• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best new bolt action with irons?

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I absolutely love shooting a Finnish M39 with its fantastic iron sights. Which modern rifle is the closest I can get to this old classic? I would like something in an available caliber (308, 30-06, 223, 6.5, etc.) mainly I don’t want to wear out the barrel on such a collectible rifle like the 39.
    Any advice?

I absolutely love shooting a Finnish M39 with its fantastic iron sights. Which modern rifle is the closest I can get to this old classic? I would like something in an available caliber (308, 30-06, 223, 6.5, etc.) mainly I don’t want to wear out the barrel on such a collectible rifle like the 39.
    Any advice?

Also this one
    t3x_battue.png

Make some light loads for ur m39

Barrel life will be ridiculous with something like 35gr h4896..

What’s ur bore slug out to?

Pretty ez to thumb in a hornady 311 ball on fired cases and light a small charge of whatever powder ya choose. Blue dot is good.

Anschutz 1781 dl is a pretty close modern equivalent. It’ll feel like having a laser wand off hand.

How about the Ruger Scout Rifle in 308Win, which uses AICS magazines?
    Originally considered getting one of those before I decided to get my t3x since they are available lefty. Decided not to go with the ruger after I ran the bolt on one. Felt like crap compared to the the Tikka and I don't know what good feels like. Also didn't like the wobbliness of the ruger with the bolt open.

Reactions: Alpine 338
    I mainly ask as my M39 is like a laser pointer for me. If i want to hit something i just adjust the sights and shoot it. It fits me better than any other rifle.

There's a marlin lever action in 6.5 creedmoor it's pretty slick

Do you have a link to that? I know Henry has one out, but I can’t seem to find a 6.5 in a Marlin.

MK20, I get why you like the M39; I have a 1898 Krag I feel the same about and it’s a fun gun to shoot. Not many guns with good adjustable irons these days. M1 Garand or M1A are pretty good.

I mainly ask as my M39 is like a laser pointer for me. If i want to hit something i just adjust the sights and shoot it. It fits me better than any other rifle.
    I wonder if the 13.5” LOP is a factor

Shoot the shit out of it and if accuracy falls off get it rebarreled. No big deal.

CZ 527 lux. I have a 527 American in .223 and love it

The Henry is pretty rubbish.

Unless you like clunky actions, slow lock times and bad triggers

Henry long ranger and blr’s aren’t bolt guns

New blr’s are not the same as pre 81’s.

They may be slightly more accurate but you will be hard pressed to find a smith that will rebarrel them..

Will take the steel receivers over aluminum.

Back on track regarding irons on bolt guns.. i’d not be scared to get a smith to set up a t3 in a laminate stock with some modern iron sights. Or slum the arctic.

That said a 2moa red dot might be a decent compromise on most any rifle. Threw a red dot on my t1x this weekend and it was surprisingly well regulate ergo wise. Don’t have a regular stocked t3 Center fire atm to confirm. Ymmv