• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best drag bag for 2023?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    Looking for another drag bag. I have several of the midwayusa bags and have had good luck. I would like to get another of the large size (holds about a 51” rifle)

This will be for my AI used in the field for crop damage deer shooting mainly.

I’ve been happy with the midway bags but do wish they had more side protection on the rifle. I also would like to get one really nice bag. We pack a decent amount of gear in the truck and the rifles get stacked in the weather tech tool box in the back

Would either the tac ops or eberlestock provide more protection? Thinking about picking up the black multicam bags currently in the tac ops thread

I also have a long voodoo case. Which I like and had has the added protection on the sides

So basically tac ops or eberlestock?
    Which provides the best protection?

The style I want to keep using is the bag below. Not looking for backpack style.

I know several members here own both and see the eberlestock recommended more by them. Which is why I’m asking before purchasing
    E06CD631-A7C5-45AB-89BB-ECF2B63DBBD7.jpeg
    902A9B26-5B50-4636-8BE9-FA85A1037900.jpeg
    F4AB0383-22FC-44E1-9EA5-1ABA48D6779C.png

Last edited:
    I had this rifle folded in a saviour bag for a few trips last year. Although the length was nice it was wider than I wanted especially with gear in the side pockets. Went back to the regular drag bag

The only problem with the AIM folder bag is it’s a little too short for a 24” barreled AIAX with a 9” suppressor attached. OAL folded of that setup is about 44”.

The AIM 42 folder bags state that their max ID length is 40.5”. If they were juuust maybe 4-5” longer…dang it. It seems like the bag was sized for a 20” 308 AX (OAL ~40”).

I own an AIM 55 and it’s pretty nice, although if I remember correctly an AX with the bolt in it and cocked down is too wide for it to comfortably zip closed. Which is weird; you'd think a British bag company would ensure the UK’s famous rifle would fit in all their cases?

I might be mixing up bags in my head, however. I can test it if you want me to.

Edit: I just tried it because it was bugging me. An AIAX with bolt closed or open w/Razzor Gen II 4-5-27 and sky-high rings fits fine in an AIM 55. I must’ve been remembering my AG Precision Rifle Cases (52” & 58”). I tried them again and although I can zip it, the zipper is a little wavy afterwards, like when you barely fit in a coat or something. I have to pull harder than normal to close it…not exactly force it, but close.

The restriction in the AG bags I think is from the combo of very high rings pushing the scope up higher than the bag designers intended. It’s the scopes windage turret and focus knob that are actually the culprit, in my case.

Do the TacOps bags have hip belts?

Last edited:
    Looking for another drag bag. I have several of the midwayusa bags and have had good luck. I would like to get another of the large size (holds about a 51” rifle)

This will be for my AI used in the field for crop damage deer shooting mainly.

I’ve been happy with the midway bags but do wish they had more side protection on the rifle. I also would like to get one really nice bag. We pack a decent amount of gear in the truck and the rifles get stacked in the weather tech tool box in the back

Would either the tac ops or eberlestock provide more protection? Thinking about picking up the black multicam bags currently in the tac ops thread

I also have a long voodoo case. Which I like and had has the added protection on the sides

So basically tac ops or eberlestock?
    Which provides the best protection?

The style I want to keep using is the bag below. Not looking for backpack style.

I know several members here own both and see the eberlestock recommended more by them. Which is why I’m asking before purchasing
    View attachment 8071997View attachment 8071998View attachment 8072001
    I own both Eberlestock and TacOps drag bags and I like both. I like the TacOps more due to its build quality. My Eberlestock is 6 years old and it is in decent shape but the TacOps is better built. However they are more expensive. I have bought both of mine in group buys and got them at a price closer to the Eberlestock. A steal if you ask me.

They're both very well balanced which is my most important criterion. The TacOps accessory storage pockets are also laid out better for me. There are also more pattern options. Mike made a bunch of patterns provided there was enough demand

It comes down to your belief that the extra cost is worth it to you

Reactions: hafejd30
    The Tac Ops bags are obviously great bags and Mike is a Fixture here. That said, I really like my Galatti Delux Bag, it's held up really really well.

Reactions: hafejd30
    I have a few different drag bag-type cases that have been great.

I've got the Triad Tactical Precision Rifle Carry case that I've had since 2016 and it's held up great. I've got the 42" version (fits a rifle with a 20" barrel or a 26" barrel with a folder) but they also make a 52". It's not a "full-featured drag bag" but I don't think that matters for your application. You can add backpack straps if you want. US made.

I also have the AG M2010 case. It'll fit a 50" rifle (fits my 300 norma with a 29.5" barrel and a folder). It's a super high quality case, well padded and US made. Has held up great.

Also have a 52" AG Precision Rifle case. Less padded than the M2010, more similar to the Triad but with less pockets/extra storage space. US made, high quality and has held up great.

Both the Triad and AG Precision Rifle case pretty much live in the cab of my truck and see a ton of use and have held up really well.

Reactions: Triad and hafejd30
    Thank you! Unfortunately, out of stock. Of course!

unless you need to actually drag it through he brush just get a light weight hard case

cheaper and more protective

bungee to to the back of the ATV or toss it in the truck 10X better

unless you need to actually drag it through he brush just get a light weight hard case

cheaper and more protective

bungee to to the back of the ATV or toss it in the truck 10X better

Lightweight Hard case isn't good for dragging through the brush?

I mean if your trying to play sniper, crawling.
    Not playing sniper. But I do load mine with bipod, rangefinder, tripod, among other gear. I also use it as a rear rest in the field

I have my AXMC in a Plano field locker. Although very protective it’s terrible for taking up space.

Keep in mind this is 3-4 guys. All guns and gear in a crew cab truck with a 6.5 bed and the biggest weather tech box they make. Packed solid with gear

Which is why the short/fat saviour case didn’t work very well

Reactions: brianf
    Tac ops ordered

Thank you @MikeRTacOps
    Ooops I’m too late. See my post above as I updated it. I actually tested the fit because I didn’t want to besmirch AIM. In short, I misremembered and the AIM works fine.

The AG Precision Rifle Cases are nice because they are the slimmest , which seems to be important to you (and me).

What’s irritating is that off all my cases, a ~$95 Bulldog Tactical Long Range 54” rifle case, made in Asia, is the easiest to deal with. It has more width than the AG case and less stuff and pockets hanging off it than a typical drag bag like my AIM 55. I tend to use this one the most, unfortunately.

6C4BB3DC-5ABF-48B9-A9C0-C1A77BB1A434.jpeg

It’s waaay better made than an Allen, probably near the level of a Savior. But the base fabric doesn’t quite hang with the AG/AIM. You can see a little strain when carrying a heavy rifle and using the shoulder strap. It’s also quite a bit thinner than the AIM but not much wider than the AG so stuffing it in the car is no problem. The zips are of lower quality than the other two bags, and it could use an even wider zipper padding flap covering the top of the scope (minor quibble). I guess of we’re being picky, if the main pocket was just a little bigger like the AG, that would be perfect.

And it’s the perfect length for me. It fits lengthwise in my 4runner but fits my unfolded AIAX with 24” barrel and 9” suppressor. To use the AG case I need to use my 58” model, which then only fits diagonally in my SUV.

But IMHO, for a simple non-drag bag, the basic design/dimensions of the Bulldog are better than the AG. I wish an American or British manufacture would improve the design slightly and use better materials.

Last edited:
    Tactical Tailor (American Made) is blowing these out. $267.67
    Black and Coyote 51” long.

I just bought a Voodoo drag bag from a buddy of mine for $100.00 He said he gave $119.00 plus shipping.... He dicided he didnt need it after he had it for a couple of weeks....Looks great, feels great, padded very good lots of storage. It also has straps for back packing and a single strap for just the shoulder, it is also said to be water resistant.... It is holding my 700p with a leupold scope, mk4, log book and ammo just fine. also has 2 pockets in side that look to be for hand guns.
    Hope it holds up for you but the Voodoo drag bag that I have hasn't held up well. I don't think it had seen more than a year of mild use (nothing like my AG and Triad bags have seen) and the zipper on one of the pockets had come unstitched from the material and a few other seams had failed as well. It's an inexpensive bag but in my experience no where near the quality of the good US made stuff.

You know, I’m getting old and my mind is turning to dust. This has been bugging me.

What was giving me the memory of the AIAX not fitting in the AIM 55 was actually this: it is too wide to fit if FOLDED.

Which isn’t that surprising, especially given that they sell bags expressly for folded rifles. I was trying to fit my AIAX with the 9” suppressor attached and it was barely fitting. Thought I’d buy myself some room by folding the AX. No go.

395EF236-98C3-46F2-8416-1E8A7EA3B715.jpeg

FD38ECB7-E9C0-434B-BFE1-0D16825E52A4.jpeg

Might fit if you have shorter rings.

But still I was a bit put out when I discovered this.

173C3F37-FA49-4214-A5EC-4E86ED21AFE5.jpeg

This concludes my journey of re-self-discovery.

• Haha
    Reactions: Huskydriver
    Is TacOps still doing business?

Website not working. EO and MH out of stock on all bags.

Anybody know of a 65-72" case?
    The only one I found was Armageddon Gear's ELR rifle case.
    Definitely want American made just was not looking forward to dropping 6 bills.

Anybody know of a 65-72" case?
    The only one I found was Armageddon Gear's ELR rifle case.
    Definitely want American made just was not looking forward to dropping 6 bills.
    That’s the only one I know of. As it’s a low-volume sort of product, ~$550-$600 for a USA-made case seems reasonable to me.

See if Brownells carries it as their shipping is reasonable (or free, depending).