• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best mini-red dot for NV use?

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
The choices I think I've heard referenced as being candidates are the Trijicon RMR, SRO, and the Leupold Delta Point NV.

It's going to get mounted on top of a LPVO. I'm worried it'll get banged around which leads me to the RMR, but I've seen several reviewers rate the other two as better performing under NV.

The Holosun 507c has poor light transmission in near IR, to the point where target acquisition through it is difficult without supplemental illum. The RMR and Delta Point Pro are much clearer through NODs, with a slight edge to the DPP.

The RMR is tougher than the DPP, but that may only make a practical difference when it's being banged around on a pistol slide.

A simple cover tied down to your scope can help mitigate some of the scuffing during daytime use. Strike Industries makes the translucent plastic Jellyfish cover for the RMR, and the DPP comes with a silicone cover.

Another consideration is the mount. You'll probably want a 12 o'clock mount. If you have a 34mm tube LPVO, standalone mounts are limited to the Larue LT788-2 for the RMR, or the Reptilia ROF-SAR for the DPP. Spuhr makes an RMR adapter for their scope mounts, and Reptilia makes both DPP and RMR adapters for Geissele Super Precision mounts.

I’ve got an RMR on a G20 and DPP on a G19 - the DPP is fine but I like the RMR better - just seems more bulletproof and I have no problem picking up the dot and using controls when running nods. Just my experiences with pistol use - not sure how that translates to LPVO setup.

Reactions: Milf Dots
The Holosun 507c has poor light transmission in near IR, to the point where target acquisition through it is difficult without supplemental illum. The RMR and Delta Point Pro are much clearer through NODs, with a slight edge to the DPP.

The RMR is tougher than the DPP, but that may only make a practical difference when it's being banged around on a pistol slide.

A simple cover tied down to your scope can help mitigate some of the scuffing during daytime use. Strike Industries makes the translucent plastic Jellyfish cover for the RMR, and the DPP comes with a silicone cover.

Another consideration is the mount. You'll probably want a 12 o'clock mount. If you have a 34mm tube LPVO, standalone mounts are limited to the Larue LT788-2 for the RMR, or the Reptilia ROF-SAR for the DPP. Spuhr makes an RMR adapter for their scope mounts, and Reptilia makes both DPP and RMR adapters for Geissele Super Precision mounts.
I was going to ask this question in another thread but is 12 o'clock preferable for mounting a rds for passive NV use as compared to a 45 degree offset (with regards to use with an LPVO on a carbine)?

I was going to ask this question in another thread but is 12 o'clock preferable for mounting a rds for passive NV use as compared to a 45 degree offset (with regards to use with an LPVO on a carbine)?

45 works fine if it's mounted up high off the scope but is harder to use from awkward positions. 12oclock is a lot more flexible and it's even possible to tilt it over and use your left side tube. The dpp and sro have bigger windows and clearer glass than the rmr but are no where near as durable. They're not super fragile but due to the design they can't be as tough as the rmr. If you can handle them side by side in a store you'll see what I mean.

I have dpp on my spr types but wouldn't recommend on a carbine that's going to get thrown on the floor boards. The reptilia mounts are excellent and they're supposedly going to release the 30mm rmr version soon.

Reactions: dgheriani
You'll probably want a 12 o'clock mount. If you have a 34mm tube LPVO, standalone mounts are limited to the Larue LT788-2 for the RMR, or the Reptilia ROF-SAR for the DPP. Spuhr makes an RMR adapter for their scope mounts, and Reptilia makes both DPP and RMR adapters for Geissele Super Precision mounts.
Badger Condition One also has 12 o’clock mounts for several different popular red dots.