• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best FOV for SP-10

Old Man with Gun

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Feb 4, 2019
    I have a Seekins SP-10 6.5C 22" that I am running with a Vortex Viper Gen2 3-15x. Most of my shooting is within 500yds, but I do get a chance to go to 1000yds on occasion.

Great rifle and scope is doing well, but I want more high end magnification without giving up low end FOV, clarity or adding a lot of weight.

Been checking out the Leupold 3.6-18x and Nightforce 2.5-22x and wondering how they compare. Any what others I should take a hard look at?

Ideal would be clarity in line with Razor Gen2 or better, under 30oz, high end mag of 18-24x with a good FOV and low mag range of no more than 4x. I want illuminated MRAD and a tree for hold over and wind. I'm not very picky on reticle, but not overly busy, this is a DMR for the most part.

I don't have a budget, but expect 1500-2500 should probably cover it. I like quality and will pay for more functionality, but I am not impressed by brand names or marginally better performance at lordly prices.
    If you want to recommend $4k scopes, please explain what shot I couldn't make with the $2k scope that it can do with that one. Not saying I can't appreciate the quality, but diminishing returns and all that.
    Thanks in advance, I appreciate those of you with the expertise to guide and willingness to help.

Reactions: JAC0X
    I ended up throwing my ATACR 4-16x42 on my SP-10 and it fits the rifle well. I have a Mil-R, but they have tree reticle as well.

Not the current hot reticle but midway is closing out the H-59 for $1,900 or so.

I ended up throwing my ATACR 4-16x42 on my SP-10 and it fits the rifle well. I have a Mil-R, but they have tree reticle as well.

Not the current hot reticle but midway is closing out the H-59 for $1,900 or so.
    I know the scope and it is great glass, hoping for a bit more on the upper end though. At least 18x.

I have a Seekins SP-10 6.5C 22" that I am running with a Vortex Viper Gen2 3-15x. Most of my shooting is within 500yds, but I do get a chance to go to 1000yds on occasion.

Great rifle and scope is doing well, but I want more high end magnification without giving up low end FOV, clarity or adding a lot of weight.

Been checking out the Leupold 3.6-18x and Nightforce 2.5-22x and wondering how they compare. Any what others I should take a hard look at?

Ideal would be clarity in line with Razor Gen2 or better, under 30oz, high end mag of 18-24x with a good FOV and low mag range of no more than 4x. I want illuminated MRAD and a tree for hold over and wind. I'm not very picky on reticle, but not overly busy, this is a DMR for the most part.

I don't have a budget, but expect 1500-2500 should probably cover it. I like quality and will pay for more functionality, but I am not impressed by brand names or marginally better performance at lordly prices.
    If you want to recommend $4k scopes, please explain what shot I couldn't make with the $2k scope that it can do with that one. Not saying I can't appreciate the quality, but diminishing returns and all that.
    Thanks in advance, I appreciate those of you with the expertise to guide and willingness to help.
    You’re not makin it easy! Lol Better clarity than a Gen2 but 30oz. Not sure that exists.
    I would have said a used Kahles or Schmidt but they are both 35oz plus. Even a very good used deal on a TT or ZCO if you can be ok with the weight.
    Personally I end up with NX8 4-32’s on my long barrel gassers. Very happy other than low light.

I want to say Burris xtr3, but might hold off while they get their crap together. It looks like their customer service and quality control aren't synced properly right now.

NX8 is a solid scope. I know a couple of guys winning rimfire left and right with their NX8 4-32s on the regular with an occasional regional Centerfire win as well.

You’re not makin it easy! Lol Better clarity than a Gen2 but 30oz. Not sure that exists.
    I would have said a used Kahles or Schmidt but they are both 35oz plus. Even a very good used deal on a TT or ZCO if you can be ok with the weight.
    Personally I end up with NX8 4-32’s on my long barrel gassers. Very happy other than low light.
    Thanks, yea I should rank those priorities and make it clear these are not all have to haves, just for context. I'm looking at the NX8 2.5-22x and think it might be a good fit. Just in terms of clarity, how does it stack up to the PST gen2 and Razor Gen2?

Most important to me in order is clarity, not losing FOV on low end, getting more magnification on high end and not adding weight last. Sorry if I asked for a unicorn.

Thanks, yea I should rank those priorities and make it clear these are not all have to haves, just for context. I'm looking at the NX8 2.5-22x and think it might be a good fit. Just in terms of clarity, how does it stack up to the PST gen2 and Razor Gen2?

I don't have a gen2 Razor but comparing my nx8 to my 3-15 Viper pst gen2 and gen3 Rzr. The NX8 is in the middle glass wise. Has more distortion around the edges, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Glass is better on the NX8 to my eyes. I like the reticle thickness on the Viper more as the nx8 is pretty thin and really needs illumination on low (sub 4x or so) power in the field when it's not really bring out. The 6-36 Gen3 is another step up in glass and probably not worth mentioning.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
    Most important to me in order is clarity, not losing FOV on low end, getting more magnification on high end and not adding weight last. Sorry if I asked for a unicorn.
    You are indeed asking for a unicorn.
    The FOV in the PST G2 is one of the best on the market, if you are wanting to keep an FOV on the low end of around 40ft@100yards and more magnification on the high end you may be SOL.

The Burris XTR3i and NX8 2.5-20 are probably your best options, the Athlon ETR 3-18x50 is also in the same ballpark.
    The new Delta Stryker would be worth considering as well, I believe the FOV is improved over the 4.5-30 (which isn't great).
    All these options have capped windage which is a big plus IMO.

The Mark 5hd as a considerbly worse FOV than the PST G2.
    If you have money to burn and FOV is the utmost importance then a Scmidt 3-20 or March 4.5-28 is going to be your best bet.

It sounds like I have a good option now with the PST gen2 and if I want more mag the NX8 2.5-20x is the way to go, thanks all.

Reactions: jbuck88
    XTRIIIi 3-18 is one of the best FOV and great glass. Don’t let the recent chain of negative posts scare you off. That’s a tiny percentage of what is in the field doing just fine.

In MY experiences, 2 times to be extact, the 2.5-20 NX8’s I’ve seen where not at clear or as easy to get behind as the 4-32’s. Having said that, I’ve been hearing the 2.5-20’s have gotten better so best advice is to look for yourself. IMO the image quality is much better than PST and on par with RazorG2. Light weight, great mag range, decently clear for a 2k’ish scope. Only place I see it fall is in low light compared to my S&B’s.
    Don’t have any experience with the Burris. I can tell you, IMO the only scope that has better glass, in the 2k (new) range, is the Zeiss S3. Downfall there is its big and heavy.
    Used 4-32’s can be had for $1750. Good deal IMO. Believe there one for sale in the exchange for $1850 right now.
    I’m a believer
    IMG_6547.jpeg

Last edited:
    I get having a wide field of view on the low end is awesome, but if I’m shooting 500 yards + it just doesn’t matter to me because I’m usually in the upper power range. Your mileage may vary & there’s nothing wrong with that, I have a MK5 3.6-18 on a 6.5 gasser and it works for me.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
    Great feedback all. The Nx8 2.5-20x is perfect for me. I'm not worried about low light, I switch to thermal then and 22x is plenty for the occasions past 500 to 1000. Great size weight and FOV. Found a great deal on a used unit with the reticle I want, so that is my decision.

Thanks again everyone, been in analytics paralysis for weeks!