• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best Gun Lube

Re: Best Gun Lube

Break Free is good stuff, and I would put grease on the moving stuff.

Break Free has a speciality long term storage lube as well that has a little more body to it and stays in place a little better..It's currently covering a couple of mine that don't get out to play very often.

Break free. Although slip 2000 is great as well. But for storage I would spray it down with break free. Cheap and easy.

How long? For a really long time, like years, it's hard to beat cosmoline. It's just a bitch to clean off so I wouldn't use it for short periods.

EEZOX is the best but not sure on a long term basis.
I know there is a Break Free CLP version especially made for long time storage.

Thanks all. I am looking to store some long term. I will try the break free for the long term. I will try the others on the others.

You'll get a million answers on this one. My vote is for TSI301. I've never seen anything like it. It leaves no heavy film, is anti static, pleasant smelling and won't accumulate dust and dirt. Since I started using it many years ago, I've yet to find a speck of rust on anything it has touched. It stays/lasts a long time although it isn't really evident that it is there. It also is very thin so it creeps well into unreachable places.

Break Free is too heavy and it accumulates stuff. I use it to lube the shaft on my Wilson case trimmer. I left it on my Wilson case holders and they rusted some. Keep in mind they are bare steel.

TSI301.

no such thing as a generic "best," although cosmoline (sp?) is getting pretty close. Nasty but it works pretty darn well for very long-term storage.

How are you going to store the firearm, and for how long? If its in an environmentally controlled location with limited humidity like a basement in the Arizona desert, your needs are less demanding. If you are going to let it sit in a storage shed in Houston for 10 years, your needs are different.

For any kind of long term storage you'll want some type of VPI or similar product. They now sell a storage bag that you slide a rifle into and then seal it which will provide considerable protection all by itself. I would double it up with a coating on the metal parts, but I can attest to the validity of the VPI concept, having used it in Houston for years in my garage.

Jeffvn