• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best high end action(s) for field use?

Mahk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Lubbock, TX
Hey guys, I've been scouring this and other forums for a week now trying to find an answer to this question and I could still use some guidance, so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse.

I've dipped my toes into the precision game a few times over the years with gas guns and three different 700s in .308 and .30-06 and have a good bit of time behind Bergaras and a little on Tikkas. Got out of long range stuff due to not having anywhere to really shoot. Now I live in the big bear-filled Christmas tree farm out West and I'm looking to get back into it with a custom build .300 PRC for hunting and long range steel.

I see a lot of great info on various actions as far as feel and features (mostly in the context of competition/controlled conditions) but not much about general field reliability and robustness. I had pretty much made up my mind on the threaded Terminus Zeus LA , but while reading through a thread I saw a post about a highly regarded action from another manufacturer getting dirty and locking up the gun. It kinda gave me pause and now I'm wondering: What long actions are a good choice for a rifle that is liable to be lugged around, banged around on an ATV, get dirty, dropped, etc? I may be interested in competition in the future, but for now the primary goal is something thats durable, precise, and reliable under field conditions. It doesn't seem as simple as "Oh $1k+ they're all good" with this consideration.

Please share any insight on what to look for/avoid as i have NO experience with any non-factory actions. Thanks!

If you want the best repeater
Borden mountaineer . I shoot one in a MPA matrix pro chassis with a 308 bolt face. I can screw a 6ppc barrel on and shoot zeros. Yes it handles 6ppc. Screw a 6br barrel back on and and shoots more dots. Benchrest accuracy in a repeater. If you have time watch the Eric Cortina YouTube video
“Believe the target” - Jim Borden.
C5504173-3010-440C-8F23-82E521D742F3.jpeg

Reactions: Redmist
Accuracy International

After that I would say Impact then Bighorn/Zermatt

Lots of great options these days.

For pure robustness though, I think it's hard to top something like the Mausingfield.

Pretty much all of the other custom actions are a version of a pushfeed R700 - some do it better than others.

Reactions: st1650
Check out BAT HR or IGNITER. I recently switched to one for my 300 norma improved build and have been very happy and impressed. I haven't shot it much in dirt but the little I have not one hiccup. I will be shooting it in the nightforce challenge in June. I have 100% confidence in the action very smooth. I was running a arc nucleus gen 2 with great results too. Dirt mud snow and not one issue.

Second on the impact. Long day in November in WA, tagged out a black bear and the rifle tipped over in the mud while field dressing. Then on the hike out, tripped and rifle went into the creek (along with me). Used a game bag to wipe it down and some basic field maintenance and it cycled and the trigger tech diamond sear went off every time. Couldn’t be happier. Those BATs have been tempting too though.

I think any of the modern actions offered over a factory rifle will prove to be a great choice. Something that doesn't have to go back to be squared/trued. There are some amazing quick change barrel offerings out there (high end) and others that made AR15s/AR10s...yesterday...that apparently work very well. I also continually see Tikka action rifles in school houses so they must not be full on suck either. If you're not shooting so much that a barrel change every year, or 3 months, is a necessity the world is your oyster. Good problem to have. I will say that owning an action that will headspace off a prefit barrel, no.....go/no go gauges.....needed, is truly spectacular. When you stack up the price difference of these...and look at everything else you've "invested" in for the hobby/sport, I think many of them are very much worth their value.

Last edited: