• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best NEW manual lathe

trigger time

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2006
Anna, tx
Everyone is constantly debating old iron vs new import (china) but I have yet to see any opinions on who actually makes the best manual lathes for barrel work now. I hope to be in a position in the next couple years to get a second and highly upgraded lathe to add to the shop. What would be the top lathes made today? Really hoping to here from guy's like Mr Cross, Gardner, Joplin ext.. that have been doing it for a long time and working with very high quality lathes. So far I've been looking at something like a Romi T14, or a Clausing Colchester 13.
Are there better ones for barrel work? Are these even good choices?
Thanks in advance for any help and info.

Tony

Re: Best NEW manual lathe

Got a 14 inch Clausing that I think is fantastic, An older lathe that I bought from a buddy of mine when he reduced his shop size, and I love it.

I use a Clausing Colchster 13 x 40. It's a great in every way a lathe should be. If you want to chamber through the head stock you will need to make a spider for the rear, and one on a D4 backing plate for the chuck end. Both are very easy to make. You will be limited to longer barrels such as 24 inch or better due to the distance between spiders. Be forewarned that if it breaks down as mine currently is, parts are very expensive and not always available. Plus Clausings customer support has disappointed me. 5 emails and several calls later I still have no help figuring out what's wrong. I like the lathe so much that I will find an instruments and controls tech that can fix it locally. To give you an idea of parts cost, the steady rest cost $1600.00. If you want rollers on the fingers, add $250.00 to that. I found mine, brand new in a 20 year old box on eBay for $500.00 with roller guides. In my opinion, it is an awesome lathe, just wish I could get mine running soon. Good luck.

Ozzie

I figured as much on the parts, although the thought of a steady rest running 1850 is a little hard to swallow. I hope to get everything at once and not ad to it as I go. It's very disappointing to here about the CS being anything but great. It would be nice to think that if you spend that much on something the company would be quick to help out with any trouble. Sorry to here about your luck with that. Also, I appreciate you sharing your opinion on it. Enjoyed your videos as well.

Anyone else have any experience running the machines in question or great lathes that I am unaware of?

While not a manual, I've heard good things about the Haas TL-1 & TL-2 manual/CNC machines. Know of one gunsmith that uses the TL-1.

Quality Machine Tools aka Precision Matthews sells a lathe that is a clone of the Clausing Colchester 13x40. The rumor is that they are made in the same place but one gets the Clausing label and higher price tag. When we replace our Logan 12" that is what we'll be getting, it's around 7-8, with a DRO if I remember right.
Justin

They sure do look the same. I wonder if they are made to the same tolerances.

If money not is an issue, schaublin and Weiler plays in a totally different league than all others. I have a couple of schaublin lathes but they are small toolroom
Lathes not usable for barrelwork.
For barrels i have a swedish Storebro.

Håkan

Money will always become an issue at some point, but I would really like to keep it at or below 30 35,000. Also, it would be strictly for barrel work. I'll have to see what I can find on Storebro, I haven't even heard of them.
All I am finding is CNC. Unless I'm not seeing something they don't even make a manual lathe anymore.

Wish I could help but I would have to say 30000 should buy a nice lathe

IMHO Monarch is the nicest precision tool room lathe made. That being said parts and accessories are damn expensive also. My at home lathe is a Logan 11x36 heavy with a large chuck thru hole.
1 1/2" thru hole should be good for barrel work. Don't forget the collet closer,4-jaw,collet set,steady rest,etc,etc.

I would consider a second hand lathe in very good condition instead of a new. If you buy that, you will be able to buy the very best ever made, instead of something that is good.

The best lathes like Weiler and Schaublin does often come complete with collets, and those are great for other turning jobs than barrels.

Håkan

In your opinion are the new top tier manuals like romi ext.. not made as well as the older ones?

Here is a link to the Clausing E1440 Geared Head Engine Lathe that I'm considering. My quoted price delivered is $12,999 with the following optional equipment included in the price. 8" Easy Set 3-Jaw Chuck, Steady Rest, 4MT Live Center, 8" 4-Jaw Chuck.

Any opinions on these new Clausing machines?

Clausing Metosa E1440

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad,

Your link is hosed up bro.

Mark</div></div>

Works for me. Do you have adobe Reader

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad,

Your link is hosed up bro.

Mark</div></div>

Works for me. Do you have adobe Reader </div></div>

Yes, I have Adobe.

This is the URL that the link takes me to. Not sure what is up with this?

https://www.google.com/accounts/Ser...d%26zw&sig=AHIEtbQTCoYJffVtkt1imly05Nc3ddjJGg

Mark, link is fixed, thanks

I shopped for 2 years before settling on brand new equipment from Matt. My PM 1340 looks exactly like an older Clausing 1340 but according to Matt nothing interchanges. It exceeds the tolerances by half and according to Matt the parts are readily available. It wasn't cheap. A little over $11,000 the way I have it set up. Mine has a digital variable frequency drive that allows me to run down to 50% speed. This thing is a pure pleasure to run. I saved a little by doing a package. The 9-49 mill in the background came with it.

Hired Gun,

Just visited their website. Is your model # PM1340? Don't see your lathe?

It is not pictured on Matt's site yet. Give him a ring and he will help you out. Here is how it arrived. I did want to add we have no trouble dialing into dead flat readings on the .0001" Starrett indicators or making cuts almost that light. With the DRO our resolution is .0002" electronically. It's cool to have a machine that operates this tight under most others people specifications.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Massoud,
great, thanks. I've been striking out on availability everywhere. I've talked to Matt but he doesn't have any machines that I would be interested in, maybe until December. He recommended that I call Clausing and I've been trying to work out a deal with them for a couple of days.

Also just checked and MSC clausing lathes are out of stock.

Hired Gun,

Your lathe would be perfect for me, but again, no availability.

Look around for a used Hardinge HLVH, they are not made anymore, at least by Hardinge, but they are very solid, tight machines, that are not so long thru the headstock. You will likely remove the collet closer, and run a 4 jaw or spider set up for chambering. Ebay is full of these things, as well as the accessories for them.

If new is what you want, there are several knockoff of these ( Feeler is one ) that are pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not pictured on Matt's site yet. Give him a ring and he will help you out. Here is how it arrived. I did want to add we have no trouble dialing into dead flat readings on the .0001" Starrett indicators or making cuts almost that light. With the DRO our resolution is .0002" electronically. It's cool to have a machine that operates this tight under most others people specifications.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us</div></div>

I ended up buying this lathe new from Precision Matthews and can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks Hired Gun and all others for contributing.