• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best high tier pump that takes 3.5

That is an odd question. lol

Intended use would held a little. The Benellli is like a Glock, a very ugly reliable tool. But plastic, fat and ugly.

I believe quality 870's , especially "high tier" ones (if they ever existed) are a thing of the past we won't see again. New owners or not, they'd have a long long way to go to be what they once were.

BPS.... never owed one, handled a few. Don't know what the current ones are like, but I'm inclined to lean that way as an answer to your question.

I have shot a ton with novas and 870s. I like the super/nova better. I see it as a little better refined version of the 870 and damn near indestructible.

No clue on the bps besides a couple old beat to shit versions I've seen.

Guys like Mossberg, I've only shot them a bit. Them vs 870 is more of a preference thing I think. Safety location, action feel, and a few small parts repair are the only real differences and both have pros and cons that are mostly about your feelings.

Nice to hear my SuperNova called “high tier” lol, she’s gonna be lording it over my budget-tier O/U for weeks now

Reactions: RTH1800 and hlee
Nice to hear my SuperNova called “high tier” lol, she’s gonna be lording it over my budget-tier O/U for weeks now
Yeah, I wouldn’t put any of the 3 in the high-tier area. I mean, they’re not mossberg, but…

I don't think there is such a thing as a "top" tier pump action. they're utility tools, meant to do a down and dirty job.
This is probably the most truthful statement I have seen. I have had several different brands of shotguns and the pumps just grind it out all day long. Not sexy to be sure, but durable and reliable. Most of the time any issues I have seen come from crappy ammo.

3.5” shells suck to shoot out of a pump shotgun. Headache maker. Even in autos I shoot nothing larger than 3”. I had some old 2 3/4 BB shot shells that I found and took goose hunting. After that and being successful, I stick to 3” shells. Save $5 or so a box and kill birds the same as the 3.5”. I patterned a few loads on paper and the 3.5” shells were the worst of the bunch. More shot in the shell, but less shot on target.

Reactions: RTH1800
No Brazil/ Turkish trash
Ummm…

I believe the only few shotguns made by Mossberg in Turkey are semis and O/U.

Last edited:
Reactions: stanley_white
Literally can't think of any open to suggestions don't want anything Turkish
I think you're a fool for not looking at a TriStar.
It is every loaner shotgun we use at the hunting lodge.
Never seen one fail, ever.
Seen plenty of Benelli, Browning, Wby (Maruko and German), Remmy, Winnie.....even Blaser fail.
Those cheap Turkish guns keep on plugging along.

Another thing that you don't want to hear.
We have always shot further with the 28ga guns.
I honestly have no idea why, but a 75 yard shot on a fast flying quail...you have zero chance with a 12ga, but a 28 will knock it down every time.

Last edited:
none the m3 convertible for a pump / semi auto the best of both worlds .

Literally can't think of any open to suggestions don't want anything Turkish

Nils Johnasson has won two USPSA national championships and a whole shitload of state and area titles with a "Turkish trash" pistol.

The Turks, like anyone else, will make whatever you want to your budget.

Including these http://vicemyachts.com/

Last edited:
I think you're a fool for not looking at a TriStar.
It is every loaner shotgun we use at the hunting lodge.
Never seen one fail, ever.
Seen plenty of Benelli, Browning, Wby (Maruko and German), Remmy, Winnie.....even Blaser fail.
Those cheap Turkish guns keep on plugging along.

Another thing that you don't want to hear.
We have always shot further with the 28ga guns.
I honestly have no idea why, but a 75 yard shot on a fast flying quail...you have zero chance with a 12ga, but a 28 will knock it down every time.

I seen atleast 3 different Turkish guns fail. I'm just a casual sporting clays shooter, but two were o/u, one was an auto TriStar.

Omg, the youth shooting team coach was gifted a Tristar pump shotgun as a loaner for new shooters that show up unequipped. He gave it to my son to try out during a private. Son said the trigger was hot garbage and gave it back. Tristar? Just say no. I type this as an unabashed Canik fan.

That said, as a more than casual sporting clays shooter, my son says that the gun- in his observation- most likely to malf is a Blaser. Or more precisely, if a gun malfs at a station, odds are it is a Blaser.

SuperNova or an Old 870 Supermag. Don’t knock the 835 Mossy either.

But,

I would NOT ever touch of a 3.5 in a pump, ever ever ever again. A 3.5 turkey load is not fun, at all, to touch off. YMMV

For about the same $$$ you could get a Beretta A300 or Franchi Affinity….

Reactions: lariat
My Nova "tactical" and Super Nova duck gun have both been awesome. Love them both, the comfortech stock on the Super Nova definitely helps tame stout shells.

SuperNova or an Old 870 Supermag. Don’t knock the 835 Mossy either.

But,

I would NOT ever touch of a 3.5 in a pump, ever ever ever again. A 3.5 turkey load is not fun, at all, to touch off. YMMV

For about the same $$$ you could get a Beretta A300 or Franchi Affinity….
Have a affinity love it but it hates small loads

I'm not being a jerk saying this, but you obviously have no clue about the history of the Turks and making shotguns.

It's pretty hard to fuck up a pump shotgun, even most the cheap ones run fine.

New 870s are trash, love the old ones, especially the older wingmasters. My first gen Nova is meh. Bought it with my 4H $ because it shot 3.5”s. That was dumb but I was 12. There aren’t any good 870s that shoot 3.5”s, they went to shit before 3.5” shells became a thing. Only BPSs I’ve handled weren’t great. Not a Mossy fan but guys love em for a reason. I’d say to find an old 870 and shoot 3” shells.

New 870s are trash, love the old ones, especially the older wingmasters. My first gen Nova is meh. Bought it with my 4H $ because it shot 3.5”s. That was dumb but I was 12. There aren’t any good 870s that shoot 3.5”s, they went to shit before 3.5” shells became a thing. Only BPSs I’ve handled weren’t great. Not a Mossy fan but guys love em for a reason. I’d say to find an old 870 and shoot 3” shells.
Hard to beat a wingmaster for a couple hundred bucks.

Reactions: FWoo45
Hard to beat a wingmaster for a couple hundred bucks.
If you know where there are $200 wingmasters, let me know. My old man paid that for a 20ga that was pulled out of the river 25 years ago. I don’t believe the story as it is in great shape but I know I can’t find em for that and I’ve bought a couple for various reasons over the last few years.

Reactions: flyfisher117
Winchester 1300 is a better gun than the 870.

My vote goes for the benelli. they're well built and reliable. I don't think there is such a thing as a "top" tier pump action. they're utility tools, meant to do a down and dirty job. And the super nova does that job very well.
I mean pretty much not turkish trash exept Winchester or mossberg