Best hot weather full face motorcycle helmet?

david walter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
TriCities, WA
Not sure where to ask this.

I’ll be riding to Las Vegas in June. Anything both cool and protective?

Bike is a 2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT.

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
Banned !
Nov 22, 2012
Kicking Ass Somewhere
I always wondered who bought these DTC motorcycles?

KILM gear and KRIOS helmet if you are going off road. Klim pants and Alpinstars adventure boots with Krios helmet,, if you are looking to add blue tooth go to the Cardo site and pick out your helmet from the list they have with the com system you plan to get. I ride 25-35 k miles per year, in very hot and very cold weather., dirt/adventure/harley/ r6 small sport bike, s1000rr big sport bike, road racing, track tracing , enduro racing, single track racing, and just frikken running from the cops racing, this is my gear, put your plate on a rubber hinge.

Last edited:

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    This is what I use/used, and believe me, it was VERY EFFECTIVE when I was all-the-sudden riding through hail. The helmet is highly recommended.
    The hail, not-so-much.

There are open-able and close-able vents front and back, that allows you to control the amount of airflow through the helmet. It looked hot and bulky at first, but it was actually comfortable on the highways.

The added 'automatic sunshade' that is inside makes it REALLY nice to use.

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
    Banned !
    Nov 22, 2012
    Kicking Ass Somewhere
    get the Klim or a Bell with the transitions shield, you wont be sorry, buy a white or light color that will keep you mostly as cool as you will get... and dont be a pussy, just hydrate a lot,,, I have klim back pack with hydro I will donate to you. PM your addy, spend the money on gortex pants with crash pads and good boots.

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    Yes, that too. Good one AJ, for riders REALLY need to use good riding gear. Mine is First Gear, which is also VERY well vented and adjustable.

Remember, "function" over 'fashion'. There's a difference.

softcock

novice judgmental prick
    Commercial Supporter
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    Yes hydrate a LOT .
    Taken that trip a few times on a Bike to Vegas and into AZ. from OR. . You are loosing a lot of water going down Hwy. to Vegas and South in the mid of summer . 100+ deg. moving down the Hwy. you are dry as a bone and you evaporating sweat faster than you think .
    You can cruse at Nighttime, go a little slower and be cooler . It can get hot, Remember one time was 115 deg. when pulling into Bullhead AZ. .

Good vented helmet and zip-open venting on your jacket .

david walter

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 22, 2007
    TriCities, WA
    I have a Schuberth E1 helmet. I’m wondering if there is something cooler. It’s white and red to match the bike.

I had a Harley for 10+ years and like the AT DCT a lot more.

Hound Dog

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 17, 2018
    Foley Al.
    I like the ARAI Signet-X, has plenty of vents. It is the only full face helmet I own any more for the street, have never seen a Schuberth so no way of comparing it.

Reactions: LeftyJason

corey4

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Feb 11, 2012
    pittsburgh pa
    ive always been leary of the flipup helmets. what happens when you eat shit and land face first?

I wear Arai because that's what fits me the best and they crash really well. I am the the poster child for $900 helmet for a $9 head.

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    That's an interesting helmet

Is it approved for the streets or just snow?

These are DOT approved, as well as mine came with two separate visor-windows. A single-pane for summer riding as well as a 'dual-pane' for winter use.
    I don't use the winter one though, with putting the chains on the tires I can't get up to speed near as fast. So I don't bother. ;)

The one thing the guy didn't talk about in the video were the 'openable' and 'closeable' vents to control the airflow through the helmet. That ventilation is nice.

Scott037

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Mar 13, 2017
    Coos bay, Oregon
    I know it's a dirt scooter helmet but I love the fox v3 and v4 helmets I could feel air flow. 30 or 45 minutes in to a hour race in 80 degree heat it was nice

jim996

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 10, 2018
    I’m using Bell carbon lids now. Lightweight, lots of vents and a really wide field of vision so they don’t feel claustrophobic.

I used to wear Arai but I think the Arais are due some modernisation.

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    Sean the Nailer

Have you worn it in warm weather?
    In the summer of '05 I wore it to Princeton MN, Sturgis SD, and all through Western Canada. Is it warmer than a 'skull cap' yes, but is it like wearing a skidoo suit in summer, no. As stated, the air vents worked well for me. Add to that the hail-storms that came out of no-where helped me out. And when it rains, well,,,, there's nothing better than a full-face for when it's raining.

Unless you're one of those riders who stops, and hides under a tree during a rainstorm. I rode past MANY of them around Sturgis, Deadwood, and (that other city I forget it's name) back then. Couldn't believe the amount of sugar-cubes hiding under any/all cover they could find. I just putted on by....