• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Dies for 45acp

rommel500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
SLO,CA
I am going to be reloading .45acp on my single stage and wanted to know what the best dies for this would be? I have Redding dies for my rifle dies and wanted to stick with the same if possible.

I was looking at these but they say they are optimized for use in a progressive press. Would I also need an expander die on top of this set below? TIA!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=614901

Re: Best Dies for 45acp

I use Hornady dies for 9 40 and 45, they work great and are priced great

+1 on Hornady titanium nitride dies. Mine are coming up on the 20,000 round mark and ammo loaded with them still groups much better than I can shoot and the dies are gentle on brass.

The only thing I'll add is that I use a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die for the final step, as I find that rounds run through this die feed more reliably in a wide variety of firearms and groups are more uniform regardless of what brass I use.

If you are never going to get a progressive, then the Hornady or such carbide die set is gtg. Do get the Lee FC die. It has a carbide ring to iron out the occasional bulge from seating the bullets. For a progressive press the Dillon has a more tapered entry for the sizing die which REALLY helps on centering for sizing. JMHO

1.jpg

For small groups at 100 yards, I use Lee Carbide dies.

To address your queston regarding an expander die, if your powder thrower does not expand the case, then yes, you will need an expander die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on Hornady titanium nitride dies. Mine are coming up on the 20,000 round mark and ammo loaded with them still groups much better than I can shoot and the dies are gentle on brass.

The only thing I'll add is that I use a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die for the final step, as I find that rounds run through this die feed more reliably in a wide variety of firearms and groups are more uniform regardless of what brass I use. </div></div>

So then do you recommend using the Lee Factory Crimp die instead of the Redding Taper Crimp die? Or are you saying to use one after the other?

Most definitely, the Lee FCD is the bomb, and for another 20 bucks it becomes a push thru buldge buster like the Redding GRX

The Hornady dies are GTG. My 45 dies are really nice and price is right. Also take Cobra427s advise. Get the Lee FCD. For auto-loading pistols they are great. I keep my 45 feed with these exact dies.

I formaly used RCBS dies. But the last few years have been using Lee dies with the FC die.

I use Lee Carbide dies in all my pistol cartridges....++1 on the Lee factory crimp die.

+1 one on the lee factory crimp (LFC) for autos it's a must I have shot lots through my glocks and 1911's without issue. Paying attention to detail is the key to reloading for semi-auto's.

I switched to Dillon dies back in the early-to-mid-90s, for a while I was loading/shooting several thousand rounds a month.

Since then, I've continued to use Dillon pistol dies (haven't seen anything that seems better).

If you need to shoot cast bullets for practice (to save costs, etc.) then you will appreciate how easily they disassemble for cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon carbides are pretty sweet. </div></div>

I 2nd the Dillon's

"So, which is best?"

If there was a 'best' we would likely all be using them. There are lots of 'favorites' but no bests of anything.

For handguns I like Lyman dies best, followed by conventional Reddings, because of their excellant expander plug design. I use both with a Lee FCD to finish.

I sure wouldn't pay that "closeout" price for "comp" dies that don't even include an expander!

Dillon dies are designed for Dillon progressive presses. They do not include an expander die, and their sizing die has an extra-wide radius at the mouth to make progressive reloading easier, but it also does not fully resize the case body as close to the head as others. Dillon dies come with lock rings that do not have a set screw or anything to hold them in place while the die is not in the press (they are designed for installing the die once in a tool head and leaving it there). Even Lee lock rings are better than that on a single stage press.

Hornady seating dies also disassemble without tools for cleaning, and also reassemble without affecting the settings. Unlike Dillon, they can crimp while seating, have a sliding alignment sleeve that aligns the bullet and case mouth prior to insertion, have an optional micrometer adjuster, and come with excellent cross-bolt lock rings.

I am not a fan of Lee Carbide Factory Crimp dies for straight wall pistol cartridges. These have a carbide post-sizing ring that, if it does anything to the cartridge, is only ironing over a problem that needs to be found and fixed at its source. Their Factory Crimp dies for rifle and bottleneck pistol cartridges are a completely different design, using a collet, and work very well. Anyone's ordinary taper crimp die works fine, including Lee's. Redding's profile roll crimping die works very well, as does the Hornady seating die. The Hornady seating die can taper crimp or roll crimp, but the adjustment for taper crimp is very touchy. Hornady sells a separate taper crimp die as well.

Andy

Damn,

I overlooked the OPs statement that he'd be using a single stage press.

Have been using Dillon progressives for pistol ammo so long that I didn't consider the limitations when loading on a single-stage.

For single-stage presses, I wouldn't recommend the Dillon dies. They are designed/intended for use on their progressive presses.

For a non-Dillon multiple stage press (5 or 7), you'd also need an expander die to use with the Dillon 3-die set.

Thanks everybody for the info.

I think I will go with the Redding Competition seater but now I am totally confused on the crimp dies... not sure which to go with. The cost is not really an issue I just want to buy once and get everything I need. If its $100 or $200 it really doesn't matter.

So I need these dies -

Sizer
Expander
Seater
Crimper

I would also do the reloading process in that order correct?

Do I need anything else? Again this will be used on a single stage as I don't really have the room for a progressive with my current setup.

Yes that's the correct order of dies.

Almost any plain taper crimp die works great for separately crimping 45 ACP. For me, it would come down to other features like the lock ring, and Hornady would get the nod. Redding Profile crimp die gets the nod if I wanted to roll crimp separately. I always roll crimp while seating though, and it is one less trip through the press.

Lyman or Redding M-type expander dies work very well, but almost any brand but but lee have been serviceable for me, and they would probably work ok with a bit of polishing on the expander and a better lock ring.

Andy

I probably have 7,000+ rounds loaded using my 45acp RCBS carbide die. I'm also a fan of the Hornady pistol dies too. I can't speak for the 45 acp Lee FCD, but I had one for 357/38 and it was total junk. I think I ended up throwing it away. The carbide insert was too tight and would rattle your teeth when trying to pull the round out of the die. I am of the school that you can not seat and crimp in the same step, and since I use a progressive I will buy a 4th die specifically for crimping, so I usually buy a 2nd seat/crimp die.

I have used the taper crimp dies that came with the RCBS or Hornady or whatever in my single stage press and have since switched to the Lee Factory Crimp Dies. they are very easy to use and give a consistent crimp as advertised. I have only had positive experiences with them although, just above, someone mentioned not being happy with the performance. Maybe he just got a bad one that slipped through QC? I recommend checking them out. As I said, they are very easy to use/set up and give a consistent crimp.

All my handgun dies were Dillon, which were provided when I bought my RL550B used from another handloader. An enetire shooting team used the press and dies for several years, and never had any problems that could be pointed back at the dies themselves. I still have the press, no longer own handguns, and have parted with the dies.

I parted with my handguns when I moved to NY. I just never got around to getting the lcense, and deep down, resented the whole handgun licensing process in this state. Entirely too much politics involved. I really don't have any pressing need to have or use a handgun anyway.

Greg