• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best M1 SOCOM stock upgrade

Rancid Coolaid

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2007
    Houston, TX.
    The out-of-the-box Springfield Armory SOCOM stock sucks.

I need to upgrade the stock. I would like to mount a 1-4 scope on the rifle, but my rail ends just before the ejection port (not the newer "full-length" rail) and I don't want a scout scope.

I'm considering a Vltor stock - but that leaves me with the need for a rail - or maybe a Fulton chassis, which takes care of the rail.

Anyone wish to share their experiences with either the Troy or the Vltor - or any other option I have not yet considered?

Re: Best M1 SOCOM stock upgrade

Not my personal experiences but my buddy has a socom and he put the vltor emod on his and loves it. Looks pretty wicked as well

LAW483.com M14 MCS from TROY

One of the best looking SOCOM's I've seen was one a buddy put in a factory walnut stock. Granted it doesn't have the rails to add all the bells and whistles to but IMO it looks great in the wood.

I just got a Troy Industries SOPMOD (full system) from Fulton Armory. I am still waiting on the SOCOM 16 to arrive.

I have already equipped the chassis with Aimpoint CompM3, Larue QD mount, Fulton Armory flip up front/rear sights, vertical grip, Streamlight LED/Laser with pressure pad, and a Harris Bipod.

The system feels good but I won't be able to evaluate the performance until I drop the 16 into it. Let me know if you want pics of it.

Edit: Almost forgot. Manners just came up with a prototype stock system for the M1A. It's geared more toward longer ranges than the Troy. In my opinion that stock looks badass and I will probably buy one of those for the M1A Loaded that I'm also waiting for.

If it were mine I would go one of two different ways with this, either get the Troy chassis or the Sage CQB if you must have a pistol grip and an extendable/adjustable buttstock or just use a GI fiberglass stock with the GI buttplate. The later will be much less expensive but will not be much of a change from the SOCOM as it is out of the box. Get rid of the forward mount on the barrel, if you get either the Troy or Sage you will need to take the forward mount off anyway and bear in mind that anything added to one of these rifles forward of the magwell will change the balance of the rifle signifigantly. If you get the Troy then you will be set for a scope mount base, if you get the Sage then you will need the stripper clip base that will allow a ring to be mounted. If you go with the GI stock then you will need to get a mount base for the scope rings, I prefer the ARMS #18 on the M14 receiver but they are not without fault, some rifles don't work well with the ARMS base and will require work to fit to the receiver and possibly some work to make the rifle function with the mount in place. Best part about the ARMS base is that it sits very low and is out of the way if the scope is off the rifle. You might find out after doing all this that the M1A is better without a scope, and wind up taking all the stuff back off the rifle and returning it to it's basic form. That is what happened to mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...if you get the Sage then you will need the stripper clip base that will allow a ring to be mounted.</div></div>

Don't overlook the LT-608 from LaRue when mounting a scope to any SAGE EBR.

LT-608c.jpg

And then there's the Sage Detachable Cantilevered Sight Base (PN: M14DCSB)

Mod_0_09-23-08.jpg

god thats an ugly ass rifle....just my opinion...im sure its a shooter but jesus....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the best looking SOCOM's I've seen was one a buddy put in a factory walnut stock. Granted it doesn't have the rails to add all the bells and whistles to but IMO it looks great in the wood.</div></div>

+1

A beauty contest this ain't.

The Sage did improve the accuracy but is heavy. I found that by moving the stock in a notch or two the balance shifted and works better for me.

IMG_0826.jpg

I do miss the orig. setup though... I wish it was a simple switch.
    IMG_0148.jpg

Buddy's SOCOM in walnut.
    Pic5RIghtSide-FullView.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sage did improve the accuracy but is heavy. I found that by moving the stock in a notch or two the balance shifted and works better for me.

IMG_0826.jpg

I do miss the orig. setup though... I wish it was a simple switch.
    IMG_0148.jpg

</div></div>

I went through the same changes.. my old Scout and my 1st SAGE EBR.

ebrbuild.JPG

The M14ALCS Designated Marksman, M14, EBR Tactical Aluminum Chassis Stock with telescoping butt stock,
    adjustable cheek rest and butt pad pictured above is heavy.

However, the M14ALCS/CV CQB M14, EBR Tactical Aluminum Chassis Stock with M4/M16 style receiver extension
    tube pictured below is more than two pounds lighter than the M14ALCS.

EBRs020407%20004.jpg

The M14ALCS/CV CQB or Mod 1 stock is my favorite... I own three of them.