dies. This is also dependent on your brass thickness so if your running thick brass, such as Peterson, you may still want to hone your dies but thinner brass may not.

My Forster 6BR FLS die sizes the neck down too far IMO for my barrel. My barrel is not of tight neck dimensions. Fired rounds of Lapua blue box, are .2715", loaded rounds are .2695". If I use the FLS die without expander ball the necks come out at .2590" and with expander ball .2680". I don't know of a need to size them up 9 thousandths.

I suspect the 6BR die is intended to be a compromise for guys that turn their necks and those that don't. I plan to send my die off to have it honed when I have some down time. I think I'd like the to be size to about .266" or .267" without expander. That way the expander will only be stretching it back out about 1 or 2 thousandths to make sure any dents from hitting the gun or ground are removed and the neck is perfectly round on the inside.

It depends on the brass and the cartridge. The OP doesn't have the die in possession and I'd suggest asking first. I have Forster dies that required honing and those that didn't.