• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best Factory .223 Ammo for R15

Rynham9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2012
Enid, OK
Recently got an R15 and have been underwhelmed with groups @ 100 yards. The scope is nothing special. It is Mildot Swift. I get better groups out of my Muzzel loader than my R15 with the same scope. I have not worked up a load yet but would like to purchase some bulk factory if I can find something good. Thanks.

Re: Best Factory .223 Ammo for R15

anything match, Black Hills is always one of the first that come to mind, Hornady, and Remington also seem to give lots of people out of the box success if a little more accurate bullet is what you are looking for.

What kind of bullets are you currently shooting? What kind of shooting position are you in? Are you using bags? lots of things here could be factors

Rynham9, Tell us more about your AR and what you have been feeding her. We will be able to help a little more. Do you Reload ? Enjoy the Hide, there are alot of great People on here.

Depending on the twist I've had good luck with FGMM, hornandy match, southwest ammunition out of my AR.

Worked up a load for a customers R-15 with 24" barrel.

Rifle had issues to be honest.

Gas block had to be modified as port was too large and rifle was significantly overgassed.

Heavied up buffer also.

Had a load with 55 V-max that was printing 1" groups @ 200 yards.

If your rifle is configured same way, I expect you'll have some difficulty in getting rifle to shoot accurately.

Rifle can be made to shoot but will most probably need a few tweaks to get there.

Thanks to all. She is a R15 .223 Remington 22" barrel with 9" twist. All I have done is mounted a 4.5-14x44 Mildot Swift Scope on her and bought a few boxes of Winchester CXP1 55 grains for yotes and CXP 64 grains for my son to shoot does with. When sigting in scope I had her on a bench in a shooting rest just to eliminate my bad habits when seeing what she could do. She would not group at all. A friend of mine does reload and I am going to start. Thanks again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rynham9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recently got an R15 and have been underwhelmed with groups @ 100 yards. The scope is nothing special. It is Mildot Swift. I get better groups out of my Muzzel loader than my R15 with the same scope. I have not worked up a load yet but would like to purchase some bulk factory if I can find something good. Thanks. </div></div>I like the Black Hills myself.
whistle.gif