• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Best Nightforce Reticle For PRS

Cardboard Assassin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
Canada
I need a FFP / MIL scope for the PRS rig I'm putting together and I've took a shine to the Nightforce 7-35X.

I realize that for PRS I'll mostly use it in the middle of the magnification range to get the wider field of view but I'm hoping that with the fine centre dot I can also use it in F class where the extra magnification will come in useful.

Anyways I've looked at the MIL-XT and Tremor3 reticles, both have the "Christmas tree" type reticle which I have never used before but I feel that for PRS where I'd probably be holding over as opposed to dialling such a reticle would be very useful.

I personally like the MIL-XT better (its cleaner / not so cluttered) but I'm curious what those with PRS experience under their belts think as to which is the best fit.

From what I have read the Tremor reticle is very well thought out and can be tailored for any situation (once you get your head around it).

This will be my first non MOA scope too so that will be another thing to learn.

Last edited:
the tremor doesnt do what you think

mil-xt or mil-c will be the better choice
I've been looking at a Tremor3 lately, and after actually studying how the heck it works, it makes a lot more sense. I've never shot it or the H59 though. What makes you say it doesn't do what you think?

Just my opinion;
Tremor3 is WAY too busy, making POI self-spotting difficult. Now that's saying a lot as my go-to reticle for last three years is the H59
Two of the guys I compete with have just dumped the T3 for the MIL-XT

I now have the Mil-XT in a NF ATACR 7-35 and it is a very good reticle.
Allows precise holds, with the 0.2Mil on both vertical and horizontal like the H59, which means you can actually hold down to the tenth easily, eg. 2.9Mil at 500m
For complicated PRS stages where you have to hustle there is no time to dial wind (I never dial wind, ever).

If you're running a ATACR 7-35 with MIL-XT and your missing, it ain't the scope.........

PS. even though my ATACR is 7-35x, for me nearly every stage at a comp is run at 15-18x so I can find targets quickly

I ran the Tremor 3 this last year in mine and I hate it. Sending it in to NF to have them do a reticle swap and going with the Mail-XT.

Reactions: spacebiker
I ran the Tremor 3 this last year in mine and I hate it. Sending it in to NF to have them do a reticle swap and going with the Mail-XT.
What did you hate about it? I'm not looking at a Nightforce myself, but I am getting ready to drop some cash on a new scope and it's between the Tremor3 and the MSR2. I want to try and deduce if I'd hate the Tremor3 or not before blowing a lot of money on it.

What did you hate about it? I'm not looking at a Nightforce myself, but I am getting ready to drop some cash on a new scope and it's between the Tremor3 and the MSR2. I want to try and deduce if I'd hate the Tremor3 or not before blowing a lot of money on it.

Look at MIL-C also if you are considering MSR-2.(y)

Reactions: Craig Brown

well I have the original MSR in my S&B and really love that one. Probably one of my favorite reticle. Very clean.

as far as the tremor 3. I don’t like that there is a gap on the vertical crosshair above the center. But the biggest thing is above the horizontal line, there are a set of numbers on each side. 2, 4, 6. Those are supposed to be MPH movers. For some reason my eye will always focus on them when I’m trying to hold off and it takes me a few seconds to reload I need to look beneath that line at the actual Mil Subtensions. It’s just cluttered and can be very confusing. Just my personal opinion. I’ve shot a buddies Mail-XT a few times and much more easier for my eyes to quickly pick up what I need to.

Reactions: rothgyr
I think anything genius is too much unless it clicks with your brain...and when it does, it works. Reticles are as personal as dates.

Yep, have to agree. I found one that works perfectly for me on an LPVO after much searching / several optics but when I found the right one it made a big difference.

I'm starting to think the MIL-XT will be a good fit.

For those that have used it, does the centre dot stay fine enough at 35X for good precision? Or does it grow pretty big?

I ask as this scope will primarily be for PRS and will generally be in the middle of the magnification range for that but I'm curious if the dot will allow the kind of accuracy required for F Class (where it will be on 35X magnification) which I shoot occasionally.

I'm starting to think the MIL-XT will be a good fit.

For those that have used it, does the centre dot stay fine enough at 35X for good precision? Or does it grow pretty big?

I ask as this scope will primarily be for PRS and will generally be in the middle of the magnification range for that but I'm curious if the dot will allow the kind of accuracy required for F Class (where it will be on 35X magnification) which I shoot occasionally.

Anyone?

Unfortunately I cant handle / look at one of these so second hand info gleamed from others who have experience is the best I can do.

I don't shoot PRS, so can't speak to that side of it, but have the tremor 3 on 3 different rifles and love it. Once you understand it, it's fast and easy to use but takes a bit of time to get used to.

I don't shoot PRS, so can't speak to that side of it, but have the tremor 3 on 3 different rifles and love it. Once you understand it, it's fast and easy to use but takes a bit of time to get used to.

Looks like it has what looks like a fairly fine centre dot - does the dot stay small for good precision at 35X (being a FFP that will grow with magnification)?

If PRS is the specific goal for the scope, MIL-XT. I like the “openness” while still having a tree .2 mrads in the reticle. Because I have run Horus and Tremor reticles exclusively for a long time, the way the windage mrads are oriented took a few times to get used to. Otherwise it’s definitely my go-to for PRS and any match where I am primarily dialing.

Yeah the dot stays small enough at high magnification for precision, but I've only had it up to 35x a few times playing around or looking for mirage.

I have used both the Mil-C and XT reticles, and settled on the XT. I shoot only PRS now, and the tree reticle does help on that stage when you need to hold elevation and wind. At first, the XT looks a little busy, but it's not something I even see anymore unless I need it. If all you're shooting is ELR and can always dial for elevation, then the Mil-C would work fine.

I got the Mil-XT but I think I would be happy with the Mil-C as well. Either would be fine

Here are some pics through my phone of the Mil-XT.

Mil-XT-blakely.jpg
Mil-XT-510yds.jpg
Mil-XT-1mile.jpg

It's fairly tiny. The center dot is .1 MRAD... or 3.6" at 1000 yards. I haven't had anything I've ever aimed at and wished it was smaller, if anything a little bolder.

Reactions: spacebiker
*Update*

I'm still waiting on my 7-35X C613, order was placed in early February and the scope was supposed to ship to the retailer that week but after a few weeks I emailed them to see where it was.

They said they were still waiting and NF orders were running 4-6 weeks late so they expected to have it any time.

I'm now at 12 -13 weeks and still no sign. New rifle is complete. Starting to grow tired of waiting. Emailed the retailer again to see what the deal is.

Beginning to wish I had picked up a ZCO 5-27X, if things don't start moving soon I might still do that.

Anyone know if NF is backlogged right now (seems par for the course at the moment across the entire gun industry)?

Who did you use as a dealer? I’d be canceling and going through a dealer with them in stock. As I’m seeing a few with them as such.

Now that I know the dot doesn't get crazy big its pretty well a done deal, I will be ordering a 7-35X MIL-XT, I might have to find a bank to rob first though......:cry::)

Thanks for the help everyone.
By chance do you have any pictures with the scope at 35X?

I am interested in how big the centre dot gets at 35X around 900 - 1000 as I am hoping it is still small enough to be precise at those distances.

Do you realize that the target image and reticle are both equally magnified in first focal plane riflescopes?

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
Do you realize that the target image and reticle are both equally magnified in first focal plane riflescopes?

Yes, I already own both SFP & FFP scopes.

For long distance I have only used SFP (which I feel is the better bet for long range like F Class but I'm keeping an open mind until I try the 7-35X FFP NF).

As was mentioned previously this scope will primarily be for PRS but I dabble in F Class occasionally too so if the FFP 7-35X can do both it saves me messing around swapping scopes (I also own a 10-50X SFP Sightron), which is where the question about how large the centre dot grows to at full magnification (from what was described I think it will work well).

Who did you use as a dealer? I’d be canceling and going through a dealer with them in stock. As I’m seeing a few with them as such.

Not sure if it is because I lit a fire (I sent an email pretty much asking WTF) but they called me today to say its ready to ship.

The ZC 5-27X will have to wait, but I still see one in my future.

Reactions: charnicus
an FFP NF 7-35 will be good enough for f class is you're just dabbling and the main function is PRS matches

which is where the question about how large the centre dot grows to at full magnification

I don't think that you grasp the fact that the size (in angular units) of the dot AND the target do not change regardless of magnification. If you did you wouldn't be asking what you're asking.

However many minutes of arc or milliradians it covers at 7X is exactly how many it covers at 35X.

I also don't care how many FFP scopes you have or have had. Owning something in no way shape or form indicates understanding how it works.

I don't think that you grasp the fact that the size (in angular units) of the dot AND the target do not change regardless of magnification. If you did you wouldn't be asking what you're asking.

However many minutes of arc or milliradians it covers at 7X is exactly how many it covers at 35X.

I also don't care how many FFP scopes you have or have had. Owning something in no way shape or form indicates understanding how it works.

Excellent, not much more to say then.

well I have the original MSR in my S&B and really love that one. Probably one of my favorite reticle. Very clean.

as far as the tremor 3. I don’t like that there is a gap on the vertical crosshair above the center. But the biggest thing is above the horizontal line, there are a set of numbers on each side. 2, 4, 6. Those are supposed to be MPH movers. For some reason my eye will always focus on them when I’m trying to hold off and it takes me a few seconds to reload I need to look beneath that line at the actual Mil Subtensions. It’s just cluttered and can be very confusing. Just my personal opinion. I’ve shot a buddies Mail-XT a few times and much more easier for my eyes to quickly pick up what I need to.
Kind of a late reply, but I went with the Tremor3 in a Steiner M7XI and have run a couple of matches with it. My first match with it had 30mph crosswinds, and those [2, 4, 6] numbers really threw me off when trying to hold more than a mil of wind. I ended up not dialing at all for the rest of the match and using the wind dots, which worked surprisingly well, as I had never utilized the tree function of the reticle before. From then on, I've really only used the reticle instead of dialing anything at all.

Everyone talks about the Tremor3 being busy, but I don't think enough people talk about how thin the .2 marks are. Compared with the JVCR on my USO FDN at 12x:

jvcr45.jpg

tremor345.jpg

Recommend zooming in on those reticles and you'll see what I mean.

I know OP has already made his choice, but just in case anyone ends up on this thread with OP's same question, I figured it's worth dropping my experience here.

If you like to dial elevation and hold wind, Tremor3 loses for me. All the .2 marks are the same, and very hard to see. I've had a hard time picking out .6 from .8 on other reticles (hence I got the JVCR on my other scope). If Horus changed it to have .2 graduation marks in the wave format of the JVCR, PR2, or Mil-XT, and dropped the mover numbers up top in favor of plain mil marks, it would be a winner for me on all counts.

If, on COFs with troop lines, you like to dial the nearest one and hold the rest, Mil-XT wins, because wind dots don't translate, and the christmas tree goes out to 3 mils on that first mil line.

If you dial elevation and windage, they tie.

If you don't touch the elevation turret and just leave it at zero, Tremor3 wins for me.

My 7-35 ATACR has shown up. I put it in the mount and played around a little with it on my spotting scope tripod.

I really like the reticle. Its my first "Christmas tree" type reticle and I think it will serve me well for the rifles primary purpose (PRS). The MIL-XT reticle can be selected in Strelok so I can plug in all the data an it will give me data / visuals for holds at various distances so that should help me to learn the reticle.

I went with the 7-35X as I will use it for F Class too (where high mag SFP scopes are more typical), so I was worried if it would work in that arena but I think it will work great.

This is my first Nightforce and I am impressed with the quality / features. The glass is very clear, I used to think high magnification was more important that glass clarity but I can now see why so many say the opposite. The sweet spot for reticle size / field of view seems to be around 20X (which is what virtually everyone told me).

My Swarovski 30-70X spotting scope normally lives on the tripod so I was able to compare to the 7-35X, the NF did an admirable job but the Swarovski is crazy clear. Not apples to apples by any stretch but interesting none the less.

Looking forward to getting it on the gun and using it in anger.

Reactions: ma smith