• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best EDC Pocket Knife?

Kwfranklin88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Alabama
I need a new edc knife. I’m hoping to stay under $100. What do you recommend? If it’s slightly over budget but worth it I’ll consider it also.

Any knife you will carry everyday will work. I like anything with a pocket clip and a locking blade. I have carried a plane jane $50 Kershaw for the last 5 or so years and Gerber knives before that. I eventually lose them all.

I have carried a knife everyday since high school. I would rather leave my phone at home than my knife.

What are your EDC requirements? I've got a Case serpentine stockman with micarta scales that I'm quite fond of. Small and light weight so it disappears in a pocket. Let's face it, EDC means carried (not necessarily used) a lot. Three blades, and one is an über-useful sheepsfoot. It's "old timey" so no one thinks of it as a weapon if I pull it out in public. Non-locking and less than 3.5" in length gets it in venues that will stall bigger blades at the gate.

I've also got a Northfield Cuttlery small trapper that I really like. It's heavier and all around bigger than the stockman. More blade, but I find the long Spey and clip Point blades less useful than a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade. It was carried exclusively for quite a while, but it's more of a pocket full. I'd really like this knife with a long clip and wharncliffe blade.

As far as locking blades go, I don't think you can get better than benchmade's axis lock. A small griptillian checks a lot of boxes. Good steel, great lock, pocket clip, decent scales, light weight, etc.

I really detest frame locks and liner locks, though I have a few. The frame lock keeps me off the ZT band wagon.

Back to the more traditional fare, a Victorinox hiker is a lot of utility in a small package. I have several of those stashed in vehicles, large blade scabbard accessory pouches, desk drawers, etc. A Victorinox tinker was my first EDC, before I knew what EDC was. I now prefer the addition of the sawblade in the hiker.

And, I've got a box full of assorted others. And, there's several others sitting on my dresser too. Some get carried more than others. Some get carried based on utility. Others get carried because, reasons.

So, what are you looking for. Best knife is like asking "how long is a piece of string."

What are your EDC requirements? I've got a Case serpentine stockman with micarta scales that I'm quite fond of. Small and light weight so it disappears in a pocket. Let's face it, EDC means carried (not necessarily used) a lot. Three blades, and one is an über-useful sheepsfoot. It's "old timey" so no one thinks of it as a weapon if I pull it out in public. Non-locking and less than 3.5" in length gets it in venues that will stall bigger blades at the gate.

I've also got a Northfield Cuttlery small trapper that I really like. It's heavier and all around bigger than the stockman. More blade, but I find the long Spey and clip Point blades less useful than a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade. It was carried exclusively for quite a while, but it's more of a pocket full. I'd really like this knife with a long clip and wharncliffe blade.

As far as locking blades go, I don't think you can get better than benchmade's axis lock. A small griptillian checks a lot of boxes. Good steel, great lock, pocket clip, decent scales, light weight, etc.

I really detest frame locks and liner locks, though I have a few. The frame lock keeps me off the ZT band wagon.

Back to the more traditional fare, a Victorinox hiker is a lot of utility in a small package. I have several of those stashed in vehicles, large blade scabbard accessory pouches, desk drawers, etc. A Victorinox tinker was my first EDC, before I knew what EDC was. I now prefer the addition of the sawblade in the hiker.

And, I've got a box full of assorted others. And, there's several others sitting on my dresser too. Some get carried more than others. Some get carried based on utility. Others get carried because, reasons.

So, what are you looking for. Best knife is like asking "how long is a piece of string."
Looking for something to use for normal everyday small cutting jobs. Something that can get you out of a bad situation. Needs to sharpen well and hold an edge. Single blade around 3.5” with pocket clip.

My EDC for a decade of so has been the Benchmade Presidio Auto 5000 which has been unfortunately discontinued. The replacement Presidio Auto 5700 and its non-auto opening version 570 are now also in the process of being discontinued. However, you can still pick up the Presidio 570 for the price range you are talking about, $119.99 delivered to your door as a close out. BladeHQ sill has some I think Knifeart does too but I found my 5700 for a great price at my local Benchmade dealer.

These knives have an SV30 steel blade, aluminum grips, and a deep pocked reversible clip with the Benchmade AXIS lock. I have both the 5700 auto and the 570. These knives will take a beating and them some. Defiantly worth taking a look while they still available are for sale

If you want a lighter version Benchmade Presidio series now makes them with plastic grips (model 570-1). Can’t say I have had any experience with that version as I prefer the aluminum grips but it seems to be the way Brenchmade is going. They also make mini versions of this knife that are a bit smaller.

HTH

[EF1]

Reactions: Kwfranklin88
Speaking from experience, I would say it depends on your ability to not lose your EDC. I seem to have the uncanny ability of losing them all over the place in some way, shape, or form. If you are one of those people that has the same knife for 20 years, my vote would be to go with some type of Benchmade. Bugout or Griptilian come to mind. If you lose stuff all the time, Kershaw seems to make a few good ones in the 30-50 dollar range. I was fully planning on going the Kershaw route until I found some Cabelas bucks that I forgot about and picked up hopefully my last Benchmade EDC. I opted for a litte different route this time and went with something more substantial, so I can tell it is in my pocket, but not too bulky. Went with the Vector and so far so good...

If you are prone to lose it, get a knife with a bail and attach a lanyard, and clip that to your belt loop. Done right, neither you nor anyone else will notice it. Look for a "boy's knife."

Another alternative is equally "old times." Put you knife in your pocket and stuff a hankerchiff down on top of it. The hankerchiff is probably more useful as an EDC item anyway...

Not gonna recommend anything specific, but I will suggest you buy the knife in person and see how it feels in you pocket.
I’ve bought a number of knives now, including expensive ones, that after I got them I only wound up carrying them for a week or two because they were too heavy, or bulky, or even had sharp edges that tore my pants...
In the end, I keep coming back to a very old gerber that is light and fits in my pocket without me noticing it’s there..

Figure out what features you like and then find something that fits your hand.

Spyderco is where I would look first but there are a lot of Spyderco knives I wouldn't consider because of the handle material and lock.

When you find something, make sure the quality is good. I found a Kershaw Emerson trainer that I really liked. The grip fit, I liked the blade shape, it had the wave and it flicked open nicely. I bought a bunch with real blades and they are garbage, the blades aren't centered, they drag on the liners so they don't flick worth a damn and the screws holding the scales on back out if you look at them funny.

Benchmade 581 is what I have carried for probably 8 or 10 years. Been a hell of a knife. I have beat the hell out of it and it's taken everything I have thrown at it.

I'll have to say, the way it sits in your pocket is the biggest factor for me. I think that is the reason I have held onto this one so long.

I had a zero tolerance for a while probably 5 years ago and I actually like that knife much more, but I lost it working in east st louis on a storm in the middle of the night. ? no telling how many murders that knife has committed since I lost it. Lol

IMG_3189.JPG

You can't have just one EDC...

Speaking from experience, I would say it depends on your ability to not lose your EDC. ...
I seem to lose one every 10 years, or so.
There was this pretty compact locking version of the Swiss knife, and the Spyderco Delica. And I broke the blade on a pretty basic Swiss knife.

It is nice to have a nice knife but I hate it when I lose one.

Spyderco Endura would be good for under $100, buy from a known dealer though lots of copies out there.

I have 3 of the Military models that get swapped out, love them.

I been carrying a Spyderco Delica for a-lot of years and like it a-lot.

Kershaw Leek, and a Swiss Army Camper, or hiker, I can never remember. I was going for size and weight so I could carry both. The swiss army gets as much use as my shoes. Best money I've spent in ages. The leek is sharp, and I can deploy it at a high rate of speed. Switched it to tip up, which helped that drastically. Fits great in my pocket, and stays secure. Wouldnt use it as a pry bar

I had a Zero Tolerance 0350ST or something like that a few years ago. I loved it. Unfortunately somebody else loved it too as they went into my desk and stole it (I was working at the Pentagon at the time...so much for trust).

I now carry a handful of the Chinese made Kershaws around the ranch. Super cheap, and since I abuse those knives it's nothing to replace a $20 blade when I break one. I also carry an assortment of Case knives too. They are better, but most are friction lock and I dare not trust my fingers to that for work.

Why so many knives? Well, when you're absent-minded like I get, I just keep one in every pair of pants...it's one less "oh shit" when I need to cut something.

I like Emerson anything with a wave. I often need to open with one hand knocking around the farm and the wave is nice. Been carrying an Emerson Sheepdog the last few years. Carried an Emerson Horseman about 8 years before that until it got caught on the edge of a duster and lost on a trail.

I like my Kershaw folders very much. They are perfect for my needs. Stick on in my back pocket and I don't even notice. Easy to flip open one handed.

I ran a couple Kershaw Leeks for close to 10 years and they were great. Slim, low profile, and held up great when not used as a screwdriver/pry bar.

I’m a big zero tolerance snob. However spydercos and benchmade also work and have found their way into my pocket. Against popular opinion I found the weird steels in Kershaws and other budget friendly knives to not meet my needs. Don’t want to trust my knife hiking in the woods if it dulls from just opening my amazon packages.

I’m a big zero tolerance snob. However spydercos and benchmade also work and have found their way into my pocket. Against popular opinion I found the weird steels in Kershaws and other budget friendly knives to not meet my needs. Don’t want to trust my knife hiking in the woods if it dulls from just opening my amazon packages.

Whatever makes you happy. If you are happy, we are happy.

I think the most important thing (besides quality) is type of opening and closing mechanisms.

I got a Kershaw RJII 5 years ago and it absolutely turned me on to flipper knives. It has gummy steel that dulls after opening like a single box, but I LOVE the one-hand assisted opening flipper mechanism. I now have a Benchmade North fork with the AXIS mechanism. It is a much better knife, but I find myself wanting to carry the Kershaw because I much prefer the opening and closing mechanisms of the flipper and liner lock for one hand stationary manipulation as opposed to having to wrist-flick the AXIS mechanism open and closed.

Had a $30 Gerber that went over seas with me for a total of 30 months that I thought I lost when putting up a deer stand 2 years ago. I was devastated for a few days until wife found in in the laundry bin. It didn't hold an edge real well but was good to field dress a deer if it was sharp to begin with. It now lives in the safe and a Benchmade Mel Pardue 154CM lives in my pocket now. Three times the money but I use it every day at least once. It is super light, the right size, and the edge is way better than the Gerber. Plus the price point is where I don't care if it breaks when I'm using it, and if I lose it it's my own damn fault.

If you want assisted, then Kershaw or ZT are hard to beat for price. I'm a fan of the Kershaw Knockout or Blurs simply because they are a very thin profile and are not bulky in my pocket. I carry Emerson's and I'm a fan of the wave feature until I manage o cut myself which happens at least once a year but it is a cool feature, not to mention I've had one for over 25 years. Flipper models are also very functional as well as the hole in the blade on Spydercos

One pet peeve I have is the thumb stud on most manuals. They are too small and more of an irritant than an assistance. Emerson got it right Kershaw missed the boat, but make up for it with the assisted and flipper functions. If you want a true pocket knife, not necessarily a clip on, though these do that as well, the chive and scallions are nice and not too expensive. Get on Knifecenter or any of the specialty stores and you can usually score deals.

Now here’s a fucking EDC blade for the big-ol-mandingo-dick-swinging-motherfuckers!... unfortunately I don’t fall into this category though?‍♂️?
29D6BF1D-7A8C-4BAA-8D1B-7CBD3309610E.png
BA8DA000-E9E0-4A67-AB84-76F711819C95.png

Reactions: AMGtuned
Benchmade 940-1 is in my pocket about 50% of the time. Nice, gentlemen folder for someone who appreciates technology. S90V steel is ridiculously hard (holds an edge forever, but is impossible to get/keep razor sharp... its just never dull either). The carbon fiber body, deep carry titanium clip, and modest size make it disappear in your pocket (a good thing). It's beautiful in a simplistic/minimalist, yet high tech way. The Axis lock is fantastic.

A Spyderco Manix CTS BD1 is in my pocket 35% of the time when I need something a little bigger/beefier than the 940-1. It's half the price of the Benchmade, easier to sharpen (though it dulls much faster), has a great blade shape, and I believe actually has a nicer lock up than the Benchmade, though the lock is tougher/stiffer to operate. It's not so cheap you're willing to use it as a prying tool, but if you lose it/destroy it, it's ~$100 gone.

A ZT Hinderer folder is my other carry, about 10% of the time (5% is a mix of other knives that are purpose focused). Its big, heavy, has great steel (ELMAX), and looks beautiful with the Titanium and G-10 scales. It's certainly the knife I'd carry if I was worried about a zombie apocalypse outbreak happening after a board meeting... Or if I'm going camping after visiting a snooty customer. It's just too big to discreetly hide in a pair of slacks, or khaki's. And did I mention its heavy??? Compared to the Spyderco/Benchmade, it feels like a dumbbell in your pocket. Thick, long, fat, and heavy (reminds me of a few ex's).

EDC is different to everyone. Back when I was logging, my EDC knife was a fixed blade in a leather sheath on my belt. Now, it's what I can carry mostly discreetly in a corporate office. Different strokes for different folks!

If *that* is your EDC blade, you are definitely compensating, or ... you live in a very interesting neighborhood. :)

Not my EDC, not even mine. Just a blade that I could see someone like Mandingo saying that they carry every day.... just fucking around.?

I recently picked up a Kershaw Decibel. I love this knife. I dont even notice it in my pocket. Im worried im going to forget i have it and throw it in the washing machine. Very Sleek design and light weight.

I've carried a ZT 0350 for 6 years. I really like it as an everyday knife. And by knife I mean box opener, box staple puller, prybar, tent stake hammer, splinter remover, fingernail cleaner, and salami slicer. Preferably all of those things in the same motion.

The S35VN steel is sweet. It doesn't get all that sharp, and it dulls out a little almost immediately, but it keeps a 'pretty sharp' edge for ever. I never sharpened the knife for 5 years and it wasn't dull. Never chipped or broke it, the mechanism doesn't have anything to wear out. I like it.

Have used a lot- Benchmade, Emerson, Spyderco, Kershaw, Zero Tolerance, Microtech, Protech- out-the-front and side opening autos, assisted, wave, and everything else.

Best EDC is probably something like a Swiss Army Knife Cadet with aluminum scales. More useful for stuff you will actually do and you can go anywhere with it.

Reactions: perttime
View attachment 7258286
You can't have just one EDC...

Yeah... I'm with this guy ^^^^

I'm an admitted Spyderco fan. I call them the "Baskin Robbins" of knives... so many flavors. Or Lays chips... can't have just one. ?

For just normal occasional cutting (and other tools), I love my American Flag Swiss Army SuperTinker.

Caly-Damascus-and-SAK-4857.jpg

american flag swiss army tinker.jpg

For a real cutter, I can carry any of my Spydercos in addition to the Swiss Army knife:

Spydie-Collection_03-12-12_.jpg

Spydie-Collection_2.jpg

paramilitary 2s-5174.jpg

EDC knives.jpg

paramilitary 2s-5174.jpg

Spyderco Manix 2 family-5184.jpg

Spydies-newarrivals-16.jpg

Some of those fall in your budget range, though many are between $100 - 200. Some more than that.

If you can find a place that carries a variety of knives, locally, fondle some, and see what you like!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I've carried a ZT 0350 for 6 years. I really like it as an everyday knife. And by knife I mean box opener, box staple puller, prybar, tent stake hammer, splinter remover, fingernail cleaner, and salami slicer. Preferably all of those things in the same motion.

The S35VN steel is sweet. It doesn't get all that sharp, and it dulls out a little almost immediately, but it keeps a 'pretty sharp' edge for ever. I never sharpened the knife for 5 years and it wasn't dull. Never chipped or broke it, the mechanism doesn't have anything to wear out. I like it.
If you can't get S35VN sharp, your edge geometry or heat treat isn't right.

I have a S35VN knife that can shave hair off of A hair (not a typo or exaggeration). It holds an edge pretty well too but it's not a chopper at all.

Spyderco ladybug is my favorite for everyday use.

If you can't get S35VN sharp, your edge geometry or heat treat isn't right.

I have a S35VN knife that can shave hair off of A hair (not a typo or exaggeration). It holds an edge pretty well too but it's not a chopper at all.

That could be. I've only had it factory ground.