• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best long range 30-06 bullet

Slothgunner

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2021
California
Just 30-06 loads
I’m just getting into long range shooting and I was hoping for some help. I have a 24” barrel with a 1:10 twist. Just wanting to work up some good loads and was hoping to be pointed in the right direction. ie bullet grain and type, type of powder and primer.
thanks in advance

Reactions: Lite
What types of powder, primers and projectiles do you currently have in your possession?

Someone posted 210 and 215 Bergers at a reasonable price but I forget where they were at.

Take a look or do a search on some old threads by MontanaMarine. Seems like 208 Amax and RL-22 was a good combination.

Reactions: Leatherlunger
I'd think the 190 to 220 range in Sierra or Berger, but the AMAX does great also. Soory, not much help, I shoot .308 and 5.56.

I can try to send some of German Salazar's articles on 1k load development if you'd like.

Reactions: Leatherlunger
Between montana marine’s posts and german salazars articles, that was the foundation i used when I was figuring out an ‘06 i had years ago. Cant remember my recipes back then, but 200/215 hybrids worked really well in mine. Wish i still had it. My favorite 30 caliber cartridge of all time.

Reactions: stello1001
You will find great performance with 190-210 bullets with high ballistic coefficients. You want to be looking for velocities above 2700 fps. Most situations, you are not going to get to 2900 fps without seeing pressure signs.
One of the reasons I asked about what components you have on hand is reflected by @powdahound76, there just really isn't much of anything available right now unless you are willing to sell the blood of your first born, your left nut and accept an indecent proposal involving your wife. Most folks think this will be the case for another 2 years or maybe more. Primers are especially hard to come by as the ammunition companies get first dibs and reloaders only get any over-run that those guys didn't buy.

These are available and at a fair price. If you are interested, I would buy as many as possible right now. They will be gone next time you look.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
Crazy question, but what is your goal for maximum target range? If your intended range is 600 yards, you will be better with the 168 or 180 grain range for a bit flatter shooting combo. Even out to 1000 yards, the 180 range will work ok, you will just have more wind drift. How much elevation travel do you have in your scope? 30-06 is nota super flat cartridge, so you will need a bit of travel to really reach out.

Unless he has a 28 OR 30 inch tube. Then it might work.

Try the 175 SMK. Has worked to 1k out of the 308 for a couple weeks now.... Unless you are the Army. Then it stops suddenly at 800 😂

Reactions: GhostFace
be curious what rl-26 and 208gr eld-m would do.

bet it would beat most factory 300 win mag ammo

I’d look at the 200.2X or 205 hybrid and try some of the newer “fast” powders. RL26, N565, N555 etc. Assuming you have LR primers.

What coal can you load to might be the first question to answer in all honesty then go from there.