• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best handheld rangefinder with AB

DFNM

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2021
I bought a set of swaro SLC 10x42 and am wanting to upgrade my handheld rangefinder to something that’s a good laser with applied ballistics that’ll link with my kestrel.

I’m looking for a Handheld rangefinder not ranging binos. And it has to have AB or AB lite. Just trying to get peoples opinions that have more experience with them then me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Since you asked for best without a budget limit......this will be the absolute best that has AB and links to Kestrel.

• Haha
Reactions: adubeau and DFNM
  • Haha
Reactions: CaptNkllm
I have the Vortex Fury 5000HD and Sig Kilo 3000BDX both are optically the same but the sigs will link to your kestrel. Personally I like the FOV and that I don't have to dig through my bag to get out a rangefinder.
Yeah I’m wanting a handheld rangefinder that’ll be in its little pouch on the side of my bino harness. I debated on getting fury 5000 AB but glass quality is more important to me so I’d rather have swaros and then a separate rangefinder

I am also searching for a rangefinder that will connect with my Kestrel. Some rangefinders like Bushnell Elite 1 Mile Conx say they have AB mode and they update the range on Kestrel. Does this mean it is a one-way connection and Kestrel doesn't send back the solution (Elevation and Windage) to rangefinder? I also looked at Bushnell Nitro 1800 and it seems to have ABE mode, and Kestrel sends back the solution. Is this correct? What is the cheapest rangefinder that connect with Kestrel right now?

Reactions: DFNM
I am also searching for a rangefinder that will connect with my Kestrel. Some rangefinders like Bushnell Elite 1 Mile Conx say they have AB mode and they update the range on Kestrel. Does this mean it is a one-way connection and Kestrel doesn't send back the solution (Elevation and Windage) to rangefinder? I also looked at Bushnell Nitro 1800 and it seems to have ABE mode, and Kestrel sends back the solution. Is this correct? What is the cheapest rangefinder that connect with Kestrel right now?
I’m not sure about Cheapest, but From the research I’ve done one of the best ones in an affordable price range is the sig kilo 2400 bdx with AB I just don’t have any experience with them so I figured throw a post on the forum and get peoples opinions who have had experience with them and different ones which could be better.

Reactions: hedehede81
I’m not sure about Cheapest, but From the research I’ve done one of the best ones in an affordable price range is the sig kilo 2400 bdx with AB I just don’t have any experience with them so I figured throw a post on the forum and get peoples opinions who have had experience with them and different ones which could be better.
So, I was looking at Sig Sauer Kilo3K, what makes Sig Kilo 2400 BDX better than it? The compatibility information on Kestrel site is outdated and doesn't give info about if Kestrel can transmit the solution back to rangefinder. Oh, and I can't even find Sig Kilo 2400 BDX in stock?

Sig offers the best bang for your buck. Make sure you are reading the fine print though as the newer models with AB are not all giving the same version of AB, some run the ultralight version that only calculates out to 800 yards.

So, I was looking at Sig Sauer Kilo3K, what makes Sig Kilo 2400 BDX better than it? The compatibility information on Kestrel site is outdated and doesn't give info about if Kestrel can transmit the solution back to rangefinder. Oh, and I can't even find Sig Kilo 2400 BDX in stock?
The Kilo 3k is a rangefinding binocular and the 2400 is a rangefinder (monocular). There are newer versions for both styles. The 2400 BDX has been discontinued if I’m not mistaken

I was between Sig and the Vortex Fury with AB. I went with Vortex just because of their warranty. Mixing optics with electronics is just asking for something to eventually break. Why not go with a company that has proven to have incredible customer service and warranty. I use them for ranging, and have better glass for spotting.

Reactions: YotaEer
Take a look at the Revic BR4 Ballistic Rangefinder
VECTOR WIND
Both base and vector wind inputs enable quick or fine tuned wind holds

SIMPLE SOLUTIONS
Onboard sensors for temperature, pressure, compass, incline/decline provide enhanced ballistic solutions at the touch of a button

CONNECT
With your phone... and your targets. Bluetooth connectivity pairs with the free Revic Ops app (iOS or Android) for syncing ballistic profiles and over-the-air updates.

FAST 4K
4,000 YD capable on reflective targets.
Near instant ranges & firing solutions.

#SENDIT
Firing solutions in MOA, MIL and our exclusive BDC "Shoot To Range"

Sig 5k - has full AB when connected with kestrel

I was between Sig and the Vortex Fury with AB. I went with Vortex just because of their warranty. Mixing optics with electronics is just asking for something to eventually break. Why not go with a company that has proven to have incredible customer service and warranty. I use them for ranging, and have better glass for spotting.
That warranty won’t help much with his requirement of using AB. Vortex is now only supporting their own ballistic solver that they purchased - GeoBallistics. When yours breaks you’ll receive the new version without AB.

Sig 5k - has full AB when connected with kestrel
I'm completely naive when it comes to this distinction. So when it's connected with a kestrel and I range something at over 800 yards, it will give me a firing solution in the rangefinder? Or am I then checking the kestrel to get the solution?

I'm completely naive when it comes to this distinction. So when it's connected with a kestrel and I range something at over 800 yards, it will give me a firing solution in the rangefinder? Or am I then checking the kestrel to get the solution?
It will display the solution from AB in the rangefinder. It will also send the range to the kestrel and update solution on the kestrel as well.

It will display the solution from AB in the rangefinder. It will also send the range to the kestrel and update solution on the kestrel as well.
And those two solutions will be the same or will the one on the kestrel be the better one? Just wondering since I recently sent in a Sig2200 for warranty and got a Sig Kilo5K back. If I can get this thing to go past 800 and display the best solution in the rangefinder I'd love to. If not, and it requires looking at the kestrel, that's okay too though it's not a huge deal.

And those two solutions will be the same or will the one on the kestrel be the better one? Just wondering since I recently sent in a Sig2200 for warranty and got a Sig Kilo5K back. If I can get this thing to go past 800 and display the best solution in the rangefinder I'd love to. If not, and it requires looking at the kestrel, that's okay too though it's not a huge deal.
It uses sig BDX solution with no kestrel connected. When you connect the kestrel it uses AB for all firing solutions - so yes, they will be the same.

Reactions: NateVA
Has anyone tried the Vortex Razor HD 4000 GB? I know it's doesn't have the AB, but am curious to know of others who've tried this unit?

I have the regular Razor 4000 now and it seems to work well for me.

I would never buy a vortex GB product over something that can run AB - it's been the industry standard for a decade.

If the Sig’s electronics crap out after, what, 5 years(?) all you can do is throw it away.

Here’s a sample of how Sig will “take care” of you.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sig-kilo-2000-dead.7191978/post-11280860

And here’s what you can do with a dead sig electro-optic:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sig-kilo-2000-dead.7191978/post-11280913

I don’t expect electronics to last forever. If my $450 sig does after 5 years I’m not gonna be mad. My $1200 phone barely makes it a year.

Reactions: carbonbased
Has anyone tried the Vortex Razor HD 4000 GB? I know it's doesn't have the AB, but am curious to know of others who've tried this unit?

I have the regular Razor 4000 now and it seems to work well for me.
I’ve got a 4000 GB on order, supposedly it also links up to Kestrels.

Reactions: jonny5isalive
I’ve got a 4000 GB on order, supposedly it also links up to Kestrels.
Only for wind and environment. It will not use AB ballistics. For twice the money of a sig 5k and not being able to use ab I wouldn’t recommend the vortex

Attachments

• IMG_5041.png
    IMG_5041.png
    1 MB · Views: 35
How is AB superior to GB?
If I have zero intentions of buying a Kestrel, does it even matter?

Well. It’s been the industry standard and pushed innovation in ballistics modeling for over a decade. If you are interested in purchasing equipment to give you the best performance and firing solutions - yes it matters. If you aren’t seriously shooting 800+ it realistically won’t matter.

You also mentioned it pairing to kestrel is mostly what I mentioned it.

Reactions: L0ngRnge
OP asked about AB specifically so that is why we are fixated on it, not because its the only solution out there.

You can use GB but how are you reading the wind and inputting all of your atmospherics? If you have a plan and it works, rock on.

OP asked about AB specifically so that is why we are fixated on it, not because its the only solution out there.

You can use GB but how are you reading the wind and inputting all of your atmospherics? If you have a plan and it works, rock on.

The 4000 GB has On-Board compass, humidity, barometric pressure, and exposed temperature sensors… other than reading wind speed, why would you need a Kestrel? Wind speed & direction at the shooter isn’t always what’s going on down range where it matters, so there is a ton of “field estimation” needed on wind calls.

The OP definitely wanted AB, but to say one calculator is better than another because it’s been around longer is pure opinion and not fact.

Reactions: jonny5isalive
The 4000 GB has On-Board compass, humidity, barometric pressure, and exposed temperature sensors… other than reading wind speed, why would you need a Kestrel? Wind speed & direction at the shooter isn’t always what’s going on down range where it matters, so there is a ton of “field estimation” needed on wind calls.

The OP definitely wanted AB, but to say one calculator is better than another because it’s been around longer is pure opinion and not fact.
Its definitely doable with plenty of other calculators. AB does have a couple of advantages in the fact the military is using them, they are the most integrated, and they use doppler radar data instead of just bc for calculations.

There was quite a bit of trash talking back in the day when Hornady dropped the 4DOF program, but in the end it made AB step up their game and we all have better product as a result. Personally I didn't have great results with AB until the CDMs became available.

But to answer your question of why one would need a Kestrel, you don't.... Unless you need it for multiple rifles, want integration with other devices, etc., etc.

I was just looking at the Sig 2400 rangefinders and for the price of them it sounds like I could get one of the combo units. That does all the same stuff but with just 1 piece of equipment to keep track of. Hmmmm