• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best dry bullet seating product?

brianf

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
NY
Looking to see if anyone has used a different product other than graphite with the Redding Ceramic Balls for dipping case necks.

if you have used something else with a brush and not a “case dip” post that as well.

moly?
WS2?
HBN?

any others I’m missing?

pros / cons

price isn’t a consideration

cases will be cleaned with limited carbon if any in neck or virgin brass.

Thanks

Don't know that you will ever find the "best".

Applied with a q-tip before resizing neck with a gage pin and again before bullet seating.

1623420509645.png

Reactions: brianf
Don't know if it is the best, but "motor mica" works from me on necks that have been cleaned by tumbling in stainless media. Dipping the case neck into coated balls or other coated media, same as your current method.

Brownells has a refill for Lyman, they used to also have their Sinclair brand:
749-013-127WB
Replacement Mica Refill (1 oz.)
Mfr Part: 7991415

Has anyone seen “cold welding” occur with powder compared to wax/lube?

Looking to see if anyone has used a different product other than graphite with the Redding Ceramic Balls for dipping case necks.

if you have used something else with a brush and not a “case dip” post that as well.

moly?
WS2?
HBN?

any others I’m missing?

pros / cons

price isn’t a consideration

cases will be cleaned with limited carbon if any in neck or virgin brass.

Thanks

Why do you hate the graphite?

You can’t improve on graphite simply because lube in the neck has to be just right. It can’t be too slick and it can’t contaminate the powder. Sure, there are slicker lubes but they will screw up your combustion. The lube needs to be slick enough to allow for smooth bullet seat and that’s it.

I personally stopped using dry lube and switched to Hornady One Shot. Spray the cases in a plastic bag, shake, resize, prime, powder, and seat bullet. Bullet seating is consistent... And SD/ES is the same from when I used to dip my necks in graphite.

Best part... It's CLEAN.