• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best fun Ever, getting 'Busted' on the set-up

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    * The 2 dog shot was last night . was in a pretty wooded background & urban setting behind local Airport. house was on a about 5-acre. I was asked to take a look & shoot because the property owner had seen coyotes several times. Said they were eye-balling there smaller pets & they got 3 small children also. I told the guy I would be there between 7-8 PM and turn the lights out for me & I will see what I could do.
    when dark came I pulled in the property and quietly walked-out to the backside of the property and picked out a good spot to sit/hide with some moon-shade darkness from a small tree area. Then very quietly walked out about 50-60 yard to set-up the call. When I set-up the call on the ground and re-focused the pvs14 on my head for longer distance, I took a scanning view with the hand held IR surefire out on the surrounding outline. "Shit", there were glowing Eyes about 150 yard looking & watching my direction, ' I was BUSTED '. He was already close buy and heard my well planed footsteps on the wet ground on my way out to set-up the remote call.
    Not the 1st time I screwed the pooch & got busted on the walkout and set-up & wont be the last. I went back to my hide spot to let the area Cool-down for 20-30 Min. As I was sitting waiting for time to go by before hitting the call & I might still get lucky, It's worth a try. Then 'What Do I Hear' , A Firetruck & Ambulance coming down the nearby road, coming my direction with Screaming Siren.
    What Luck & now I will hear if the Yote lights-up from the siren and is still close. I quickly switch the call over to (coy female invite) and wait. Sure as shit the coyote is about couple hundred yards out and just cry's his lungs out. and I hit the female invite yip-howl for 2-3 seconds. BUT Then off the my right side in the woods I hear about 6-8 Yotes Light-Up and loud & close. Shit, I was in the whole fucking Pack & the property owner had a whole Den back there.
    Now I am 'Smiling Big time' under my face cover Cause I know, I am not leaving tonight without pulling down on some fir. I hit the invite a couple more times over the next 15-20 minutes and then one trots out and i IR highlight and drop the EO on his ass and POP. It was clean hit and he just fell and folded on the spot. I did not even flinch I sat the AR back in my lap and went to calling again. I worked it for another 10-15 minutes and then I caught site of glowing Eyes again on the brush perimeter with the hand-held IR. So I hit it with the weapon IR again and put the EO on it and POP, got two laying there. I will Definitely go back there again as soon as the bad ju-ju of dead yote is not as fresh and set-up again in a few weeks with different sound.
    * The single dog pic. was night before last. A local farmer (who new me) walked up to me knowing that I shoot a lot of varmint. Told me that they got coyote chewing the hell out of there 1" black plastic irrigation drip-lines on the blueberry fields. He drove me out there personally and gave me the layout too on about 80+ acre plot. So it was an invitation I could not pass up.
    He told me he had coyotes chewing (destroying) the drip-lines a lot in mid-summer for water but he could not understand Why ? they are doing it now in winter when the farm was not even irrigating. Only thing I could thing of was that it is a 'Learned Trait' from the bitch to the pups. Plus there dogs and they like to chew up stuff anyway.
    I parked the truck about 15 minute walk from were they are chewing the lines. I set-up the call and use (Bobcat in Heat) call on the foxpro. Worked it about 45-minutes. 5 to 10 minutes between call. He came in running and then stopped & presented himself facing front quarter and was about 100 yrd, shot on a crisp and dry night with no ground fog. I hit him hard with the 50 v-max in the chest but he bolted and then plowed the dirt & folded about 30 yard from the hit. I will go out there again for more coyote in a latter time.
    This weekend (the best part) I was ASKED to Shoot Coyote by people. which is a far cry from my normal scout and prowl around here. Out the past couple nights as the conditions in my area were to good to pass up. Moon was just right, no rain. dawgs are out screwing all night and eating. nighttime is my favorite time to do what I want. Winter sucks but the night comes Early and 'Night time is the Right time'.
    16" barrel 9-twist, 50 v-max, Suppressed with PEQ & Eotech & pvs14 on the head. Using old remote foxpro and extra outboard speaker. Same old set-up for many years but still gets it done,
    004.jpg

001.jpg

Re: Best fun Ever, getting 'Busted' on the set-up

sweet setup you got there. I bet that suppressor is nice for urban areas

it's almost a must with NV anyway but I done some with only a Vortex on the muzzle. with NO Can on the Rig it is WAY more nimble.
    With the Can, it really is nice hearing the hits on impact & not ringing your brain when you pull the trigger.
    It's pretty quiet @ night with a lot of the daytime ambient noise pollution gone. So keeping it more quiet on the muzzle report is way better. More houses stuffed in all corners of land & way more hunting Unfriendlies out there . plus I 'Usually', don't do more than 1-shot 'IF' it even presents itself to me. Then I get going and move-on and try my best to fly under the radar. So the Can @ night is king.

nice shooting, are you shooting with the peq laser, or looking through the eotech?

Both. got the pointer co-witness on the EO so anything under 50 yard I can just drop the dot on. If it is more I will try to use the EO and get a little more precise on the placement. most cases the coyote are called in @ 100 yrd. , as I place the remote out past 50 yrd @ least of my sit.
    Distance of shots do vary. I been working the remote location set-ups. So if they move & circle-in to the outside of the Remote it's could get 100 yard or if they circle on the inside on the side I am sitting it could get close . @ night you can get them in tighter. Even close enough to make you little uncomfortable if you are hid dark enough from ambient & if you run the call from where your sit as they will run-in on the location they vector from call location. They do vector sound locations real good. It amazes me how tight they get on the remote locations.

Awesome job!
    Very nice set up.

Don't be afraid of the night but what hunts at night.
    smile.gif

Where is the truck the PEQ fell off of so I can pick one up too? I was told it is not for civ sale "darnit".