• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best middle of the road caliber for North American game

ricard13

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2019
Looking for some opinions and thoughts from everyone here. I have a 6.5 PRC and 338 Lapua that I have setup up for long range hunting . I feel like there is a gap between the two that I could fill. I hunt deer and elk yearly. I am wanting a caliber that has good off the shelf bullet options and, as of now, I’m currently pretty set on a 7mm rem mag.

Basic build specs I have so far:
-Gunwerks CLYMR stock
-Gunwerks GLR action
-Proof 22” barrel

Barrel is a bit on the short side, but will be suppressed 100% of the time.

What other caliber would people suggest? Keep in mind that I want to use factory ammo and would like to run a 22” or so barrel since it will have a can on it. By running a 22” barrel on a 7mm am I just defeating the purpose of the caliber and bring it down closer to 6.5 PRC capabilities?

**Edit. I have 308’s and a 30-06 that I grew up hunting with. My 06 just isn’t setup for long range stuff. It was my first gun and has some nostalgia so I hate to change anything up on it. At the end of the day I just like guns, own way too many guns, and want to own many more guns, hence wanting another caliber/rifle setup.
To clarify, I am also out west and typically most of my shots are 400+

Last edited:
I don’t know that a 7 rem mag is that big of a step up from a 6.5 prc , especially filling the gap between a prc and a lapua. I’d look into a 300 prc, a 28 noser, maybe a Sherman magnum I’m 7mm or 30 cal?

7mm mag is a fine caliber. Maybe it doesn't have the mass of a 300 WM or 300 PRC, but it's a great low recoil round for game.

I'm a 280 AI master race member and typically think of 7mm mag as the stupid big brother of the 280 AI, but it outpaces the capabilities of the 6.5 PRC in terms of usefulness on heavy game. The ability to push a heavy payload really fast is hard to overlook, and the 7mm mag can do that.

Another consideration would be the 300 WM or 300 PRC. Nothing wrong with a 7mm RM, though... just know that you're going to give up some velocity (and make more noise if you have to shoot unsuppressed) with the 22 inch barrel.

7mm mag is a fine caliber. Maybe it doesn't have the mass of a 300 WM or 300 PRC, but it's a great low recoil round for game.

I'm a 280 AI master race member and typically think of 7mm mag as the stupid big brother of the 280 AI, but it outpaces the capabilities of the 6.5 PRC in terms of usefulness on heavy game. The ability to push a heavy payload really fast is hard to overlook, and the 7mm mag can do that.

Another consideration would be the 300 WM or 300 PRC. Nothing wrong with a 7mm RM, though... just know that you're going to give up some velocity (and make more noise if you have to shoot unsuppressed) with the 22 inch barrel.
If I step up to a 300 win or 300 prc then am I even that far off from my 338 Lapua? I love the Lapua, but it is devastating in deer sized animals. Ruins a lot of meat. Only reason i originally picked the 7mm was trying to pick a caliber that was between the 6.5 PRC and Lapua. One that carried a lot of punch on bigger animals, but that that didn’t blow a hole clean through them.

To bridge those gaps.....not 7mm but 358win or 35 whelen. Get within 300yds of anything in NA and hammer it. You have longer ranges covered.

Reactions: Mudmarine
300 wsm vote here. Factory ammo available most anywhere. With a 180 -190 gn bullet I think would be exceptional

Thirds on .30-06. .30-06 AI if you just gotta feel slightly more modern.

With the current high BC .30 heavies for hunting, it’s a good option that handles what you need it to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gtscotty
Another option is 300WSM, can generally find it at any store that sells ammo. Otherwise, I think your father's 30-06 might like a visit in the back of the safe.
Edit - I'm just speaking metaphorically here, I just feel like everybody's dad or granddad had a 30-06.
I grew up hunting with 30-06’s. I still have mine and I use it on horseback hunts. It just has a basic 3-9 scope and isn’t really a long range go-to rifle. That rifle has killed my biggest bulls and bucks to this day.

Reactions: hseII and lash
Aint nothing sexxy bout old ‘06. But it has taken several mountains of game and is very capable of taking several more!!

Reactions: hseII
300 wsm vote here. Factory ammo available most anywhere. With a 180 -190 gn bullet I think would be exceptional
I have considered the 300 wsm as well. I may have to give it a closer look.
30-06 is still Relevant 🔥
Very much so. Mine just isn’t set up for long range. Still use it all the time.
Thirds on .30-06. .30-05 AI if you just gotta feel slightly more modern.

With the current high BC .30 heavies for hunting, it’s a good option that handles what you need it to do.
Agreed. I have a 30-06. I also have an addiction to rifles and so I will always be looking for my next caliber/rifle setup,
I'll always have a 7RM or 300WM for hunting .... would be tough to pick between the two

favorite hunting rifle right now is an 18" 7RM with a custom barrel on a Tikka action suppressed and the suppressor really makes the 7RM a pussycat
I take it you are hand loading. 18” huh... maybe I need to think of going even shorter since it will always be suppressed. I am going to message you.
7 Rem Mag!

If you disagree, I hate you and you’re a moron. If you agree, we can probably be internet friends.
Still leaning that way haha.
I would have never thought that a "middle of the road" caliber would be in between 2 magnum calibers.

I also vote 30-06
I guess I don’t consider the 338 Lapua and 6.5 PRC to even be in the same ball park. The deer I have shot using both calibers would probably agree with that statement as well haha. They both kill good, but the 338 hits them like a freight train. Maybe when I am saying in between I am meaning it bullet weights.

If I step up to a 300 win or 300 prc then am I even that far off from my 338 Lapua? I love the Lapua, but it is devastating in deer sized animals. Ruins a lot of meat. Only reason i originally picked the 7mm was trying to pick a caliber that was between the 6.5 PRC and Lapua. One that carried a lot of punch on bigger animals, but that that didn’t blow a hole clean through them.
.280AI

if you’re suppressing 100% & it’s a bolt gun.

everyone needs a standby standard.

Reactions: Lightning8
With a 22" barrel? 30-06 hands down. This is coming from a 7 mag guy, but my 7 mag has a 28" barrel.

Yeah, the 280AI is definitely the LITTLE brother to the main show

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: hseII
are you planning on reloading? maybe just want yhe comfort of knowing you can find a box in the nearest town if need be? in that case id be looking hard at who makes components...

I have a 7mm rem mag and like it. Im attempting to juice it up a bit this year by feeding it solds. other than being a long action I really dont see a need to change... but i really want a SAUM. I personally believe that should be the next "PRC" to come from hornady.

I say 30-06, grew up shooting my brothers old Remington 760 Gamemaster, it is in my safe and I still use it for hunting sometimes, I love that old rifle. Maybe not the best these days or a real long range rifle but still a great caliber, a lot of the people I hunt with use 30-06 or 308.

A 300wsm on my list. From reading though it may be better to get a custom chamber job and have it throated a little longer

One more .30-06 bandwagoneer here

In general I would consider the 6.5 PRC middle of the road.

If you're just looking for something between that and 338LM I would say 7RM or 300WM

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far. I have nothing against my 30-06 and still use it frequently. I also believe that it is ok to make up all sorts of scenarios that require more guns to be built and/or acquired ;) 6.5 PRC is primarily my wife’s gun. If we are on a hunt together then I need something separate. I have considered picking up a second one for me, but am thinking of something with a bit more punch.

Why not the .300 PRC then? Seems to be in the middle of the 6.5 PRC and the .338 LM.

For shorter barrels I always prefer larger bore diameters. I think 300wsm is a great match for your planned 22” barrel. If you plan to mostly run factory ammo throw it in the short action of your choice, proof barrel, and the carbon Manners you mentioned. Hard for me to imagine a better “do all” hunting rifle.

600+ yd elk takes you firmly into magnum territory. 22" tube puts you in the WSM/SAUM wheelhouse. Off-the-shelf availability kind of decides it for you, you're most likely looking at the 7 or 300 wsm. You'll still give up a velocity, but not as bad as the belted cases.

For shorter barrels I always prefer larger bore diameters. I think 300wsm is a great match for your planned 22” barrel. If you plan to mostly run factory ammo throw it in the short action of your choice, proof barrel, and the carbon Manners you mentioned. Hard for me to imagine a better “do all” hunting rifle.
600+ yd elk takes you firmly into magnum territory. 22" tube puts you in the WSM/SAUM wheelhouse. Off-the-shelf availability kind of decides it for you, you're most likely looking at the 7 or 300 wsm. You'll still give up a velocity, but not as bad as the belted cases.
I’m seeing a lot of suggestion for 300 WSM. I’m thinking I need to look into going this route a bit closer.

Reactions: Eric_F and hseII
If you hand load, 7 Sherman Short Mag with 180 vld between 2930 and 3000 fps out of a supressed 22" barrel. Best hunting 7mm cartridge for efficiency and precision. Its like the 6br for 7mm.

True short action, ballistics to match or beat any other caliber, without unnecessary recoil, adequate terminal velocity for the bullets out to 1000 or more depending on elevation.

I picked it as my one rifle because it is the perfect middle of the pack magnum hunting rifle. 180 grains has the energy, 2900+ has the velocity, the BC is excellent, recoil easily managed in field conditions, barrel life decent, and loading for precision is easy.

I look at other calibers, but they are all so close in performance I don't see how it would bring any benefit.

Obviously the gap between the .338 and 7mm is big, but the 300s don't match the 180 vld without unnecessary penalties in recoil for no practical gain, IMO.

If you don't go wildcat, then a 7mm rem mag shooting the 180 vld is the alternative.

300wsm throated for the 215 bergers. You should see close to 2900 with the suppressor and closer to 3k if you went with a bit more barrel. The other option would be a 7mmprc (based on the 300 not the 6.5) 8tw throated for the 195's

Reactions: ricard13
I love the Lapua, but it is devastating in deer sized animals. Ruins a lot of meat.

I don't agree with this statement. Sounds like you are using the wrong bullet, or trying to shoot through the shoulders. I shoot pronghorn and coyotes with a 338 Norma improved and a 250 Accubond at 3000+. Put it in the boiler room away from the shoulder and you are golden. Meat loss with this bullet is less than a 7 mag shooting Bergers or ELDs.

300 wsm
300 prc
300nm

I’m a big fan of 7RM but don’t think you are gaining much over the 65prc

Internet say
65prc 143 at 2960
7RM 140 at 3110

Not much diffeeence

Reactions: ricard13
6.5 prc is more than enough for elk. North American game? 270win, 270 wsm, 30-06, 300 wsm, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, 7mm saum, 300 saum. Any will get it done on your med to large cervids, perhaps with the exception of moose at long range. I’d want something larger in diameter than 308 for brown bears. And, I think I’d go large bore for bison. But for deer/elk/pig/black bears, any of the above would be more than sufficient, including the 6.5 prc.

I’ve contemplated a 35 Whelen for the funz, but haven’t pulled the trigger.

300 wsm
300 prc
300nm

I’m a big fan of 7RM but don’t think you are gaining much over the 65prc

Internet say
65prc 143 at 2960
7RM 140 at 3110

Not much diffeeence
Advantage of 7mag in a hunting rifle includes ammo availability at pretty much every Walmart (that still carries ammo) and small town hunting shop in the country. Ballistically, you’re probably correct.