• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best Dual-use powder?

trpr154

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2009
KS
I am looking for the best powder for the 6.5 Grendel that will also work well in the 30-06.

I thought about W748. I know it will work well in the 6.5, but don't know about the 30-06.

I want accuracy above all else in the 6.5, and enough velocity to stay well above super sonic past 1000 yds.

thanks

Re: Best Dual-use powder?

The 6.5 is a Sabre Competition Deluxe 20" SS 1 in 9 twist. The 30-06 is just a sporter hunting rifle.

Vastly different expansion ratios. Best for one will be a compromise for the other. A lot depends of course on the bullet weights chosen. JMHO

Would rather compromise on the 30-06. Plan on using 120 gr - 123 gr 6.5 bullets.

Thought about Varget , but velocities were a little lower than with most suitable 6.5 powders. May be a possibility though.

If you shot 130-150gr bullets from the 30-06 you can get reasonable results. If the 30-06 is just going to be a hunting rifle then I don't think you have much to worry about.

W748 is faster than H335 and you're certainly taking a hit in 30-06 velocity.

It would make a good powder for 110 Vmax in the -06, and you could push it pretty hard at that point.

I think that the W748, and maybe BLC-2 will work well (enough) in the '06, assuming bullet weights at the lighter end of the scale. I'd recommend IMR-4064, but I don't use the '06 with bullets under 150gr and I know nada about loading for the Grendel.

Greg

BLC-2 works well in the 06 for 150's, actually it works very well. I don't know how it will work in the 6.5G at all, only what the reloading manuals say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that the W748, and maybe BLC-2 will work well (enough) in the '06, assuming bullet weights at the lighter end of the scale. I'd recommend IMR-4064, but I don't use the '06 with bullets under 150gr and I know nada about loading for the Grendel.

Greg </div></div>

That's the same info that I've seen so far with the W748 in the 06. I'd like to run 165 gr or higher in the 06, but don't think it will work very well.

I might just end up using two different powders. Unless someone else on the hide has some other advice.

W748 will work fine with 165ish grain bullets in the 30-06 and there are plenty of good hunting bullets out there in 165. I used one to kill a deer last year with my 30-06.

Anyone have a load for W748 with a 165 gr bullet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: overgunned</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4350.......</div></div>

Yep, H4350
I could load every rifle in my safe with it and do just fine.

I do actually have H4350 on my shelf already. I use it to load my 25-06.

Thanks for the W748 30-06 load data BCP. Might give that a try.

I have tried to do this sort of thing and in the end I end up with a shelf full of powders, most overlap but each suit each caliber just a bit better than the rest, or give an edge with accuracy in another. Getting one powder to do it all is more difficult than it appears at first.

You could probably put a 4 cylinder gas engine in a F-350 and make it function, but I doubt it will perform like you want it to!
Not trying to be a smart ass, but I've been down this road before with other calibers, and as was stated above, you wind up with a shelf full of powders anyway! As long as you are reloading different calibers, and even different weights for the same caliber, you will use all of that powder for testing! When you find the powder that works, buy enough to do what you need, but don't think that is the last powder you will buy..... something new always comes out, whether it be a new bullet you will want to try, a new powder to hit the market, or more commonly, a new rifle shows up in your safe
wink.gif

Just my $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quackaddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried to do this sort of thing and in the end I end up with a shelf full of powders, most overlap but each suit each caliber just a bit better than the rest, or give an edge with accuracy in another. Getting one powder to do it all is more difficult than it appears at first. </div></div>

You can say that again!! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quackaddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried to do this sort of thing and in the end I end up with a shelf full of powders, most overlap but each suit each caliber just a bit better than the rest, or give an edge with accuracy in another. Getting one powder to do it all is more difficult than it appears at first. </div></div>

I want to expand upon this:

Once you are shooting more than one 8 pound jug of powder per year, not only is attempting to center around a single powder fruitless, it is not even economic! Powder lasts a while in storage (years) and therefore it simply makes sense in the long run to optimize each load with its own powder--just like you optimize the load with its own bullet.

The only down side to picking out a different powder per caliber is the start up costs. In the long run it costs no different to use different powder for each load for each caliber.

W748 will work very well in the 30-06 with light to midweight bullets.

Since you said it's a hunting rifle, take a look at the Barnes TTSX. With a 24" bbl, you should have no trouble making 3100-3200 fps with the 130gr, 3000 fps with the 150gr, of 2800 fps with the 168gr. All at around 58-60K lbs-psi.

Well, if you're talking 223, 308 and 30-06 then you can get away with lots of powders as a "one" powder as long as you are willing to compromise on certain bullet weights either on the low end or high end. For instance I used IMR 4320 for years in 223, 243 and 30-06 (works well in 308 too) and got great results in all of them. So it can be done but due to the nature of the reloading hobby you always end up with more because part of the enjoyment comes from trying out different combinations.

MM hit it well. BCP caught it too. My "load all" powder that I use in a lot of applications is BLC2. It meters very well, it's cheap compared to Varget or Alliant brands, and I use it in the following application

223's: 55-75gr bullets (50% here)
308's: all the way to 175gr bullets (very little 308 loading)
30-06: up to 165gr bullets, mostly 150 FMJ's (50% here)

I burn through about 7.5-8lb a year. If anyone wants to trade some H335 for BLC-2 I have lots and lots of H335 that doesn't get too much use.