• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best gunsmithing bit set?

josh.rizzo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2014
I recently discovered first-hand the problems with standard hardware store screwdriver bits. While trying to remove a stuck action screw, the hardened steel allen screw head on the action screw stripped several bits round, leaving the screw head relatively unscathed. While I'm glad the screw wasn't damaged, I would like my screwdriver bits to stand up to a bit more torque.

Any recommendations on really good screwdriver bits for gunsmithing?

Brownells makes a nice magna series set for bench use of packing. I like the Chapman's for my range bag.

The wheeler engineering 89 piece bit set is pretty nice for the money.

I have the 89 piece Wheeler set and Brownells Magna set. Hands down the Brownells are best. I use them most of the time and only "fill in" with the Wheeler bits that are not duplicates of the Brownells.

I have the wheeler set and it works. I was dissapointed in that all bits rusted (even though my garage isn't excessively humid), they still work but once in awhile it affects fitment into the driver.