• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best gas length for 20-22" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
Before you say "search," I did and the info is mediocre. I'm going to set up a custom barrel for my LMT. Its going to be 20-22" long and either +2 or +3 gas and I wanted some feedback before I pull the trigger on a barrel. Looking for all around function, not looking for something super finicky just to be smoother. I feel like everyone is going to say +2 for all around and +3 for guns for games, but I was hoping for the confirmation.

PS: I'm looking to build a super-sized mk 12 themed LMT MWS in 6.5 with an AE30 can, but can also accept other cans.

Reactions: drewthebrave
My 22" Odin has a +2 rifle length and I think that's a good choice, especially if shooting suppressed.

PS: I'm looking to build a super-sized mk 12 themed LMT MWS in 6.5 with an AE30 can, but can also accept other cans.
What is it you want to bring from a MK12 to the MWS? Traditionally it's the PRI handguard with it's monolithic top rail that make the MOD 0 so famous.

What is it you want to bring from a MK12 to the MWS? Traditionally it's the PRI handguard with it's monolithic top rail that make the MOD 0 so famous.
Good question...welllllll...basically not that much. Monolithic MWS upper and that it will have an AE30 which is .30 can similar to the AEM5/Ops Inc can. I was also hoping to have a flush but fully exposed gas block like the mk 12, and similar length of barrel distal from the gas block to the muzzle to give it that appearance. So I would have to trade my 15" MWS for a 15.5" MWS and run +3 gas and like a 21" barrel to do that. Or I'll go 20" +2 have a partial exposed gas block.

PS: Also plan to do a full on PRI kit mk12 separately.

Tower - I just ordered an Odin 22" +2. What loads/ammo does your bbl like? I will work up my own load, but curious to see what ballpark you're in.

My 22" Odin has a +2 rifle length and I think that's a good choice, especially if shooting suppressed.

+1 for 20" and +2 for 22"

+3 is generally used in 6mm CM
Interesting, why not use a +3 for 6.5 creed as well for 22" or longer. Dwell time should be longer for 6.5 than 6mm Creed
and maybe better brass life.

Tower - I just ordered an Odin 22" +2. What loads/ammo does your bbl like? I will work up my own load, but curious to see what ballpark you're in.
22” 6.5C AR-10 suppressed w/ SDN-6
130gr Berger AR Hybrid
Rem 7.5 SR primer
Virgin Starline brass FLR’d
StaBall 6.5 45.6gr
OAL 2.750”

30rd group

Lo: 2829
Hi: 2916
Avg: 2868
ES: 86
SD: 17.7

My 22" proof is a +2.

It's phenomenal, I have an slr sentry gas block on it. It's great suppressed and unsuppressed.