• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best glass for shooting out to 600 yards under $900?

280nosler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2011
North Carolina
I took on a bet with a friend that I could not source an unmodified factory rifle, mount, base and scope for under $2000 that could hold 1 moa at 5-600 yards. I like to bet, and had confidence, so I took him up on it. This is where I currently am: 260 rem Savage 12 LRT, night force 20 moa base and medium rings (30mm). I have $894.50 to spend and need the best scope for the money that will have at least 12x (preferably more) and an objective bell not exceeding 50mm with a 30mm main tube.

Give me some ideas. First that came to my mind was the vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x42, but I know there are a bunch that should be better. Give me some ideas!

I think the big 4 mil/mil's to consider in that price range would be:

SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP
Vortex PST 6-24x50 or 4-16x FFP
Weaver Tac 3-15x50 FFP
Sightron SIII 6-24x50 SFP

The new FFP Sightron SIII's are here:New Products! UPDATED 9/13/13

Last edited:
How about a fixed power 16x SWFA SS scope. Well in ur budget and non of the FFP price. I picked up a 10x last weekend when they had the sale on but still get good reviewes from what ive seen.

+1 on the SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP

G7oYlUp.jpg

I'd think you could do 1MOA @ 600yd with a Bushnell 3200 10x if you have the opportunity to work up a handload or find the factory fodder the rifle prefers prior to the shootoff.

Liberty Optics has a the following for less than your budget. Research this reticle. I personally feel it is one of the most useable reticles. It lends a lost of confidence to shooters who holdover and off for windage.

Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 FFP G2 DMR reticle non-illuminated, 1/10 mil target turrets, 30mm tube

Eventually people are going to get sick of me recommending Bushnell and their Elite line with the G2 Reticle. I honestly don't believe there is a more efficient package for less than $1200.00.

Chip

+1 on the bushnell with G2. I agree, best scope under 1k for quality and features. The SWFA is a great optic as well.

FWIW if group size is all your after you could win that bet for 1/2 your budget.

Call Sport Optics, They have a VERY nice Sniper's Hide discount.

My Vortex Viper PSTR 6-24 was within your price range.

It is not a 30mm tube, but you can find a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 or a 4.5-14x50 on sale for under your price criteria. They have the best glass of any 1" scope I've seen, and I feel they are the best scope out there for under $1000. Use delrin ring reducers if you have already bought rings, otherwise Warne makes some nice Maxima rings for $30 or so.

The only disadvantage is they are a mil reticle with MOA knobs. So I printed up some overlays on label stock and wrapped them around my turrets. Presto! Instant mil turrets. With a 20 MOA rail on the rifle, they have enough elevation to get me out
past 1000 with all my various caliber rifles.

I recommend them!

Unless you get a dud from the factory, it has happened, that rifle will hold 1 moa at 600 yds easily. Hand load for it and put a decent optic on it and it will hold sub 1/2.

I just picked up a premier scope for a little more from euro optics