• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best Muzzel Brake for a .308

OverWatch

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
USA
I have done a number of searches for this and came up empty handed. Looking to put a brake on my 18 1/2" barrel Remington 700 SPS. I have no current plan to add a can, but the option is always there. What brakes are doing the best job of cutting down recoil and hopefully allowing faster follow on shots? I have seen a number of short 700's with surefire brakes, is this the industry standard?

Thanks for the help.
OW

Re: Best Muzzel Break for a .308

If you are considering ever putting a can on the gun (although you say you don't have current plans to), I'd look at what can I may want in the future and get the brake that will work with that can. Personally, I'd look at the AAC Brake and the Surefire Brake.

Some of the better can manufacturers actually supply the can with a blank insert at the rear of the can.

This is so the thread internal to the can and at the muzzle of the rifle can be cut absolutely uniform.

Some people want to do the job taking shortcuts or the easy way others make sure their work is perfect!

Supply your gunsmith the can and then there are no excusses for slack thread/missalignment etc.

Just FYI, it's brake like to stop your car, not break like you broke your car
smile.gif

Best brake is likely to be APA Little Bastard.

Handiest brake to remove when you want a can or to hunt with it and not have your ears bleed would probably be RAD Rapid Brake from HateCA here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OverWatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done a number of searches for this and came up empty handed. Looking to put a break on my 18 1/2" barrel Remington 700 SPS. I have no current plan to add a can, but the option is always there. What breaks are doing the best job of cutting down recoil and hopefully allowing faster follow on shots? I have seen a number of short 700's with surefire breaks, is this the industry standard?

Thanks for the help.
OW </div></div>

This!
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1305688&page=1

And here's a little video...
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...473#Post1916473

I have one of the Roedale brakes from germany and its awesome. One of the issues I have had with almost all the brakes out there is that they vent out the side, the gas goes up and down and it always kicks up dirt and dust. This dirt and dust gets all over your scopes in your eyes etc, totally sucks. There is a pic of the brake in this thread:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1323160
I really recommend this one, because it is really efficient, he tested it against most of the other brakes avaliable in a lab type test measuring recoil and the design was tweaked to get the most out of it, the best part is the gases only go up, when i shoot it doesn't kick anything up off the ground, way worth it IMO. Look closely at the picture and you can

CJG

for years many here have used the tubb brake and have won many competitions with it....if that matters along with being able to tune the brake and also have suppressors threaded for them also

Run an APA little bastard brake on my .308 and its great at reducing recoil to nearly nothing! Looks good too... I love it people shooting next to me .. they hate it!

Of those who have used the SureFire and the APA little bastard what is the difference in sounds? I hunt with this rifle and don't want to end my (and anyone else) the day after one shot. It seems the APA get great reviews but are super loud.

Thanks,
OW

My buddies at sniper competitions hate shooting next to my xm-3 / surefire break,,,super loud

Any brake I have been around is loud meaning MUST wear hearing protection. I went to my range one day, got all set up forgot to put my ears on and squeezed one off with my APA brake on.. I went ahead and loaded up and went home, it hurt my ears pretty bad. Wont make that mistake again!!

Surefire is a great brake--I wish cans were mandatory in the US--
I dislike hearing protection--was told that cans are mandatory in Finland because of noise pollution--hate it that u can have 1
in 1 state but not another--guess I better hurry and get back to
my home country of TEXAS

If you are thinking about putting on a suppressor, then I would get a simple thread on brake like a APA, Tubb ect. If you went with a SF brake, then decide to get a suppressor other then SF, then it would look weird to have the barrel contoured for the SF brake when it's not on and run another suppressor. But in terms of reducing recoil, the SF is OK, I think the APA, Tubb, Badger, Ops Inc, or AAC brake does a better job of reducing recoil.

Re: Best Muzzel Brake for a .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of the Roedale brakes from germany and its awesome. One of the issues I have had with almost all the brakes out there is that they vent out the side, the gas goes up and down and it always kicks up dirt and dust. This dirt and dust gets all over your scopes in your eyes etc, totally sucks. There is a pic of the brake in this thread:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1323160
I really recommend this one, because it is really efficient, he tested it against most of the other brakes avaliable in a lab type test measuring recoil and the design was tweaked to get the most out of it, the best part is the gases only go up, when i shoot it doesn't kick anything up off the ground, way worth it IMO. Look closely at the picture and you can

CJG</div></div>

Roedale started out getting his brakes from EBI then decided to rip off the design,...

See other threads on his "customer service" or rather complete lack of it.

The original EBI brakes work a dream and are still available.

Tubb T2K Brake, removes recoil and makes your rifle more accurite, no other brake can do that.

The surefire brakes are nice (I have one on an AR to use the can) but on a bolt gun I would just go with the FTE. Great brake, easy to index and you can easily add any can you want later.

I would probably go with the AAC brake, specifically the 51tooth mount for the suppressor I have on order. But that is just me. I don't know how effective it is though.

If I was you I would get what ever as long as the threading was 5/8x24 so it would be compatable with a suppressor later.

Hollands breaks are very effective. and ops inc's arent bad either.

RWS is a member here that offers a Holland style brake for $40 and has fast service.

223aibrake2.jpg

and a short video.... <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JDB4izCg7YE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JDB4izCg7YE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have many Surefire brakes and I don't think they are that loud compared to some others. My bro has a phantom flash hider that is stupid loud! Then again I'll just throw on my can and all is good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0599.jpg

DSCN0601.jpg

I as would alot of others would LOVE to see a shot video of this brake in action on a .308 caliber 9 lbs rifle. I think that would go ALONG way towards marketing!!! Awesome looking brake. You can just tell alot of enginering went into that!!! Would love to see in action.
These REALLY work.</div></div>

I love the brake RWS made for me. No more recoil from my .308 than a bolt .223
Send him $40, wait 2 days, install.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone think that break looks alittle like the APA fat bastard? </div></div>

Not even close.

I have a surefire brake on my 6.5 and really do like it. The blast is forced out and up so it cuts down on dust signature. It also seems to do a fine job of reducing perceived recoil. I know 6.5 Grendel is a light recoiling round but this rifle has less kick them my colt AR in 223, noticibly less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0599.jpg

DSCN0601.jpg

I as would alot of others would LOVE to see a shot video of this brake in action on a .308 caliber 9 lbs rifle. I think that would go ALONG way towards marketing!!! Awesome looking brake. You can just tell alot of enginering went into that!!! Would love to see in action.
These REALLY work.</div></div> </div></div>

Take a look at the manufacturers website,...they will not however sell to the USA.

+1 on the Tubb T2K brake. Removes recoil and accurate. It's not fir people who want pretty. It does have a jam nut to prevent it from backing off as well.

Im a big fan of the APA little bastard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im a big fan of the APA little bastard. </div></div>
So am I, but the poor guy beside me takes a beating, if you ever fire a round without H/P you will pay.

I like the Badger Thruster. It's is very effective......but like all brakes the noise is obnoxious laterally.

+1 on AAC or Surefire if you want to have the option of adding a can on in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmdecker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are considering ever putting a can on the gun (although you say you don't have current plans to), I'd look at what can I may want in the future and get the brake that will work with that can. Personally, I'd look at the AAC Brake and the Surefire Brake. </div></div>

I like this logic.

Both will tame a .308