• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best LR cartridge for an AR platform.

Center Mass

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2008
Pa
Hey guys,

I have a DPMS LR308 that I like a lot. But, I can't help but think that there must be a better cartridge that I could use. Don't get me wrong, I love the .308. I have owned several and still do I'm just looking for a better performer on a semi-auto platform.

I'm thinking something along the lines a a 6.5x284, .243, 6.5 Creedmore, or maybe something in a 7mm

I would like it to have excellent performance out to 1000yds. The same bolt face would be a plus but not mandatory.

Any idea's??

CM.

Re: Best LR cartridge for an AR platform.

I'm debating on doing a .260 or 6.5 CM on mine. Buddy of mine has a 24" barreled .260 that hammers.

I think that the 260 or 7-08 would be great choices as would the 243 or 6x47 Lapua , may need a bit more barrel to get all the good out of those two tough.

Their are some companies making uppers for the AR-10's based on the WSM and short ultra mag cases , a 300WSM would be a real bad ass AR as would the 7WSM , not sure how well these run though.

Me personaly I'd use a 26" barreled 260 with 140g Bergers , I've shot them out past 1000tds several time from a bolt gun with stelar results. I still just like the 308 , I know it inside and out the ammo is easy on the gun with good barrel life.

I thought I saw some WSM and WSSM but I wasn't sure. It seems like feeding those fat casings would lead to cycling problems.

I recently built a 7WSM and it's an ass kicker, I would love to have one on a AR, and I'll already have most of the reloading stuff for it.

I'm kinda liking the look of the .243. Seems like it would be a pretty simple conversion.

Ballistics seem really good and the components are abundant. I'm not sure if I want to get into another barrel burnin magnum right now. This seems like a pretty nice compromise.

Still gotta check out the 6.5 CM yet though.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

I'd just stick with the .308, but if you feel compelled to find something else try calling SSK Ind. They make some pretty powerful AR-10's.