• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Glassing/Shooting Setup...

Jeff_Johnson

Dirtbag
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2013
Lewiston, ID
www.dirtbagprecision.com
I am going to preface this with me saying that I am a dirtbag and not a professional/the best at any of this stuff. However I have spent an awful lot of time behind glass and shooting off tripods over the last few years, mainly because I just find it easier than shooting sticks and as long as you're not super constricted by weight, if you're already taking big glass and a shitty tripod hunting, I would throw some other shit out of the pack before I ditched a solid tripod and head(s) to have way more capability. But I have gotten a lot of questions about my setup, so I decided instead of having to type this out again or have multiple 30 minute conversations about this subject, I can just send someone a link to this thread. I hope I cover everything and the pictures show enough to answer anyone's questions.

Tripods

There are lots of them out there, I don't know you or what your budget is like, nor am I going to have a brand argument with anyone, I really like the Leofoto carbon tripods for the money, but won't fault anyone for buying something cheaper or more expensive. The Key point here is to buy some thing that is solid. Like the Leofoto LN-364C or RRS TVC-33. I really think both of these tripods are the perfect size for both glassing and shooting off of, go to any match and you will see that these are what most people are using. I would try and go with one of those two if it were me, but like I said it's up to you. I own both the LN-364c and the LN-404c. I have packed the LN-404c while hunting, and don't ever want to do it again. The 364c is my "best of all worlds" tripod personally.

Ball Head/Leveling Head/Fluid Head

If you're only going to have one of these, I will argue that it needs to be a Large ballhead Like the 55mm ballheads that several companies offer. Again, pick one that fits your budget and roll with it. If you're going to be hunting in a canyon, this is almost a necessity so that you aren't messing with your tripod legs all day, because I hate that. If you only plan on using this on pretty flat ground, a leveling head will work. I personally don't like shooting off the leveling head and prefer to shoot off a ballhead. Pics Below

I own a LH-55 Ballhead and YB75SC Leveling head, and I will say that they both have their place. If I am trying to not pack a ton of weight and going somewhere I don't need the ballhead, I will take the leveling head, but I still really like the Ballhead for most cases.

Now for the optional part here- The Fluid head. I haven't had this for very long but it is so much nicer than trying to glass with a ballhead or a leveling head. But I still like to run the ballhead or leveling head to get this level and put this on an arca plate to mount it up and then use the fluid head to glass, and take it off to clip a rifle in. See pics below, I am not an expert on fluid heads, but for the tiny bit of weight this adds, i would almost say that this is a must if you're going to be spending any considerable time behind glass. seriously, try it out. you will thank me. totally worth the money from my experience.

Adapters/Arca Plates

I am new to the glassing with binos, so i haven't had this set up very long but I am using an Outdoorsmans tripod adapter for my 18x56 UHD's and it's the only way to go. I think that if you're going to get anything else you may as well just not get it. I lucked out and scored mine with my binos (thanks Kindabitey) . But if you're going to use one, this is the only one to spend your money on.

As for arca plates. I am not going to tell you that you have to buy the RRS plates, but i will say that the only ones that haven't made me want to throw my binos or spotter in the bottom of a canyon have been the RRS plates than have some kind of anti twist mechanism on them. See Pics Below.

Arca Plates for rifles- again, anything that is cut to the correct spec on the dovetail will work. I prefer the Short Arca plates that John Kyle makes at Foundation, even for my manners carbon stocks they are the ones I use since I can get the rail back further due to how his are cut, but you can buy a 6 dollar arca plate on ebay if you don't want to spend 60 bucks on one if his. If you have OCD, make sure this is mounted straight on the stock, I have seen a number of you out there with holes drilled all kinds of jacked up and it just really bothers me that someone would spend a thousand dollars on a stock and then not take the 3 minutes to drill some holes in the correct location, to each his own. I have a pic below of one of my rifles clipped into a ballhead and then a picture of how the plate is mounted to the stock.

Since a lot of people have asked for this specific information-Basically if you're wanting the cheapest/lightest weight set up to get ya by and still be fully covered-

Leofoto LN364C Tripod
Leofoto YB75SC Leveling Head
Cheap Arca Plate on rifle
Cheap Arca Plate on spotter/bino adapter

Now time for Pictures-

IMG_3178.jpgIMG_3180.jpgIMG_3181.jpgIMG_3182.jpgIMG_3183.jpgIMG_3184.jpgIMG_3185.jpgIMG_3186.jpgIMG_3189.jpgIMG_3190.jpg

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me. I hope this helps someone out there save a few bucks and a bunch of frustration.