• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Means to Acheive Cheek Position

Idaho Savage

Sergeant
Minuteman
As mentioned in another thread, I have a new Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in .300 WM with a Vortex Viper scope. The rifle, as some of you might know, comes equipped with an adjustable comb on the stock but it appears hokey to me: Plastic with coarse threaded thumb screws, just begging to get knocked out of whack in the field. Dig it here if you want to see it.

Anyhow, as I continue to learn about shooting rifles and hear about how critical a consistent cheek position is relative to the optics, I am feeling less and less confident in the stock option. A coworker who is an accomplished marksmen suggested layering thin foam on the stock until I have the optimal fit, then wrapping it in tape. As he said, it's not pretty but you know it's not going anywhere and it's cheap. He also mentioned that was his preferred method when he served in Afghanistan and it never failed him.

Short of buying a new stock (don't have the clams and I don't think I know enough yet to know what I want), do you guys have any other suggestions or opinions on his remedy? I don't give a sh#t what my rifle "looks" like. I've seen the cheek pads but they seem prone to movement, too, and some look like they'd get snagged on my pack/brush, etc.

Also note that this is primarily a hunting rifle, not a range rifle in terms of net intention. Sure I will shoot it a ton at the range but at the end of the day, I am training to hunt.

Thanks,

IS

I think your co-worker gave you good advice; yet, remember, if you perceive you will be shooting from a multitude of positions, an adjustable butt, as well as an adjustable comb will permit the butt to be placed in the pocket formed in the shoulder, no matter the position, allowing, of course, that you have the time to make adjustments when changing positions. If you are shooting the rifle from prone position mostly, an adjustable comb and/or butt is not necessary, but, if you do have one and/or the other, the stock can be set high for a really relaxed position with the comb adjusted for the full weight of the head to rest on the stock for a proper eyeball/eyepiece relationship.

Here's what I'd suggest, do exactly what your co-worker said, making the stock work well from prone position. Then, learn how to adapt when forced to shoot from other positions.

Last edited:
Thanks Sterling. I will start with your advice regarding Prone and see how it effects other positions. If my most likely position while hunting is a sitting position, should I use that as default instead?

I don't change the height of the cheek piece or make any adjustments on it between prone, kneeling and standing.

The height should be sufficient to rest the head comfortably in a relaxed position for long periods of time.

So here's what I did: I took pipe insulation (foam tubes) and cut them roughly into thirds. I laid one down on top of the stock, taped it tight, and repeated until I had the perfect height. On the last wrap, I used digi-cam duct tape so it doesn't look that horribly butt ugly.

That said, it appears to be very effective. No matter what position I'm using the rifle, my cheek/eye position is immediately right-on-sight. I'll report back after shooting, with pics.