• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best how to on mounting a scope?

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
I'm sure I'm opening up a can of worms here but I'm just looking for the best how-to on mounting a scope. Sure, I've done it myself in my kitchen with little to no tools and eyeballed it and it's been good out to 500 yards but... what's the CORRECT way to get it done?

Don’t over complicate it:

Generally, follow MFG recommendations for torque settings.

*I like to put a level on the rifle, then plumb my scope to a plumb Bob 60-100m away, I torque my scope down when my gun is level and the scope has been rotated to plumb.

You don’t have to have a level on the rifle, I personally do not shoot with the rifle canted which I think some people do. Which means if they’re knowledgeable, their rifle is canted to their liking, but the scope is plumb.

I would add a level to the scope, it’s a quick reference that you’re plumb before taking a shot. You simply have your scope torqued down then hold it plumb, set your level and tighten it. But levels on scopes are a controversial topic on the hide so dig around and you can read the counter arguments.. this is what I do though.

Finally it’s worth mentioning, it doesn’t matter if you use a actual plumb Bob deal or something you know is level. I’ve leveled scopes using buildings, I Beams, anything I was relatively certain was plumb with my center line.

Hope this helps there has to be a lot of threads on this topic if you dig around a little.

Last edited:
I use this method but with a plumb line using sewing thread vs line on the wall.

Last edited:
I have done it a few different ways, but my favorite is the Arisaka optic leveler. You need a pic rail for it to work properly, but it makes the bottom of the scope square to the top of the pic rail. The flat on the bottom of the scope is what the adjustments are square to. Takes about 15 seconds to do. Next method is wheeler professional scope leveling system and plumb bob. Get the gun level with the levels and the compare the scope to the plumb bob. A fun trick too is to shine a flash light down the objective and project the reticle on a wall where the plumb bob is. It’s easier to align the scope with the plumb bob this way since it’s a bigger image.

Reactions: Stukral68