• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Best Gun Shop Stories... Share them!

Re: Best Gun Shop Stories... Share them!

One local gun shop owner told me a new female ATF agent came in to check his books, and noted that he sold a .22 Hornet rifle to some guy from New Jersey. That's not legal in NJ, that's an assault rifle, say she. Owner patiently shows her another woodchuck rifle in 22 Hornet.....your tax dollars at work.

they don't have to be female... on my last inspection, I was told that 1: I couldn't sell a rifle to someone from out of state under ANY circumstances. 2) that I couldn't mail a firearm through the USPS. 3) that I couldn't ship a firearm to another in state person.

this was by 2 MALE ATF agents

And so it goes. The incompetence of the Federal Government and many who work there is epic.

Last time I went to academy I asked the guy behind the counter what self defense ammo was selling well these days. His reply started with "well i dont know why it matters. when IM kicking down doors.....". Not sure what ammo academy guy uses when he kicks down doors, because i was in my car before he finished talking. I havnt asked academy sales people for help since.

I went to a local gun shop once, and was told that POF rifles were okay, but CMMG was generally leaps and bounds better.

Any story from any worker at Jensens in Loveland Co...

I avoid that store as much as possible but one of the best stupid things I've heard from a worker there was that <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL</span> 1911s (.45) will crack and blow up in your hand after 1000 rounds and all the other dickheads were nodding in approval, even chiming in with their own bullshit stories.

Two super memorable experiences- among many.

Walk into a much recommended pawn shop to browse guns. Nothing noteworthy on rack- sign on counter 'Ask if you don't see it, many guns in back.'
Me: Got any 788s back there?
Lardass Counter Helper: No- don't get much call for those. Everyone wants .243's these days.

He thought it was a caliber- WOW.

At a gunshow sometime back in Roanoke, browsing a dealer's table I found a trinket I wanted. Asked about doing some trading and he was all about. I handed him my EAA Witness in .38 Super, box, mags etc. He looked at it, hemmed, hawwed, showed it to another guy who favored it, then he handed it back with the response: I don't know........ ya know those new calibers like that, they may ketch on and they may not.....I don't want to get stuck with something they'll quit makin' ammo fer.

I just walked on down the line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any story from any worker at Jensens in Loveland Co...

I avoid that store as much as possible but one of the best stupid things I've heard from a worker there was that <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL</span> 1911s (.45) will crack and blow up in your hand after 1000 rounds and all the other dickheads were nodding in approval, even chiming in with their own bullshit stories.</div></div>

Ha! Poor Jensen's. Shay is a great guy over there, but he works with a bunch of tools. I had a friend go in there looking for a 9mm. The guy behind the counter told him that he was a fu#king idiot for wanting a 9mm.

Now that's they way to win business!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any story from any worker at Jensens in Loveland Co...

I avoid that store as much as possible but one of the best stupid things I've heard from a worker there was that <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL</span> 1911s (.45) will crack and blow up in your hand after 1000 rounds and all the other dickheads were nodding in approval, even chiming in with their own bullshit stories.</div></div>

Ha! Poor Jensen's. Shay is a great guy over there, but he works with a bunch of tools. I had a friend go in there looking for a 9mm. The guy behind the counter told him that he was a fu#king idiot for wanting a 9mm.

Now that's they way to win business! </div></div>

They're asshats! They do have low prices on guns but if you ask, Jax will price match Jensens' prices so I just window shop Jensens and buy at Jax.

last week at academy a guy looking at pistols said, i wont buy from cabelas cause they let people dry fire them ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any story from any worker at Jensens in Loveland Co...

They're asshats! They do have low prices on guns but if you ask, Jax will price match Jensens' prices so I just window shop Jensens and buy at Jax.</div></div>

Oh, good to know. Jensen's does have some good prices, so that's a bonus that I can go to Jax instead. You need to check out Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont. They're super great, nice inventory, and they know there stuff. Ask for Zach, he's great.

"Can I use my Medical Marijuana card as ID to purchase a pistol?

Got that one last week. Yes, I work weekends at a gun shop.

Wally

Was picking up a new toy before Christmas. Some woman called, I overheard the conversation, wanting to know if they carried a full face scope. After the employee asked her to describe what the F%^& she was talking about, she said a rifle scope you look through with both eyes to shoot.

While at the local gun shop, customer brings in a rifle to sell to them. A little price haggling going on, but the customer just wants a little more money for the scoped rifle. Owner says his offer is fair. Owner turns and ask me...."Is $350 a fair offer????"

I reply....."for the used Remington 700 or the $1000 scope on it?"

"i hit that elk at 600 yards with my 270 and 3x9 refield"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last time I went to academy I asked the guy behind the counter what self defense ammo was selling well these days. His reply started with "well i dont know why it matters. when IM kicking down doors.....". Not sure what ammo academy guy uses when he kicks down doors, because i was in my car before he finished talking. I havnt asked academy sales people for help since.

I went to a local gun shop once, and was told that POF rifles were okay, but CMMG was generally leaps and bounds better. </div></div>

Ha ha ha...oh, wow!

I had a guy acouple of years ago bring a mauser to me and in broken english tells me "it no go boom". So I take the rifle and asked for the cartrige. Well he hads me a badly sportized 8mm mauser and a 270 cartrige. I actually laughed and asked him if he was really that dumb? Well he asked why I said that, so I inserted the round closed the bolt and tilted the rifle up and down. You could actually here the round rattle around in the chamber. So I told him he was using the wrong cartrige in the rifle. And he says and I quote " it's a gun and it's a bullet it should shoot", so I told him to get the fuck out of my shop and don't come back.

A relative works in a gun shop, and asked me down to show me around. He got busy, so one of his younger helpers was showing me some o the pistols in the case. I would name one, and he would get it out. I figured they must have EVERYTHING, since after about 10 pistols he hadn't missed a one. I asked him for a "Phased-Plasma rifle in the 40 watt range" He stopped for a second, then said "The rifles are in the other case," and headed that way.
My friend overheard me, and came over. "Stop picking on the kid."

Was working on the road and got to thinkin I wanted a little AR15. So I called the local shop and said I was lookin for a Bushmaster and wanted to get a price. Being out of town I said I was in no Real hurry and would call back the next day for a price. When I called back I could not get a price because they said they had some problem with the company they worked with. I called back every other day for 2 weeks while workin a ice storm.
When I got home I stopped at the store and asked for a price again and told them who I was.The guy remembered me and said he would try to get a price again for a BUSHMASTER. While he was on the phone I saw 3 on the wall. He came back and told me no luck yet again. When I asked what the hell was wrong with the one's on the wall, NO SHIT he said ( I thought you wanted a bushmaster. Those are AR15's !!!!!!) I cant make shit like this up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old95b10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">( I thought you wanted a bushmaster. Those are AR15's !!!!!!) I cant make shit like this up! </div></div>
LOL!!!
M242-1.jpg

M242 Bushmaster

Even if you could afford the gun, you would have a hell of a time feeding it...

We have a guy that comes in on EVERY saturday to our local store. He brings in his composite AR15 lower and explains how ever part went in and all the "fitting" he had to do to make it work. He got so annoying that the owners have asked him to leave several times.

To say he is crazy is an understatement, the fact that he has guns is what alarms me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any story from any worker at Jensens in Loveland Co...

They're asshats! They do have low prices on guns but if you ask, Jax will price match Jensens' prices so I just window shop Jensens and buy at Jax.</div></div>

Oh, good to know. Jensen's does have some good prices, so that's a bonus that I can go to Jax instead. You need to check out Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont. They're super great, nice inventory, and they know there stuff. Ask for Zach, he's great. </div></div>

10-4 I've never been there but a new shop is worth the drive. Thanks for the tip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WallyAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Can I use my Medical Marijuana card as ID to purchase a pistol?

Got that one last week. Yes, I work weekends at a gun shop.

Wally </div></div>

STOP, STOP EVERYONE; THIS IS IT WE HAVE A WINNER; WE ARE DONE HERE...

Not sure if this qualifies but I thought it was interesting.

I was in a gunshop up in PA and was looking in the handgun case. In the case there was a nickel plated Colt Python with a 6 inch barrel and a Leupold scope. I could in no way, shape, or form afford such a gun but it was just too pretty not to look at. The guy behind the counter gets it out to let me hold it. We're talking about it and I mention it's not really legal for deer hunting in my area.

His response? <span style="text-decoration: underline">It would be good for killing people.
</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">WTF</span>

Apparently in Maryland the laws on hunting deer are significantly more strict than those regarding murder... you guys take your deer seriously!

God help me, I worked at Gander Mountain once in the firearms dept.....I ordered a Sadlak scope mount for my M1A Supermatch. I wanted our gunsmith to put it on. I figured he had done a few of these.....Two days later he calls me over and tells me to take my gun home and the mount is still in the box. He says he needs to remove the trigger guard to put the mount on, and because its glass beaded he is afraid to bust the beading.....I figure par for the course, go home, 2 hours latter have the mount on and did not even have to touch the trigger guard....Took the gun back into work the next day to be an ass:) I do not know everything about guns. I asked a dumb question in the gunsmith section on here the other day. I swear, the customers and employees of Gander Mtn. made me look like a rocket scientist. I quit after a month:)

Gunshow this past weekend, guy with just a few handguns, nothing very nice except a 1911A1 Colt military that looked new in box (NOT saying it was, but it looked the part) I paid it little attention as it didn't really interest me, and a "Match"? "Match Target"? Some sort of special marked 38Super obviously old, extremely nice <span style="text-decoration: underline">except for some sort of bulbus looking aftermarket sights </span> I asked permission to pick it up and this dude got an incredulous look and says "I suppose so, that's only one of 500 of them made and worth $10,000. Nobody's had the balls to pick it up today"! So I picked it up and said "handling it really doesn't give me the thrill it did when I handled serial #315 a couple years ago". He was lying, I wasn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramrod14(winkie)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a guy acouple of years ago bring a mauser to me and in broken english tells me "it no go boom". So I take the rifle and asked for the cartrige. Well he hads me a badly sportized 8mm mauser and a 270 cartrige. I actually laughed and asked him if he was really that dumb? Well he asked why I said that, so I inserted the round closed the bolt and tilted the rifle up and down. You could actually here the round rattle around in the chamber. So I told him he was using the wrong cartrige in the rifle. And he says and I quote " it's a gun and it's a bullet it should shoot", so I told him to get the fuck out of my shop and don't come back. </div></div>

Hahahaaa damn, this one has two of my favorite quotes so far...

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">"it no go boom"</span></span>

AND

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">"get the fuck out of my shop and don't come back"</span></span></span>

A few years back, killing some time at the local pawn store/gun shop. Maybe three people in the store, and a couple employees behind the counter. Guy walks up to the counter, says he's got a pistol he's interested in selling. Store employee, a retired Marine, asks to see it. Guy pulls a 1911 out of his waistband and hands it to the employee. Employee drops the magazine, which is full, then operates the slide, which ejects a round. The store went silent as a morgue for an instant when the round hit the counter. Next sound was the employee all but throwing the pistol at the idiot and ordering him out of the store and warning him that he would be met with drawn weapons if he ever again showed his face at that store.

While looking things over in the ammo section, another customer walks in and was looking at ammo too. The clerk asked the older Gent, "Is there something I can help you find"? The man said "I need help on what shells I need for a 12 ga. shotgun". Clerk says, "Well, what will you be wanting to shoot Sir?" The ol boy paused for a second or two and then whispers "People".

It wasn't a gun shop, it was Wal Mart for me. I was about 18 or 19 and my Dad bought me a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. I went to Wal Mart for a box of ammo. I told the dipshit what I needed and he asked for my ID. No problem, I handed it to him. He told me I had to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. I showed him the sign behind him on the gun case that said I had to be 18 to buy ammo intended for a rifle or shotgun and 21 to buy handgun ammo. I told him what the ammo was for and he informed me that there was no such thing as a .44 mag rifle. I told him if that was true, then I was screwed out of $140!
Recently, out of curiosity I asked an Academy employee why somebody had to be 21 to buy a shotgun with a pistol grip. He told me they were classified as handguns...... WTF?!?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently in Maryland the laws on hunting deer are significantly more strict than those regarding murder... you guys take your deer seriously! </div></div>

That's why we got 13 million of them.

My friend comes up from Ca. to pheasant hunt in 98. I had to stop in a gun shop
to pic up a gun that had been sent out for bluing, we were in his truck. Now these
old boys were sporting clay shooters and had a rack full of Perazzis in the store
among other high dollar guns. Two of the guys took a good look through the window at the Ca. plates on the 4 runner as we drove up. Dave pulls his 101 out of
the case and takes it in the shop with us. I greet the owner and his two friends and
Dave blurts out, "can you fix this (holding up the 101) it missed a pheasant today."
Until the day the ol boy closed the shop we never told him, just let him think all
Californians were as dumb as stumps.

I used to hang out at a pistol range/gunshop in Dallas where I guy came in one day and wanted to buy some 9mm HP. They pulled a box off the shelf and quoted him whatever outrageous price that placed charged with their ridiculous markup. This was obviously a bit more than the guy was expecting. He's pauses for a minute and then says "Only need one, do I have to buy the whole box?"

"I've been out of the country for a few years and want to purchase a rifle", I'm thinking military as he is younger with a crew cut, etc. "Is there a problem considering I was just released from a Mexican prison?"

Awesome, Wally

Must have been VERY badly sporterized if you were able to close the bolt on a 270 Win. cartridge (1.948" to shoulder) in an 8mm Mauser chamber (1.827" to shoulder). (Metallic Cartridge Reloading 3rd edition)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RidgeAve. Rifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if this qualifies but I thought it was interesting.

I was in a gunshop up in PA and was looking in the handgun case. In the case there was a nickel plated Colt Python with a 6 inch barrel and a Leupold scope. I could in no way, shape, or form afford such a gun but it was just too pretty not to look at. The guy behind the counter gets it out to let me hold it. We're talking about it and I mention it's not really legal for deer hunting in my area.

His response? <span style="text-decoration: underline">It would be good for killing people.
</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">WTF</span></div></div>

Well...

Stopped in at a gun shop i stop at every few weeks after work. A man was asking about starting to reload shotgun shells. He asked the guy behind the counter what powder to use and the man said it doesnt really matter they were all the same. Then told him that wads and primers were all the same as well and it didnt matter what hull you used and that a 34 bushing in the press should work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A man was asking about starting to reload shotgun shells. </div></div>

I see personal injury in his future and a lawsuit being filed shortly there after.

I've had primers seat sideways while running my shotgun press and when they go off due to being crushed sideways its not a pleasant experience to say the least. Also, you can't hear anything for the rest of the day.

Customer "Can I purchase a handgun if I have a domestic violence charge?"

Me "Were you convicted?"

Customer "I can't remember, I was drunk alot back then"

Me "Alrighty then"

Wally

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"i hit that elk at 600 yards with my 270 and 3x9 refield" </div></div>

I have told this before but...

I took my Surgeon Scalpel to my friendly gunsmith to have the barrel threaded for a silencer (this is in the days before I got my lathe). While I was standing at the counter talking to him about how well I did in the last F-class match with it, some local citizen (redneck) comes up and offers up that he can "shoot a quarter" at a thousand. We all just stopped and looked at this guy and I said "how is that?" He said a gunsmith he knows "sweetened the barrel" for him and now it shoots like a laser. I calmly offered to host him as a guest at the range so we could shoot at 1000 yards with his sweet rifle. It never came about.

Its great to call people on their BS.

At a local pawn/gun shop I was standing off to the side when a guy walks in and asks the head gun counter worker if they have ever been robbed. They guy says "no, and if you ever get the notion to try..." and pulls out an ar-15 from behind the counter with a beta mag. Then reaches over and pulls out a shortened 870 and is open carrying a 1911. The guy that asked the question just "ooooooook" and turned around a left.

a few weeks back I went to a local gun shop to get some targets and some ammo, when I noticed a Remington 5r on display. I had read a lot about them but had never actually handled one so I asked to see it. The guy behind the counter handed it to me and then started to explain to me that it was the "civilian" version of the m-24. I thought he just meant that they were kind of similar, and was the closest to the m-24 that they sold, until he said that anything closer would be considered a military weapon, and it would be illegal to sell to the general public. I gave him the rifle back and walked away... although I really liked it and may go back to pick it up when I get my funds in order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zwhetz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a few weeks back I went to a local gun shop to get some targets and some ammo, when I noticed a Remington 5r on display. I had read a lot about them but had never actually handled one so I asked to see it. The guy behind the counter handed it to me and then started to explain to me that it was the "civilian" version of the m-24. I thought he just meant that they were kind of similar, and was the closest to the m-24 that they sold, until he said that anything closer would be considered a military weapon, and it would be illegal to sell to the general public. I gave him the rifle back and walked away... although I really liked it and may go back to pick it up when I get my funds in order. </div></div>

Haha, I guess a lot of precision smithing outfits are going to jail then.

Guy today is asking me about a "9 mil" for his fiancee, for concealed carry... she chimes in that she won't carry it, why does she need a permit, he says "if you have a permit and shoot someone, even if you're wrong, the permit makes you right"...

I'm now the asshole that refused to sell them a gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy today is asking me about a "9 mil" for his fiancee, for concealed carry... she chimes in that she won't carry it, why does she need a permit, he says "<span style="color: #FF0000">if you have a permit and shoot someone, even if you're wrong, the permit makes you right"...</span>

I'm now the asshole that refused to sell them a gun </div></div>

Yeah, that should shorten up the lines at starbucks. It's people like that who give the media something to make guns and responsible gun owners look like a menace to society.