• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Muzzle Brake for the money

mwiggi

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
South Georgia
What would be the best muzzle brake for the money for a Tikka T3X 308? I’m leaning towards an Area 419 SideWinder.

I don’t mind spending extra money for a better brake, but is there that much difference between a $50 brake and a $200 brake in terms of recoil reduction/muzzle rise? I’ll be using the gun to hunt and shoot around 600 yards.

I’ve had great results with a DPMS Miculek brake, but I can’t seem to find one. Plus others have told me to spend more on a brake.

Reactions: Brett rados
from everything i have read, all but the worst perform similarly and some do work slightly better than average.
this is for a .308, but the surefire procomp ended up being the best value for recoil reduction.

I just bought a “beast“ from muzzle brakes and more, their YouTube videos comparing brakes on a recoil sled are impressive and all the reviews or notes I can find on them online speak highly of them. Plus, they are unexpectedly affordable.

In my opinion, the $200 comes in when you take it off every few hundred rounds to clean and it actually goes back on like it should.

Buy a nice, quality APA, 419 or similar brake and it’s one less thing to worry about.

For the price. Muzzle breaks and more. I run TBAC, area 419 and muzzle breaks and more. Cost vs performance. Muzzle breaks and more is by far the best.

Not cheap but ck out Terminator brakes. Probably the most effective brake out there.

from everything i have read, all but the worst perform similarly and some do work slightly better than average.
this is for a .308, but the surefire procomp ended up being the best value for recoil reduction.
please never ever use this or any other similar test that's 5 years old and look at AR brakes

this entire link is legit trash

i like my sidewinder and heathen. different rifles though.

hellfire is fine too

have an unfired Hawkins Tank ST in 30 cal just don't have any non massive barrels to put it on so ill probably get rid of it before trying it out

Piercision Muscle Brake (self-timed) is about the nicest brake you will ever find. APA little Bastard fat Bastard is never a bad option and fun to say.

I just got one in the mail today. Absolutely great quality, no fill, as advertised.
The tactical brake (as seen in the picture) have flat ports (no reverse ports), but they are angled slightly upward to drive some of the blast upward, this pushing down on the muzzle.

Attachments

• 5566D7F6-1700-45D3-80CE-0B4E0E7D4154.jpeg
    5566D7F6-1700-45D3-80CE-0B4E0E7D4154.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 184
So on a heavier comp rifle they have too much downward pressure? I’ve only shot them on lighter hunting rifles where that’s super desirable.
On a hunting rifle I think they’re awesome.
Recoil reduction is great with high bore center rifles.

On a rifle that already doesn’t have muzzle (or very little) rise it pushes it hard downward and I gut a bunch of weird flutter on recoil.
Put a Heathen with no vertical bias on that rifle and it literally doesn’t move left, right, up or down at all on recoil if you have a good position.
It absolutely shot nicer afterwards.

So on a heavier comp rifle they have too much downward pressure? I’ve only shot them on lighter hunting rifles where that’s super desirable.
A lot major brand muzzle brakes offers some form of downward pressure. Gen 3 APAs, area 419s, tubb 5 star, Harrells, MBM, etc. Also, I haven't seen any test showing downward pressure having a negative effect on accuracy. But, I have seen test showing a positive effect for staying on target. This benefit is even more pronounced during positional shooting.

I run very few muzzle brakes but the one I have been the most impressed with so far has been the Area 419 Hellfire.
Not an expert when it comes to brakes by far but it is a very effective brake for both recoil reduction and spotting hits beyond 1000 yards and in my opinion felt percussion to the shooter.

A VIAS hands down will reduce recoil the most but they are obnoxiously loud and have Ports 360*. I use one on my 300wm and it’s as soft as my 6.5x47

I have a harrels on my 300wsm and it’s a puppy dog now. Gun only weighs 8lbs too.

Do you have any plans to put on a suppressor? If so I would go with one that is more geared to common suppressor mountings.

Reactions: XLR308
Do you have any plans to put on a suppressor? If so I would go with one that is more geared to common suppressor mountings.
That's a good point and one of the reasons I tried the Hellfire initially.
They are easily adaptable to suppressor use and simple to take on and off for cleaning or mounting a suppressor so long as your not to ham fisted with them.
The first time I installed mine I had issues removing it due to being a little heavy handed when installed.
It's a fine pitch left hand thread that locks up on a taper so some finess is recomended for you fellow gorillas.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Muzzle brakes and more are the best for the cost. That being said I have three hellfires. Easy to put on and remove for cleaning.

Another vote for muzzle brakes and more. I’ve used them on several different calibers and have had no issues with downward bias. Scott Weichel from live oak precision (maybe accuracy?) also makes an awesome brake, but I’ve had to soak that one a little longer when cleaning. I also have an MPA brake and that thing is a monster. It probably has the most recoil reduction, but I can only tell a difference on magnum calibers. I think the other two look better though.

Edit: It’s live oak accuracy. It looks like he now has various diameter as well. Good luck!

Reactions: PAYDIRT
You can’t beat the performance of a 4 port beast for the cost.

My son has a 2 piece MBM Beast and it does reduce recoil a lot, but I feel the blast from it while shooting the rifle. I have a 6mm and a 6.5 Hellfire, but a friend switched from the APA to the Tierney Arms Ghille and the recoil reduction and lack of blast at the shooter is impressive. If I were buying a brake right now, that is where I would go.

I run area 419 and have both hellfire and sidewinders. I feel the sidewinder’s beefiness will outweigh the minimal increase in recoil reduction on a .308. They are designed for magnum calibers and though both will work, A hellfire will do just as well, be smaller, and about $20 cheaper if I remember correctly. I can PM you a side by side picture of the two for comparison if you wish.

FWIW I run an Impact Precision brake and while I only have sent 15rds through it so far, I like it and feel it mitigates what little recoil a 6BR has effectively. When my TBAC ultra 9 gets outta jail I’ll probably opt for their brake as it’s currently stuck in my can with no signs of coming out with out taking it to the boys at MHSA (the “gunsmith” that put it on swears it was set with rocksett but I mounted the can, took it back off before firing, and off came the brake too)

Take a look at the Axis Precision Worx Raptor. They just started being imported from South Africa. I have one on backorder since the initial shipment sold out pretty fast. I don’t have a relationship with APW but I’ve seen their MB in action in some videos (Impact Shooting) and it’s pretty amazing how little the gun moves. I just haven’t seen enough difference in the popular brands to convince me to buy one so I’m taking a shot on this one.

Reactions: mwiggi
What would be the best muzzle brake for the money for a Tikka T3X 308? I’m leaning towards an Area 419 SideWinder.

I don’t mind spending extra money for a better brake, but is there that much difference between a $50 brake and a $200 brake in terms of recoil reduction/muzzle rise? I’ll be using the gun to hunt and shoot around 600 yards.

I’ve had great results with a DPMS Miculek brake, but I can’t seem to find one. Plus others have told me to spend more on a brake.
Check out American precision arms they have a good line of brakes I like the GEN two S. timing ones also terminator is a very good break as well

Is there a good article on how much blast back to the shooter is felt too? I want a brake that would minimize recoil but also not give me a headache after shooting 100 rounds.

Reactions: 260284
FWIW I’ve noticed less perceived blast to the face with a Hellfire than with a Gen 2 Little Bastard. Both helped with recoil about the same. Those are the only two I’ve used personally.

Piercision Muscle Brake (self-timed) is about the nicest brake you will ever find. APA little Bastard fat Bastard is never a bad option and fun to say.
I have a Piercision on a 6.5 CM in a J Allen chassis and as far as I can tell, it does its job very finely.

I just got one in the mail today. Absolutely great quality, no fill, as advertised.
The tactical brake (as seen in the picture) have flat ports (no reverse ports), but they are angled slightly upward to drive some of the blast upward, this pushing down on the muzzle.

And I have a Harrels brake on my .308 deer gun. Not expensive and it also seems to do its job. The one I have is not self-timing and I had it turned down to match contour and cerekote it. I'm very happy and glad to not have spent more money.

Cheers

Reactions: delfuego
Just picked one of these up from Kelblys and love the thing, lighter and better recoil management than my lil bastards

15283535-BC1D-44C2-BFCF-122C904ECE61.jpeg

Reactions: Baron23
I use a Precision Armament M11 on my 308 and it does a great job of taming recoil and jump. Of course the guy on either side of me is not a fan.....

I used their Accu-washers to time it during install. Slick system.

Check out the M11. It gets great reviews and does very well in comparisons.

Just picked one of these up from Kelblys and love the thing, lighter and better recoil management than my lil bastards

View attachment 7386732
How did these compare in regards to concussion and blast for you on the shooter end vs. the lil bastards? They are incredibly affordable....so my interest is peaked but man there's not much in the way of info on these

It's not in the clique here but I recently got a Scott Weichel brake and I'm very happy with it. The locking system is super slick and Scott is a fantastic guy to do business with too.

It's not in the clique here but I recently got a Scott Weichel brake and I'm very happy with it. The locking system is super slick and Scott is a fantastic guy to do business with too.
Yup. Love mine and mentioned it earlier as well. They look so damn good too!!

Reactions: PAYDIRT
47 replies and no one has referenced the best test done?

it’s a few years old but the data is excellent. That being said. APA are, in my opinion, the best. I’ve tried just about everything and don’t even bother with others now.

I have the same rifle and use the "Little Bastard gen II I purchased from Eurooptics.com one of the best I have tried and reasonably priced.

McRee, Precision Armament, or Little Bastard for regular brakes, and the one Spartan Rifles sells for self timing brakes all work well.