• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best humidity for gun safe?

gmphk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I have purchased a larger gun safe and could not put it in the house (72X41X27). It is in the garage (which I did not want to do by the way). I live in south Texas which is hot and humid for several months out of the year. I have a EVA Dry 500 and a 12 inch Golden Rod inside to try and curve any issues that could become a problem. I opened the safe tonight and the temp was 70 degrees (57 degrees outside according to my truck's temp gauge) and the humidity percentage was 31% and dropped to 27% after being open for about 3 minutes. From what I have read this is too low and could cause problems for wood stocks like I have on my hunting rifles. Anyone have any comments or any suggestions?

Re: Best humidity for gun safe?

One thought that comes from a lesson in wine and dried-out corks...take a sponge, soak it, insert into a tupperware bowl with small amount of water in it, slide bowl onto shelf inside wine fridge...check it once a month to re-wet as needed...

This gives "internal humidity" for lack of a better term inside the wine fridge as to not dry out the corks...

Again, just a thought...maybe a dumbass thought for weapons inside a safe however but a thought nonetheless...

I don't know what humidity level you are looking for but there are some humidity control packs for cigar humidors available. They are designed to keep the humidity level at 65 to 72%. Boveda has different levels of humidity control available.

The wood should be sealed to an extent if finished right. Your issue here is interesting to me so I researched it. One source claimed gun museums prefer 30-40%. Another suggestion was to loosen the action bolts if storing for long periods, and another mentioned the most serious matter is changing temperatures causing condensation. I suggest storing guns with a coat of oil in the bores, or even grease, being certain to remove it before firing.

Thanks for the responses. With that low a humidity level I am not concerned about any metal or plastic, just wooden stocks and grip panels. I plan to re-oil the rifle stocks in the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any suggestions on what brand to use?

Not sure what the wood needs, but if you can keep RH 35% or less it will greatly reduce, if not eliminate, corrosion of the metal

My thoughts would be that 35% is going a bit too dry for wood. I try to keep my stuff at about 50% and that seems to work well for both wood and metal. No rust and have yet to notice any stock drying. Just not easy to keep it level here in the south though.