• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors best method to buy a suppressor

TRG65

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
NM
I'm in a job where I move from state to state every 2 years. What is the best method to "own" a suppressor when you have to move frequently, trust or personally? My concern with personal ownership is what if I get sent to a non-suppressor state. But the concern with the trust is how do you move the trust? What are the recommendations?

Also if there are any recommended shops in the northern Virginia area please let me know.

I'm looking at
419 Maverick
Silencerco switchback
some type of 338 capable (for a 338 win mag hunting rifle)

Thanks

Last edited:
I would go trust 100%.. do you know someone perhaps family or good friend that is in a suppressor friendly state and you trust? Reason I ask is you could do a single shot trust through silencer shop and add as many individuals to it after approval as you want. If you ever get sent to a liberal non cool non suppressor state you can leave the can(s) with said person on your trust (so long as they’re in a suppressor friendly state) while you are in the un-cool state.

if you had the suppressor(s) under individual you’d kind of be hosed. Because according to law only you can be in or have possession of it and now you can’t bring it to your non suppressor friendly liberal state. So what the hell do you do with it now?

SilencerShop is great man, that’s what I use now. It’s super easy. Just look for “powered by” local gun shops on their site that have kiosks. You can get everything done on the kiosk and take a dump at home buying suppressors or drunk on the couch. Ask me how I know.

Reactions: phantasm
I would go trust.
If you form a trust that contains your home address and is not easily changed, that would be a problem. That was my original trust. I moved a few miles and had to buy another to re-state. Now I have to keep my current trust and my original. My current trust lists no home address, and came with paperwork to add and remove responsible persons. With something like that you could add a responsible person you trust not to rip you off, then leave your NFA items with them while you reside in a non-suppressor friendly state.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
I’d go with a trust and have someone you trust (no pun intended) on it with you. That way the cans can stay with them if you can’t use them in your current state. And talk with a lawyer that does trusts and he can help you out much better than trying to go through an online trust site. I did the online and although it was ok I wish I would have spent an extra $100 and went with a local lawyer.

If you’re in VA check out hansohn brothers in culpeper. I’ve bought several cans from them and had a can transferred through there and they have been excellent + very competitive pricing if purchasing from him. Also, there should be a hide member discount code for 10% off.

I used a trust for mine and would recommend the same. As the poster above I also used an online option (built by a TX attorney) and have had no issues, but with specific legal questions in your case it’s always advisable to seek counsel.

I would go trust.
If you form a trust that contains your home address and is not easily changed, that would be a problem. That was my original trust. I moved a few miles and had to buy another to re-state. Now I have to keep my current trust and my original. My current trust lists no home address, and came with paperwork to add and remove responsible persons. With something like that you could add a responsible person you trust not to rip you off, then leave your NFA items with them while you reside in a non-suppressor friendly state.
Thats good advice!

Reactions: Burning sensation
Recommend trust here as well, and I move every 2 years myself (wife is active duty). My trust has my home address on it, granted I can still claim Florida residency based on SCRA, but I've never had issues transferring items to my trust with the out-of-state FL address on there.