• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best el-cheapo build starter

rooster2/16

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
Le Boot
Ok before the flaming begins I have 4 kids an mortgage ect.... I want to get a 22LR rifle for $200 or under brand new and slowly build it to be a beast. So what would be my best option for this? I'd like to get a new one and mag fed. Optics are not a concern right now just the base gun to start with. Thanks

That may be a tough combo. I bought a Savage Mk II TRR and it was very accurate out of the box. That model is priced higher than you are looking but the MK II FV looks to be in the ballpark. As far as using it as a base to build a beast, I'm not sure. You may be able to bed it, maybe change the stock but I have a feeling you will shoot it, use it as a learning tool and upgrade to a higher end rifle down the road. That's when it really gets interesting. Lots of good info here, good luck.

It's going to be a starter for my daughter (she is really getting into hunting/shooting). I have my bolt and semi guns I just need something for her and build it as she gets better. Walmart has a savage Mark ll F for about $170 but wasn't sure it this is a good option.

Last edited:
I have been wanting to pick up a mark 2 myself, one since there are some lefties including myself. Boyds makes good stocks for it. I am planning on a Tacticool for it. I am sure a gun smith can fit a match barrel on it. As for the trigger, above the accutrigger I don't know there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The Mark II FV looks like the best option if the barrel can't be swapped. Anybody swapped barrels on a Savage?

The Mark II FV looks like the best option if the barrel can't be swapped. Anybody swapped barrels on a Savage?

The barrels on the savage are pressed and pinned. A rebarrel using a match grade barrel like a lilja, shilen, bartlien ect would run around $500-$700 with labor. The action on them isn't worth investing in a barrel like that and the way the inlet is on the stock again not worth it! I'd save up a little longer and go with something that is more build-able.

I would just get a 10/22 Ruger. They can shoot with a little work and good stones will take you far. Lots of after market stuff. Get an unfinished stock and give your kids a project. Mine will hold 1MOA at 100 yrds. Only took me 15 years to build it. LOL. Do yourself a favor and get a 20" kidd barrel as soon as you can afford it.

Yeah I've got a full Kidd built 10/22 and there is no way I can give it to my daughter. I really want to get her a bolt gun to teach fundamentals. Gonna order the Mark II FV. The CZ ect.... are just too much right now.

The only thing you really need to do for a Savage FV is put a scope on it and shoot it. If I was buying for my daughter, I'd get involved wiht a 4H group and buy a FVT (comes with decent irons) for $250ish direct from Savage.

Only thing I did with mine was buy a BTV (the F stock is known to be less than desireable) and put a Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50 w/ AO scope on it.

Most good quality 22s are gonna shoot better than you. I've won lots of rim fire matches against race style 10/22s with a 1949 Mossberg bolt action. Most semi autos have a slower lock time than a bolt gun, so unless you're bench rest shooting (and willing to pay top $$ for match 22), buying a Savage bolt action will not handicap you in the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info guys!!!!! Still up in the air on which one. Coin toss might be the way to go.

I was in your shoes for several months just 2 weeks ago then I took the plunge on the savage markII f. Dirt cheap and shoots very well not to mention a TON of aftermarket support for savage. I wouldn't trade mine for anything in terms of a build up rifle. If I had more cash right away I would have bought the heavy barrel or wood stock but a few quick google searches and guys are saying the heavy barrel doesn't help a TON because these things don't warm up a lot plus the plastic stock free floats fine the only reason I'd want a wood one is the geometry is better for me but others love them. The gun doesn't way enough to bend the factory plastic stock. I'm going to bed this stock and when I can out shoot the guns ability with this barrel and stock I'll buy another savage but this time with a wood stock and heavy barrel.... I'm sure that'll be years away.