• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best gun cleaning kit

chungus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I have a half dozen various brand cleaning rods, brushes, jags, etc. They do the job but are all kind of crappy. I am wanting to purchase a quality setup. I don’t know who makes them but I have seen some cleaning rods that were one piece and fiberglass or something similar and they spun on the handles almost as if they had bearings. I am finally at a spot where I have some quality rifles and now I want some quality equipment to take care of them. What do you recommend?

Don't buy a kit. Make your own. Buy a quality one piece cleaning rod from a good company like Tipton (carbon fiber) or Dewey (coated stainless) or a few others with similar designs. I have two - a .22 cal for .22 to 6.5, and a .30 for .30 to .338+. Then buy a quality jag, brush, and bore mop for each of the calibers you shoot (I prefer Parker-Hale type jags that you wrap the patch around). Then patches for each caliber (some will overlap calibers), bore solvent of choice, a quality gun oil, and a tube of gun grease. A few "tools" are included like toothbrushes for scrubbing, cotton swabs, screwdriver kit with multiple bits, etc. I store it all in a tackle box with enough dividers to keep it all organized, labeled, and separated. Also in the box is a short pistol cleaning rod, rag, chamber brushes, rod guides, etc, etc. Anything that might leak goes in a ziploc bag, as do the various sized patches.

I store my cleaning rods in tubes made from lengths of PVC pipe with a cap glued on one end, and another (not glued) on the other. The rods go underneath the back seat of my truck, the tackle box in the back. Whenever I shoot, no matter what I'm shooting (pistol, rifle, shotgun) I have everything I need to clean, maintain, or make some field repairs right there in the box.

The best cleaning kit is the one you assemble, all those premade kits from Outers, Hoppes, Breakthrough, etc...are pretty much big box store shit.

There's going to be various opinions regarding brands but the recipe for a good cleaning kit is:

1. Cleaning Rod: One-piece, coated or carbon fiber, free rotating handle, longer than you think you need. Tipton, Dewey, Pro-Shot are all good companies that make a product that will serve you well. For cleaning the chamber, get a pistol cleaning rod, the handle won't rotate so you can spin it in the chamber.
2. Brass Jags: I mostly use Parker Hale type...forget spear-type or patch holders. They look like this:
1698984823074.jpeg

If you get them from Dewey, you made need an adapter if you intend to use them with other cleaning rods since they are female threaded.
3. Brushes: I use them sparingly but nylon brushes work ok but not as well as bronze phosphor, however BP bore brushes can give you a false positive regarding copper. Regardless, I mostly use these to clean the chamber anyway. Dewey and Proshot make really good brushes.
4. Patches: Cotton flannel patches from KleenBore are great.
5. Bore Guide: Get a bore guide specifically for your action, the universal ones suck. I've used the Possum Hollow ones for years and they work well. Get the solvent port if you get one.
6. Toothbrushes: Get GI-Type toothbrushes, Otis Tech makes some damn good toothbrushes, with blue bristles.
Get ones that look like this:
1698985339756.jpeg

Not these, these suck:
1698985398921.jpeg

7. Solvent: There's a wide wide world of solvent out there, there's bore solvent, copper cleaner, foaming bore cleaner, etc... I've generally gotten by with Shooter's Choice MC-7 and if I need to do a quick clean I'll use a foaming bore cleaner.
8. Rags: white or blue shop towels, old t-shirts work ok too
9. Q-Tips: Don't get ones with a plastic stem, get one with a cardboard stem that you can bend to get into nooks and crannies.
10. Picks: Steel dental picks, the plastic ones are crap. They're good for getting goop out of nooks and crannies but also getting o-rings out, gas rings, and other stuff.
11. Flashlight: Doesn't need to be high lumen but a bendy neck is good and a magnetic base is handy too.

That's about it for the basics, from there you can specialty tools if you want like chamber cleaners and stuff. Lens cleaning wise a pack of Zeiss wipes and some Spudz microfiber clothes are going to take care of 95% of your glass cleaning needs.

These deep Plano Stowaway containers do a good job of holding most of that shit too.

1698986538236.jpeg

@Trigger Monkey is right. For years (fudd teaching) I used a multi part aluminum rod and loop patch holder or bore snakes. Nothing wrong for a field cleaning, but to do the job right tou need a one piece rod and the proper patch and jag combination.

It is also cartridge dependent. I use a different cleaning method with my Cowboy Action guns versus my hunting/precision rifles.

I have been watching @Frank Green ’s thoughts and posts for what barrel markers “REALLY” see and think.

The bottom line is, what the barrel manufacturer recommends AND what the Barrel tells you in regards to accuracy.

I ran the same random rods & jags until a couple weeks ago I decided enough was enough.

I basically ordered the whole Boretech catalog for all calibers I have.
Standardized & organized so cleaning is no longer a hunt through 3 different toolboxes of random junk.

Attachments

• FC970EF0-2839-41C6-8CFB-98A8BA698048.jpeg
    FC970EF0-2839-41C6-8CFB-98A8BA698048.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
Good quality rod ie Montana, bore tech etc.

Good jags

A pile of mops

I am a big user of vfg pellets and rarely use a brush.

Reactions: giumau1
I agree with many that the best kit is the one you assemble for yourself. I use
  1. Lucas bore guides
  2. Combination of rods made by Ivy, Stiller, and BoreTech
  3. Small non-rotating pistol rod and brush for cleaning the chamber
  4. Parker Hale type jags
  5. Bronze brush used SPARINGLY
  6. Specific other stuff like Q-tips, microfiber towels, etc
  7. Solvents and oil from KG industries

I agree with many that the best kit is the one you assemble for yourself. I use
  1. Lucas bore guides
  2. Combination of rods made by Ivy, Stiller, and BoreTech
  3. Small non-rotating pistol rod and brush for cleaning the chamber
  4. Parker Hale type jags
  5. Bronze brush used SPARINGLY
  6. Specific other stuff like Q-tips, microfiber towels, etc
  7. Solvents and oil from KG industries
Love KG.

I buy mostly boretech stuff because its made to work together. For example, most copper solvents will attack brass jags, so anyone recording brass is a fool, unless its for cleaning 22s.

Boretech and some other companies make a different metal jag that wont get attacked by the solvent, and give you false readings on the patches when you pull them (many will turn blue or other color).

All you really need is good rod, a jag, a few nylon brushes, appropriate sized patch and a bunch of qtips. A bore mop on a pistol rod is good to have as well for cleaning chamber/carbon rings out. Pretty much any of the modern copper/carbon solvents will work, but I would try to stay away from stuff with amonia in it. Less forgiving if you forget about it or don't clean it out completely. I would get a longer rod than they sell in most stores. An action + bore guide +26" barrel + 4" brake is going to need like 42+" to clear the brake.

Do this for each caliber you have. 22rf, .223, 243, 264 308 for example.

Reactions: BipThatInstance
Not much to add that others hadn't, a USGI or Otis kit is only good in a small pinch or to have as a beater, build you own.

And if you reload without QC (not that I've ever done that lmao....) or you shoot sketchy remanufactured ammo or buy any ammo with a thin blue line and/or a pitbull on it you'll want to get a squib rod/punch. Deep River makes a 22 inch one and I believe DAA also makes one.

Add a few bamboo grilling skewers. I've found that these a much more durable than toothpicks. You can find them in 5mm diameter as well.

1699019239445.png

Montana Xtreme & Proshot make the nicest rods.

I still own multiple Dewey’s that I used for one or two decades, but I stopped purchasing them. They’re too flexible for my liking and I’m leery of stuff becoming embedded in the coating over time. That said, my concerns are probably unfounded.

I own one BoreTech rod, but it was machined improperly & every jag threads in at an angle. The handle bearings are quality though. I’ve only used it once, as it is clearly dragging, and I haven’t contacted them. I used BoreTech's online submission form to submit a complaint & they responded within an hour. The tip is replaceable and they've shipped me a new one. As I've never seen another complaint about their rods, I am pretty confident my damaged rod was an outlier.

The only one piece rod I can think of but haven’t owned is a Tipton CF. I’ve read that the carbon fiber degrades over time and will crack.

Other than that, everyone above has covered everything pretty well.

Don’t mix your chemicals. I like BoreTech or plain old Hoppe’s.

Q-Tips like these will speed up your cleaning process. They’re great for getting into lug raceways and around bolt faces. 6 Inches Pointed Cotton Swabs with Storage Case (500 ct Pointed) https://a.co/d/ilvS8HE

PMA Tool makes great bore guides

Last edited:
I wanted to add also, get a bench vise, it doesn't have to be huge, I have a 4" mechanic's vise from Lowes that's been chugging along for years but a vise is invaluable for cleaning and maintenance.

If your rifle has AICS mags, check these maintenance blocks out from Crosstac, they're pretty handy. They also make them for AICS compatible .22's like Vudoo's, Bergara's, etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc
Nobody makes a cleaning kits worth a damn but if you want a one stop shop Boretech is the place. Their rods, jags, bore guides, and solvents are the best I’ve ever used. The only thing I source elsewhere is lubricants and patches, not because I don’t like boretechs offerings (never tried them) but I’ve got a huge supply of oils and greases and pro shot patches already and usually grab that stuff locally when I’m out.

Reactions: Balor
I wanted to add also, get a bench vise, it doesn't have to be huge, I have a 4" mechanic's vise from Lowes that's been chugging along for years but a vise is invaluable for cleaning and maintenance.

If your rifle has AICS mags, check these maintenance blocks out from Crosstac, they're pretty handy. They also make them for AICS compatible .22's like Vudoo's, Bergara's, etc..

I use my tripod in lieu of a vice. Works awesome

Reactions: Trung Si Ma