• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best economical factory bolt rifle

Enoch777

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2018
Years ago I sold my HateCa built M40 A1 semi clone built on a USMC return McMillan smear stock. Just looking to get back in for the fun and decent basics from the ground again. Not looking for anything custom at this time, I'm looking for the best economical factory rifle to get back in with and just shoot. It doesn't have to be anything custom buildable platform for the future either. I've been out for some time so I'd like some good help getting caught back up from the good folks here, thanks.

I really like my Howa 1500 for basic stock stuff. Pretty sweet to shoot for an even sweeter price. Got my last heavy barreled action delivered for $377 and threw it on a Bell and Carlson stock. Bout $600 total in the gun before optics.

Reactions: Jackalope
In the R700 budget range (~$700), I'd look at Tikkas. If you want to build it yourself for a bit less as user AA7364 mentioned, the Howa 1500 barreled actions from Brownell's are a good option. If you're looking in the sub-$500 range, I'd look at the Ruger American.

Reactions: AA7364
Bergara b14, Tikka ctr. If you want to go really cheap and build up later, Ruger American Predator.

I'd go 6.5 creedmoor. Easy, vanilla, good performance.

The only issue I have with the Howa is the bolt knob. It's like they made it for a little kid. I sent mine off to Short Action Customs and had Mark install a tactical bolt knob. Night and day difference.

Another vote for Howa.

The only issue I have with the Howa is the bolt knob. It's like they made it for a little kid. I sent mine off to Short Action Customs and had Mark install a tactical bolt knob. Night and day difference.

I think they’ve started threading them from the factory. Phoenix Custom Rifles also does a great job with the conversion otherwise.

Reactions: AA7364
Like to stay within $1000 with optic to get started, and I'm already set up with great 308 reloading equipment but have tossed around getting another caliber. I've always thought about .260 but open to opinions there too.

Somebody better not say Savage.

1521824934815.jpg

Ruger american predator = 400+shipping and FFL so 450
Athlon Argos BTR= 329, calling cameralandny may get you a better price on it. A swfa or vortex would be nice as well and doable with the budget
Nightforce rings= 77 bucks
--------------------------
Total= 856

Magpul American hunter stock = 270 or so after coupons for cash off and shipping
----------------
Total=1126 but the stock is unnecessary, just nice.

You could also get the more expensive model of american that accepts ai style mags for 442, that would get you half the benefit of the magpul stock for only 50 extra making your original total right at 900. Use that extra hundred to get a good brake to reduce the recoil on what is a not heavy weight rifle.

Reactions: Bulldog10
I'd also say Tikka... but realize you're stuck with a pretty damn thin barrel unless you pony up most of your budget for a Varmint or CTR. I will say I'm not a great long range shot and have gotten several <MOA 5-shots @ 100 with my .308 Lite. It's not incapable of accuracy... you just have to accept that it's limiting you.

I bought mine with a stacked holiday-season price match, military discount, and discount gift cards, which got it to a price where I could just about buy a barrel I'd really like with a barrel nut system for the price difference between it and a CTR. YMMV paying more normal prices, that would probably level the playing field a lot.

The barrel profile or price is one of very few downsides, though, depending if you think you'll break the bolt stop or care that every caliber shares the same action length.

Reactions: Straightarrow1
This post brings up a good point. What are you doing with it. Do you want the best thin-barrel or a thicker barrel for extended shot strings at the range?
Tikka CTR is always the obvious answer to "best bang for the buck", but only if your budget allows. Bergara and Howa are both pushing the limits of value as well. And I'd throw Savage and Ruger in there if your budget is really limited.

Personally, I run a CTR and couldn't be happier with it. Finished a match last month by hitting a 16", 8", 6", and 4" square at 800 yards. Hard to find a ton of factory rifles capable of that kind of accuracy and consistency.
I'd also say Tikka... but realize you're stuck with a pretty damn thin barrel unless you pony up most of your budget for a Varmint or CTR. I will say I'm not a great long range shot and have gotten several <MOA 5-shots @ 100 with my .308 Lite. It's not incapable of accuracy... you just have to accept that it's limiting you.

I bought mine with a stacked holiday-season price match, military discount, and discount gift cards, which got it to a price where I could just about buy a barrel I'd really like with a barrel nut system for the price difference between it and a CTR. YMMV paying more normal prices, that would probably level the playing field a lot.

The barrel profile or price is one of very few downsides, though, depending if you think you'll break the bolt stop or care that every caliber shares the same action length.

Gonna piss off the haters but here goes:

Rueger American Predator....they shoot great and if you put them in a better stock it's very solid shooter ( Boyd's AT1 for adjust on the fly)
Savage 12 FV from Cabela's....26" heavy countor varmint barrel. Accu-trigger. You can get it in 6.5 or 308. I have the 308 and it's silly good. There are great inexpensive chassis's that allow you to over come the internal mag and you have a really good start to a fun shooter. The bolt lift is probably the only gripe but it's not to hard to fix that.
T/C compass: Sporter barrel but threaded but it shoots surprisingly well. Bolt handle is like the Howas though....made for small hands.
Howas....all stated above.

My buddy loves his American predator. For the money, it’s a great buy.

I love the Howa 1500's stock they are a very accurate rifle and if you want there are enough parts out there that you can build it up to a semi custom that I feel will run pretty well with the custom actions. I built a semi-custom 300-375 Ruger and it has been a great rifle. I do have to admit the barrels are a bitch to get off so I just make a small relief cut and they spin right off. I know with the right equipment they can be taken off without the cut I just find it real easy to chuck it up make the cut and spin the barrel off.

wade

@Enoch777 this weekend is the time to buy glass. SWFA.com is having a sale 10% off store wide and 15% off all Vortex products.

Get your glass now, and the rifle later. The SWFA 10x or 12x mil quad will do all you need - and do it well. Buy Seekins rings at the same time and done.

The blued steel Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 creed with 24" barrel is your answer. It is worth the money and comes with a picatinny base. You may end up $100 over budget, but again it's worth it.