• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Funnel Kit

Painless300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2013
Rome, GA
Just got a new FX 120 scale and waiting on the V4 auto trickle to come out. I want to start using the new scaIe and will use my Charge master to throw the main charge and a Dandy to powder up to final charge. I have always used an RCBS Pan/funnel to load my cases but with the new scale I need to purchase a new funnel kit.
The Area 419 looks nice but I am looking for your opinions for those of you that are using funnel kits.
Thanks

Reactions: Ramsay Country
Things move so fast today you never know when a new product comes out. Didn't want to drop $100 on a funnel kit if there is something out their better for less.
Thanks for the info.

The Satern funnels have always worked well for me.

If you need a drop tube, I've only tried the one from 21st Century. It sucks. Clogs really easily using Reloder 16.

The Satern funnels have always worked well for me.

If you need a drop tube, I've only tried the one from 21st Century. It sucks. Clogs really easily using Reloder 16.
It actually may not be the drop tube. I have always noticed how different each kernel of 16 can be. Some are small, like a kernel of Varget, and others are noticeably longer, like they could be used as lead in a mechanical pencil. I bought my stock of Reloder 16 when it first came out, so I thought maybe it was just new production, but I've also had it clog my funnel. A tap or two usually does the trick

There is so much dumb shit to buy for this game a fancy funnel is the absolute last thing anyone should buy.

This is all you need, give the rest of your money to your kids.
20210614_170538.jpg

It actually may not be the drop tube. I have always noticed how different each kernel of 16 can be. Some are small, like a kernel of Varget, and others are noticeably longer, like they could be used as lead in a mechanical pencil. I bought my stock of Reloder 16 when it first came out, so I thought maybe it was just new production, but I've also had it clog my funnel. A tap or two usually does the trick
I have to pour mine really slow to get it to flow. Its probably the powder like you said. The reason for using a drop tube is to get the bulky powder to settle consistently in the case, but then it easily clogs the drop tube. I might try the area 419 drop tube and see if it makes a difference.

There is so much dumb shit to buy for this game a fancy funnel is the absolute last thing anyone should buy.

View attachment 7647223
I sorta of agree and default to my cheap clear purple mtm funnel except my dasher cases are too short and steep shouldered that they can’t fit all the way up into the funnel and you pour powder all over the shoulders.

I got the mkm kit and it doesn’t work quite as well overall without a tap but it does fit on a dasher and does not spill so that’s nice.

I have the MK Machining kit and its been awesome.

Havent had to tap it as @spife7980 noted, but I routinely run <20% humidity. That may be part of it?

It was a gift from some homies who do squirrel stuff around here.
I recommend them as friends too. Top notch folks, but not available for purchase. 😆

View attachment 7647223

I'm your huckleberry on this one...
Dropping extruded powder (25.5 gr of small cylinder Benchmark) in a 20 Practical case, I was experiencing bridging and spillage with the Lee funnel. I too thought a $100 Area 419 funnel kit ( plus $12 for the 20 cal insert) was ridiculous... Until I used it.

Considering the amount of machining, the multiple color anodizing, the workmanship and the performance, it is worth what they charge.

It seems you can dump powder in the 419 as fast as you want. I used to pour it in and try to get the powder to swirl like a toilet bowl in the Lee, tried a Berry's funnel too, neither perform even close to the 419.
Is it for everybody? No. But if you want the best, I'd say you'll have a hard time finding better.

I have a couple of the Xtreme Hardcore Funnels and they are really nice but if you have several calibers to fit the Area 419 kit would be the way to go. They make great stuff too.

If they would just come out with a single stage press..... They could call it the One. The zero is just a little too much for me but man it looks nice.

Been nothing but impressed with the quality and price-performance of the Lyman Funnel Kit. The fit and finish is excellent, powder slides perfectly through it, and the price is terrific.

I'm your huckleberry on this one...
Dropping extruded powder (25.5 gr of small cylinder Benchmark) in a 20 Practical case, I was experiencing bridging and spillage with the Lee funnel. I too thought a $100 Area 419 funnel kit ( plus $12 for the 20 cal insert) was ridiculous... Until I used it.

Considering the amount of machining, the multiple color anodizing, the workmanship and the performance, it is worth what they charge.

It seems you can dump powder in the 419 as fast as you want. I used to pour it in and try to get the powder to swirl like a toilet bowl in the Lee, tried a Berry's funnel too, neither perform even close to the 419.
Is it for everybody? No. But if you want the best, I'd say you'll have a hard time finding better.
This is a story that we have heard tons of times - "I thought $100 for a funnel was stupid until I ended up with one, then kicked myself I hadn't bought one years ago"

Thank you for trusting our products, and I love that it's making your time at the bench a little more enjoyable. It's why we do it.

I have a couple of the Xtreme Hardcore Funnels and they are really nice but if you have several calibers to fit the Area 419 kit would be the way to go. They make great stuff too.

If they would just come out with a single stage press..... They could call it the One. The zero is just a little too much for me but man it looks nice.
In reality, we have talked about doing it. The problem is we aren't willing to compromise on the idea that die reset with the loose Class 2 thread standard is a huge consistency issue, and the co-ax style die retention has its own big set of issues. Gonna need to come up with a better way to manage that before we get serious about a traditional single stage, though with all that involved I don't think you should expect there to be a meaningful difference in price.

Reactions: Baron23
In reality, we have talked about doing it. The problem is we aren't willing to compromise on the idea that die reset with the loose Class 2 thread standard is a huge consistency issue, and the co-ax style die retention has its own big set of issues. Gonna need to come up with a better way to manage that before we get serious about a traditional single stage, though with all that involved I don't think you should expect there to be a meaningful difference in price.
It had crossed my mind that the cost of production might not be enough different between the two versions to make it worth the effort. There is a lot of competition in the single stage area as well.

I bought an Area 419....only because they are the only one I know of that makes a Dillon adapter and I am experimenting using my 550 to try to load match grade ammo.

It is a thing of beauty.

Overkill for a regular ole funnel. If I didn't need the dillon adapter, I'd still use whatever funnel I have laying nearby. I have a couple regular ole funnels.

Reactions: DubfromGA
If you need/want a drop tube the 419 is excellent. Can adjust the tube lengths in 3” increments for those time cases that need lots of powder.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I have used the satern funnels they were great, but only for one caliber. When I got to 4 of them I moved up to the area 419. It has been well worth it. I use their 3” drop tube and it has never bridged on me. They even made me a custom 25 cal before they had one it stock. Great folks, great products

Reactions: MarshallDodge
It had crossed my mind that the cost of production might not be enough different between the two versions to make it worth the effort. There is a lot of competition in the single stage area as well.
A common misconception here - we consider the ZERO to be a single stage press. It just happens to have multiple pre-staged dies ready to be used. Instead of having to loosen the die from its fixture to switch, you move the fixture itself. I know there's some nuance, and the press appears to take the physical form of a turret press, but we truly consider the ZERO to be a single stage press, and the most consistent and easy-to-use of its kind.