• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Howa short action Pic rail?

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2018
    South Texas
    I just bought a good tier 2 scope (Sightron SVSS ED) and an MDT unimount to put on my Howa SA. A 20 MOA rail with a recoil lug are the required specs. I have a Burris 25 MOA rail that's worked fine so far, but seems like it may be the weak link now. Is there a substantially better quality pic rail (w/ recoil lug) any of you Howa shooters are using?

The MDT 20MOA rail has a recoil lug. I have a couple of them on my rifles and they do the job fine
    IMG20200326175222_resize_56.jpg
    IMG20200326172942_resize_3.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: rhsc
    I use a Burris 25 moa rail. It has a recoil lug and has served me well so far. Its also a steel rail, if that makes a difference to you.

I can't recall if mine has a recoil lug or not. However, I decided to go with NF. They are known for durability and quality.

If you truly want the best of the best, go Murphy Precision, Ken Farrel, or Near...

I wasn't aware that MDT made a rail for the Howa, so that's what I'll go with since I already have their unimount. Thanks for the suggestions!

I just bought a good tier 2 scope (Sightron SVSS ED) and an MDT unimount to put on my Howa SA. A 20 MOA rail with a recoil lug are the required specs. I have a Burris 25 MOA rail that's worked fine so far, but seems like it may be the weak link now. Is there a substantially better quality pic rail (w/ recoil lug) any of you Howa shooters are using?
    Where did you end up getting your scope from?

From the optics PX here on the Hide. If you are looking for a new scope, a few of the vendors here sell the brand.