• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best inch pound torque wrench

bodhisafa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Took delivery of my new custom PRS rig and need a good/reliable/accurate inch pound torque wrench to tighten down scope/rails..etc.

Any recommendations?

Reactions: jp_over
I have used a Fat Wrench for years and never any issues, also have a 1/4" drive click type conventional I use when possible.
The fix it sticks set that XLR sells I've been eyeing for a while now and may pick one up.

Go with the regular fat wrench, not the digital. Just another thing to go wrong. Mine just went haywire, now I'm going to go buy the less expensive model that doesn't beep uncontrollably at me for whatever reason. Not to mention, it doesn't stop when you get to your required torque, you have to tighten very slowly to make sure you're accurate.

Reactions: Macman25
I originally bought the digital fat wrench, stopped working after a couple months.
Took a chance on the regular one and have used it for a couple years with no problems.
Just when done loosen or turn the pounds down to zero, helps with preserving
the spring life.

Reactions: HMRamateur
Not the best BUTT!!! the Wheeler is not even in the same ballpark:
28410__37271.1560541264.jpg

Not the best BUTT!!! the Wheeler is not even in the same ballpark:
28410__37271.1560541264.jpg
Not the best? What's better? If we're going off price point, how much more can you get for this price? This is twice the price of the wheeler

+1 on the Wheeler Fat Wrench (non-digital). I’ve had mine for years as well. I use it quite a bit. Works great.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I have a Fat Wrench, which has served me well, but like 99.8% of the folks on here I have no way to test its accuracy. Considering the range that most ring, scope, action manufacturers give for torque I figure it is close enough.

I have a wheeler fat digital and fix it sticks. The fix it sticks are the only thing that gets used anymore. I have a lot more confidence hitting the correct torque value with it. I also have a 1/4” drive torque wrench as well which works great but not sure how calibrated it is a the low settings I most commonly use.

I have a Fat Wrench, which has served me well, but like 99.8% of the folks on here I have no way to test its accuracy. Considering the range that most ring, scope, action manufacturers give for torque I figure it is close enough.
Take it to any instrument shop to get calibrated if you're unsure. But like you said, there's wiggle room so even if it's off a bit, you're good

ditto fix it sticks unless you really want 18 in/lbs and not 20 in/lbs (an available off the shelf stick).
not sure if you can special order specific torque specs. they do make them because my FN field kit came with a 62 in/lbs stick for the Scar.

Reactions: Longshot231
Best means a lot of things depending on who you ask. For micrometer style, I'd suggest Precision Instruments. http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/genPage.php?type=M&drive=1

Their split beam click wrenches are amazing. No need to torque down before storage. Their micrometer are excellent as well, and hold calibration a long time as long as you torque them down to minimum after use. I've got almost everything they make and have given away all of my other brands to include some very expensive digital models.

Snap-On is very good, but expensive. I have always had good luck with them & I check the calibration every year or so, but that is for my day job. I am a big fan of the Borka system for my firearms related jobs...

Reactions: Cornerstonearmory
I like my Wheeler Fat Wrench but I have been eyeing Fix it Sticks

I've used a Wheeler for a while, now. Everything from action screws to rings. It works, but I'm looking into Fix It sticks. Nothing wrong with my Wheeler, but I like new toys.

The best for me depends where I am........

In the field, always in my range bag, with multiple capabilities - a Borka tool kit.

At home with the rifle in a vice - Seekonk or Snap On.

You never buy just one of anything Bernie Bro.

Last edited:
Fixit has a new "multi torque" kit that just came out. I got a set delivered earlier this week. Seems perfect to drop in a pack.

The website says "pre order", but I received my set ~10 days after ordering.

Reactions: Longshot231
Fixit has a new "multi torque" kit that just came out. I got a set delivered earlier this week. Seems perfect to drop in a pack.

The website says "pre order", but I received my set ~10 days after ordering.
thanks...you just cost me money

does it index to the numbers shown 15/25/35/45/65, or can you do inbetween values like 20?

Reactions: Lthrt

does it index to the numbers shown 15/25/35/45/65, or can you do inbetween values like 20?

I'm pretty sure you can order custom limiters from them. Not sure as to lead time, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Had the same question. If so it’ll replace my Wheeler which doesn’t reach 65.
(My guess is it operates similar to the Wheeler)

Best means a lot of things depending on who you ask. For micrometer style, I'd suggest Precision Instruments. http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/genPage.php?type=M&drive=1

Their split beam click wrenches are amazing. No need to torque down before storage. Their micrometer are excellent as well, and hold calibration a long time as long as you torque them down to minimum after use. I've got almost everything they make and have given away all of my other brands to include some very expensive digital models.

PI split beam ft/lbs is what I have for the heavy stuff.
I have no idea of why I never checked PI out for in/lbs tools. Luvzmesum PI tools.

Last edited:

Not sure. I’ve been swamped this week and haven’t had a chance to really mess with it. All I’ve done so far is use it to set a bolt to x in/lb and then test against a Fat Wrench. Seems to be accurate enough for me with that limited test.

I've always had good luck with CDI; no affiliation with them or the seller but here's a great place to buy them.

Had the same question. If so it’ll replace my Wheeler which doesn’t reach 65.
(My guess is it operates similar to the Wheeler)

It does not operate like the Wheeler. There is no “click” when you reach desired torque, the driver just kinda slips

I have and use my Vortex brand wrench,, 10-50 inch pounds. Works fine for the seekin rings and pic rails I've mounted so far.

I used a Fat Wrench for years and it worked fine so don't think you have to pay a lot of money, but now I use fix it stick and they are super easy and convenient to carry in my pack but if you have the cash, Borka, that is what I'm going to get at some point.

It does not operate like the Wheeler. There is no “click” when you reach desired torque, the driver just kinda slips

At least on the one I have, it just turns, no clicks. Can you set the All-In-One between 15 & 25 for a 20 setting?

1565357098744.png

Have a CDI like the one above. Think the most important thing is using with the same tool everytime

I believe FixItSticks (FIS) All-in-one torque driver can not be actually PRESET like other FIS torque limiters. I've not had a chance to evaluate it personally, but from description on FIS website, it seems to work exactly like Silca Ti-Torque kit for bicycle maintenace.

The way Silca works is as follows:

user applies the torque while watching the scale carefully. When scale mark (line) aligns with desired torque mark, say, 25 or 45 inch-lbs., user should stop applying torque...

I hope FIS rep will post here and explain principle of operation in more detail.

Last edited:
Fat Wrench for the shop, Fix-It-Sticks for the range bag.... Ive been using the FIS kit with individual torque limiters for a few years. I got on their pre-order for the new All In One FIS torque limiter which just arrived yesterday... Havent tested it out yet.

I'm pretty sure you can order custom limiters from them. Not sure as to lead time, but it shouldn't be too bad.

At the moment, Borka Tools is the only source for custom precision torque limiter (PTL) kits both for individuals and OEMs. Fix It Sticks can certainly offer custom kits for OEMs, but they do not yet publicly offer custom kits for individuals, at least on their website. Borka prices for custom kits are the same as for the standard (off-the shelf) kits, lead time is no more than 3 business days.

I have multiple custom kits I ordered from Fix-It-Sticks with the attachments and torque limiters I wanted. Been using it for years.

The new AIO torque limiter is not set. You turn it till it hits the torque you want and then it springs back to 0. The individual torque limiters are different. Those you turn and it automatically free spins when you hit the torque for that specific torque limiter