• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Gun safe?

MikeD987

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2013
Waco, Texas
I don't know if this topic has been brought up but I'm in the market for a gun safe looking for what ever is worth the money. I plan on buying just one safe and one safe only. I have only really 2 guns and may only go up to owning about 3-5 max. Hand guns included in that number. I want something that is fire resistant and digital keypad or biometric (I hear this isn't reliable when it comes to gun safes).
I want it big enough so no one can walk out of my house with it but small enough so I can put it in a decent sized closet. Price range 500-1000. What are yawls recommendations? :) Pictures are welcome!

I plan on buying just one safe and one safe only. I have only really 2 guns and may only go up to owning about 3-5 max. Hand guns included in that number.

Famous last words. ;) Before you know it you'll trying to figure out where to put the 2nd Liberty "Fat Boy" safe (or similar size) and wondering where the hell your savings account went. The Hide is a dangerous place for folks not "planning on" buying a bunch of cool stuff.

FWIW, in that price-range and your (currently intended) purpose, you could probably pick up a small Liberty. There are certainly better brands out there (Graffunder and Amsec come inmmediately to mind), but if it's inside a closet and bolted down, then it can really only be attacked from the front and until you go full-retard the way many of us have, it will work for what you want. After you've lost your mind buying neat toys, it will still be handy for all the extra optics, ammo, magazines, bipods, mounts, rings, laser range-finders, Kestrels, etc that you've accumulated.

I'd suggest stretching your budget just a bit and look at a Champion Trophy series. In your price range, your not going to get anything with good metal/protection for the most part, so go for something that will at least provide much better Fire prot. than those store brands in that range with inflated or manipulated Ratings. Gun Safes | Home Safes | Fireproof Safes - Champion Trophy Gun Safe

Having thin steel etc.........the defense from bad people will be up to you to conceal, bolt down, etc........except for the prof. that knows what you have and wants it. few safes are immune to that.

http://www.steelwatergunsafes.com
Have no experience with these, but something to ponder and some videos to watch

Save up just a bit more, then start looking on CL for AMSEC safes, TL-15 or better, TL-30 rated. Anything higher will cost you a LOT more, anything weaker is considered a residential security container. TL-15/30 means the safe rated for such can withstand a concerted attack by two guys who know their shit for a minimum of 15 or 30 minutes respectively. An RSC can be violated in less than a minute by someone who knows their shit or just happens to be well armed with violent tools to get the job done.

You'll have to keep an eye out for one of these AMSEC's to pop up, but trust me, they will pop up and you will save a LOT on these used. They'll use old school combo locks, but that's actually a good thing. These TL-15/30's are "real" safes complete with 5" thick steel doors and solid plate steel sides --no sheet metal. They come in all sizes, but generally are about refrigerator sized (small to med. large refrigerator) and weigh 1 ton or more. They'll hold what you need and have some room for a little more too, and you can keep other valuables in it too.

Good info there Strykervet. I've outgrown my "fat boy", and am going to keep it for all the "extra stuff" and have been looking for a resource on used Amsec. I totally forgot about Craigslist. I guess they have more than just hookers, huh? ;)

I don't know if this topic has been brought up but I'm in the market for a gun safe looking for what ever is worth the money. I plan on buying just one safe and one safe only. I have only really 2 guns and may only go up to owning about 3-5 max. Hand guns included in that number. I want something that is fire resistant and digital keypad or biometric (I hear this isn't reliable when it comes to gun safes).
I want it big enough so no one can walk out of my house with it but small enough so I can put it in a decent sized closet. Price range 500-1000. What are yawls recommendations? :) Pictures are welcome!

Two threads this week already, here is one:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...quipment/229766-gun-safes-how-select-why.html

Went through all that research a little while ago, pulled my hair for 2 weeks then bought a Fort Knox , couldn't be happier.

I bought a liberty safe and like it very well I really wish they sold them with the led lights in it but I added them to mine and that made it very nice

This may meet your criteria:

BIGHORN 19ECB Safe

Look at the website and call Sturdy Safes. Family owned and operated. I've had the pleasure of meeting them and visiting the facility. Old school American manufacturing. Good people, great product.

whatever size you think you need, triple it. Seriously. they fill up super quick. Choosing the right safe is tough. It really depends on where you live, the layout of your house, the guns you have, and any security in place. For example: If you live in a housing development, with neighbors 100ft away, kids playing everywhere, and you have a security system, you can get away with a RSC. But if you live on a farm, out in the middle of nowhere, with no neighbors visible or close enough to hear you scream, then I would look at an actual SAFE, life a Graffunder.

All of the safes in that price range are going to be the same. They are going to be thin sheet metal and drywal so size is the only thing that is going to increase weight and make it harder for a couple people to drag out. They're going to offer minimal theft protection, and minimal fire protection. Just know this going into it. Pick the one with features you want and roll with it.