• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best low-power AR scope

patriot07

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2017
Dallas
Looking for a 1-6, 1-8, 2-10 type scope for my Ruger AR. What is the best AR scope in the lower price ranges. Would like a mil reticle I could use for running out to 200-400 yards if possible. Would prefer to be at $250 or less.

In my opinion at that price range it will all be chinese/philippine shit. Roll the dice, pick one, and cross your fingers that it will last.

Reactions: Sainte70
Save up, get an ACOG off Ebay for about $700 or so. It'll still have the warranty, so if it looks good in the pictures but somehow comes messed up, just call Trijicon and get a return form.

$250 will get you a nice Badger mount for a good scope. But there aren't any good optics, even used, for that price.

You don't wanna cheap out now. Get at least a good optic for it, and an ACOG in .308 will be perfect for 200-400 and good for a ways past that. And the ACOG will come with it's own mount. And they're great scopes for what they do.

Weaver Grandslam tactical at Natchez shooters supply.
Mueller TAC II although it is mil/moa

Both are quality Japanese made scopes.

Reactions: Trav_man
I think the Strike Eagle and Primary Arms which is a rebranded Strike Eagle with PA's reticle are your only choices for $250.

Reactions: Two Mikes
Athlon Argos BTR 1-4 maybe?

Actually there is a pretty damn good deal that just came out on 3-9 Mark AR illuminated mil-hash reticle with mil turret for $299. They're not bad optically but I can't vouch for the reproducibility of the turrets. But the reticle is decent. I am going to get one. Worst case scenario it ends up on a 22LR. The sale isnt everywhere you have to look around.

Burris RT6 can usually find them on sale for $300

This^.

They are easily found new around $280 if you search by UPC Code: 000381004727. Midway also has refurb models for $269.99. It's a decent starter LPVO that easily outclasses the Strike Eagle or PA or other Optisan options. The build quality seems as good if not better than the Gen II PST 1-6. The glass isn't quite as good, but it is several hundred less expensive.

Reactions: Skpcarey
I have a Strike Eagle 1-8 I picked up on sale for $325. It gets the job done for my purposes but it's first on the list for replacement for a PST or NF.

Reactions: maverickasu
Save up, get an ACOG off Ebay for about $700 or so. It'll still have the warranty, so if it looks good in the pictures but somehow comes messed up, just call Trijicon and get a return form.

$250 will get you a nice Badger mount for a good scope. But there aren't any good optics, even used, for that price.

You don't wanna cheap out now. Get at least a good optic for it, and an ACOG in .308 will be perfect for 200-400 and good for a ways past that. And the ACOG will come with it's own mount. And they're great scopes for what they do.
It’s going on a $400 rifle that I hardly ever shoot. I know I’m not going to get variable power and reliable turrets at that price, which is why I asked for a mil reticle.

I’ve never spent anywhere near $250 for a mount even for my bolt gun that I shoot all the time to 1k+....

I have a Strike Eagle 1-8 I picked up on sale for $325. It gets the job done for my purposes but it's first on the list for replacement for a PST or NF.
Thanks. I had heard good stuff about these. I’m sure it’d be fine for my uses if I could find one on the cheap.

This^.

They are easily found new around $280 if you search by UPC Code: 000381004727. Midway also has refurb models for $269.99. It's a decent starter LPVO that easily outclasses the Strike Eagle or PA or other Optisan options. The build quality seems as good if not better than the Gen II PST 1-6. The glass isn't quite as good, but it is several hundred less expensive.
Never heard of it. I’ll check it out, thanks!

It’s going on a $400 rifle that I hardly ever shoot. I know I’m not going to get variable power and reliable turrets at that price, which is why I asked for a mil reticle.

I’ve never spent anywhere near $250 for a mount even for my bolt gun that I shoot all the time to 1k+....

I know where you’re coming from, but I think @Strykervet is right. We live in a world of reliable $400 rifles. We do not live in a world where the same price range in optics gets you commensurate performance. I think buying cheap optics new is a poor strategy (used is better).

It’s not just reliable turrets that you are losing, it’s eyebox, FOV, durability and useability at low mag.

I strongly suggest either of these three strategies:

1) look for a used scope on your local armslist. Lots of people sell a rifle with scope, message a few and see if they’ll part with just the scope. You’ll save a lot of money.

2) save for a used professional quality scope that can move across rifles and stay in your safe. Like a Razor Gen2 or ACOG.

3) spend $400 and put an Aimpoint on it. It’s not a LPV, but you get quality and a complete setup that is actually useful and rugged.

Lots of people have done what you are thinking, it’s a popular, easy route to just buy a cheap LPV but it’s suboptimal.

I know where you’re coming from, but I think @Strykervet is right. We live in a world of reliable $400 rifles. We do not live in a world where the same price range in optics gets you commensurate performance. I think buying cheap optics new is a poor strategy (used is better).

It’s not just reliable turrets that you are losing, it’s eyebox, FOV, durability and useability at low mag.

I strongly suggest either of these three strategies:

1) look for a used scope on your local armslist. Lots of people sell a rifle with scope, message a few and see if they’ll part with just the scope. You’ll save a lot of money.

2) save for a used professional quality scope that can move across rifles and stay in your safe. Like a Razor Gen2 or ACOG.

3) spend $400 and put an Aimpoint on it. It’s not a LPV, but you get quality and a complete setup that is actually useful and rugged.

Lots of people have done what you are thinking, it’s a popular, easy route to just buy a cheap LPV but it’s suboptimal.
Suboptimal is exactly what I’m looking for.

I might just put my Bushnell AR223 3-9x40 on there if there isn’t a decent <$250 option. I love that scope for the money. If I could buy another for $99 like I paid for the first one, I’d just do that.

I like good scopes, but I only shoot my AR a couple times a year. I use bulk reloaded dirt cheap Ammo and shoot at big steel targets. I just want something better than iron sights. Anything $300+ is completely out of the question. But I am definitely open to used from a decent brand.

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 is my go to for AR15. Watch for them to go on sale or find one on eBay and you can be within your budget.

Reactions: patriot07
If you want a 1-6x scope, the cheapest I would go is Burris RT-6.

If you want a 1-8x, viable options start at around $1k, in my opinion. That may change after next SHOT, but for now, that's where we are.

If you want something in the 3-9x40 range or thereabouts, there are few options out there, none one of them hugely impressive.

Whichever way you go, get a scope that allows holdover and wind using a reticle. This is not a price range where I would want to be twisting turrets too much.

If you do want to do some turret twisting, Black Friday sale is coming up and you can pick up SWFA SS 6x42 there. It is usually a bit under $300 for Black Friday.

Also, I expect SWFA to get the BDC reticle version of their 2.5-10x32 Ultralight in time for Black Friday. I will probably be a touch over your budget, but it is an exceedingly nice scope for a lightweight AR and the BDC reticle works very well with 55gr plinking ammo.

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2317

ILya