• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best O/U for clay shooting for high school daughter

SDGator

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
My daughter's high school is starting a shotgun club. First meeting is in a month or so. She loves going to the range with me and shooting 22 pistol and 22 rifle, so she's eager to try shotgun out.

There's not really any guidance from the teacher on what action to get, and I've never done clay/skeet/trap/whatever. Reading around, O/U shotguns in 20 guage seem to be the best option. I took her to Cabella's and Academy to try out some shotguns. Not a whole lot in the youth category. We also went to a pawn shop that is really just a huge used guns store. They had a Ithaca Model 600 that she really likes for $750.

What do you all recommend for her in the $500 to $750 range?

Also I'm a bit worried about recoil for her. I'm thinking about getting a slip-on recoil pad for whatever we end up with. Any other suggestions on that front?

I would consider a semi auto to start out. Is there a reason she needs an o/u? Something like the old beretta 390 series is pretty popular.

4H Trap? Sporting clays? Other?

The slip on recoil pad will add LOP and could make recoil worse.

Gas operated auto will have less recoil than O/U. Used Rem 1100 with Rem Choke would be most cost effective. If LOP is too long, buy a replacement stock and cut the replacement to correct LOP.

Have you considered a used 20 gauge semi-auto. The recoil will be much softer with a semi-auto. Look for a used Beretta 303,390 or 391. There are also a number of Remington 1100 20 gauge models that you could find within your price range. Once you pick a shotgun, make sure that the stock dimensions fit her. Have an expert help with the gun fit - it will make a difference in her scores.
My daughters began with the semi-autos and as they got older (and stronger) they moved up to an O/U. They initially tried an O/U and found the recoil to be a problem. The issue was solved when they tried a semi-auto.
Regardless of which model you pick, stick to standard velocity shells.
Phil G

Reactions: goatboy
Is there a reason she needs an o/u?
No reason she needs on o/u, semi-auto is fine. I honestly can't remember why I got hung up on o/u. But you all are right, recoil will be less on a semi-auto. That fact was staring me right in the face and I still didn't make the connection. Go figure.

4H Trap? Sporting clays? Other?
Ummm....I don't know. I get the impression they are going to do multiple disciplines. I do know they will be doing meets with other high schools, if that helps.

Once you pick a shotgun, make sure that the stock dimensions fit her. Have an expert help with the gun fit - it will make a difference in her scores.
The folks at the gun stores we've been to so far haven't been too helpful with gun fit. Is there a specific kind of store or place to go where they can fit her? Maybe a local trap club or something? We're in the Austin, TX area, if that helps.

Be aware not all auto's are gas operated. A Browning A5 20ga has more felt recoil than a Beretta 391 12ga.

If it's a school team, it's most likely some form of trap.

No reason she needs on o/u, semi-auto is fine. I honestly can't remember why I got hung up on o/u. But you all are right, recoil will be less on a semi-auto. That fact was staring me right in the face and I still didn't make the connection. Go figure.

Ummm....I don't know. I get the impression they are going to do multiple disciplines. I do know they will be doing meets with other high schools, if that helps.

The folks at the gun stores we've been to so far haven't been too helpful with gun fit. Is there a specific kind of store or place to go where they can fit her? Maybe a local trap club or something? We're in the Austin, TX area, if that helps.
Gun store are not always the most knowledgeable about everything. Do you know of anywhere local that people shoot clays? Many places will offer lessons and other shooters are usually very helpful with beginners. Go take a few lessons with her and see what she likes. She may even be able to try some of these guns before you buy

With shotguns it’s all about fit as you don’t use sights like a rifle. It will be difficult to find a O/U that fits a petite woman. I tried for my wife and she never felt comfortable shouldering the available shotguns. A long time ago one company put out O/Us for woman but not sure there is anything like that presently available. We ended up with a Remington 1100 skeet-26 inch barrel with chokes and 20 gauge. If you cut a lot off the stock to get the right length make sure you check the cut stock for drop. If your daughter can handle the weight go with a 12 gauge. The extra weight smooths swing in a gaming shotgun and lessens recoil.

I got my daughter a Mossberg 20ga semi auto. She is 11, tall and skinny. Only real issue with it is the bolt release her fingers are not strong enough to release it repeatably. She has to slam it with the heel of her palm. She shot one of those Siren shotguns which she handled and liked but it was $1800 and the Mossy was $500.

Reactions: HogsLife
My petite 14 yr old daughter shoots my Browning Cynergy satin classic quite well. It is fairly light, recoil isn’t much of an issue, and it fits her nicely.

@SDGator For an economical youth 20 Ga O/U, go to Academy and look at the Yildiz line. They are Turkish and imported by Briley. The service center, if ever you should need it is in Houston. They can be a bit stiff to open, but will break in over time. They are light weight and the stocks are head and shoulders above the Lowe's quality lumber found on most domestic shotguns. At $429, they are a steal...

[QUOTE="SDGator, post: 7537396,
The folks at the gun stores we've been to so far haven't been too helpful with gun fit. Is there a specific kind of store or place to go where they can fit her? Maybe a local trap club or something? We're in the Austin, TX area, if that helps.[/QUOTE]

Capitol City Clays is in Austin Tx and it is a great skeet/trap/sporting clays range. There are several quality instructors that you can work with on gun fit and with shooting lessons. Call Nick the manager at 512 272-4707 and he can get you set up with an instructor. Phil G

With shotguns it’s all about fit as you don’t use sights like a rifle. It will be difficult to find a O/U that fits a petite woman. I tried for my wife and she never felt comfortable shouldering the available shotguns. A long time ago one company put out O/Us for woman but not sure there is anything like that presently available. We ended up with a Remington 1100 skeet-26 inch barrel with chokes and 20 gauge. If you cut a lot off the stock to get the right length make sure you check the cut stock for drop. If your daughter can handle the weight go with a 12 gauge. The extra weight smooths swing in a gaming shotgun and lessens recoil.

^^^ This ^^^

Shotgunning is all about fit. I don't know how to explain it, other than when you know its right, its right. Let her go to the store and pick up everything and swing it around, get her whatever she decides fits best.

As others have said a semi auto might be a little easier on her, than a O/U.

There are several shotguns targeted towards female shooters. However I believe most of them are going to be out of your price range. Beretta has the Vittoria and Syren has all sorts of stuff for the lady shooter.

Most likely your daughters team is going to join the SCTP program. If they do, they will shoot all 3 disciplines. Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. My daughter started with a Winchester Ultimate Sporting shotgun in 12g. Adjustable comb and LOP which is huge for a new shooter. It’s a little more than you want to spend but it served her well till I bought
her DT11. PM me if you want any specific details,,,,,good luck and have fun!

If your daughter will be doing trap and clays consider a 28 or 30 inch barrel. The longer length helps in those games and doesn’t hinder skeet shooting. If you can find a gun with adjustable comb and pad that’s a big plus. Maybe you can get someone to come out and do a gun fit clinic for the team. And kudos to you and your daughter, lots of fun in the shotgun sports.

Fit is 100% of the game

This concern with fit is not knowing
1) size of your daughter
2) if other kids and grandkids will shoot this down the road.

With many semi autos, their is a recoil system in the butt stock. (Part 26 in Diagram below)

It is impossible to shorten the stock on many Semi autos. With a pump or O/U, you don't have this issue.

Many trap ranges will have a wide variety of rentals. Some also have a resident Smith who can chop the stock in a bandsaw and fit a new recoil pad. They can also install threaded inserts into the newly cut buttstock and the piece that was removed.

You save the piece removed and can later reinstall the piece with bolts from the removed piece into the threaded inserts in the stock.

If you are taking a big piece off- say 3", you might have them cut that in 1/2 so you end up with 2 spacers so you can add 1 1/2" to the stock at a time as the child grows.

Mossberg started importing Turkish made O/U. The main issue is that when they break, Mossberg does not stock parts.

1550161722068.png

Stock has to be longer than the metal tube :(

1550162282321.png

Spacer Concept - berretta 1301 - your spacer would be the wood removed
1550162230216.png

1550162359567.png

Attachments

• 1550162116662.png
    1550162116662.png
    109.1 KB · Views: 50
SKB RS300 on GunBroker for $866, buy now for $929. I think this is what you want.

1550162892432.png

FEATURES
  • Competition Grade
  • Standard and Youth Lengths
A properly fit shotgun stock is a combination of adjustments. These adjustments are unique to each individual shooter and include the drop dimensions, the proper length of pull, pad rotation and the comb alignment and height. The “fit and feel” of a shotgun and where it patterns are all dependent upon these unique dimensions.
The major challenge for most student athletes and coaches is having a shotgun that “fits” them from season to season. The RS300 is the solution to this problem.

Adjustable Butt Plate System
Adjustable_Butt_Plate_page_24.jpg

The stock’s length of pull can be adjusted from 13 ½” to 14 ¾” for proper gun mount and cheek placement on the comb of the stock. The pad can be rotated in either direction for proper shoulder pocket fit. This reduces felt recoil and the natural reflex to cant the toe of the pad away from the top of the pectoral muscle. The pad can also be adjusted in an up and down direction 1 ¼” to insure proper eye alignment to the sighting plane

Adjustable Stock Shim System
Adjustable_Stock_Shim_page_24.jpg

A selection of 6 stock shims are provided with the shotgun. Three of the shims adjust the drop dimension of the stock from the standard drop dimension. The shim with the maximum drop dimensions is DAC 1 3/8” and DAH 2 ½”. The shim with the minimum drop dimension is DAC 1 3/ 8” and DAH 2”Also included are two shims that adjust the cast from neutral to either Left or Right. These cast shims have a standard Drop Dimension of DAC 1 3/8” and DAH 2 ¼”

Adjustable Comb Hardware
Adjustable_Comb.jpg

The adjustable comb can be moved horizontally ¼ inch from the center line of the stock in either a left or right direction. The comb can be adjusted vertically upward ½ inch by using washers that slide over the post. These comb adjustments insure that the shooters eye is in alignment with the center line of the rib

RS – Hybrid Recoil System
RS_-_Hybrid_Recoil_System_page_24.jpg

The new light load recoil system allows even the youngest of the youth shooters to utilize a 12ga shotgun in practice and competition. The gas assisted “RS” will cycle a full range of ammunition from light low recoil training loads to 1 ¼ oz. Heavy field loads.

I wish I had this advice before I started shotgun sports. The adjustment in the SKB @buffalowinter pointed to is what you want to look for. I understand it’s out of your range but maybe another manufacturer or used. Paying to modify a fixed stock adds up quick. Plus it’s very difficult to mod a fixed stock in one try as you need to figure in drop and maybe cant. It’s so much easier to be able to tweak an adjustable stock until you get the fit you need. Also in colder regions if your shooting year round your length of pull will change from summer with a vest and T-shirt to winter with more layers under the vest. Easy to compensate for with an adjustable stock.

That new SKB looks like it would be a great fit for you guys.

As I went through here I didn't see anyone mention the Tristar Viper semi's. They've got a decent reputation for a budget gun and i wouldnt be afraid to chop it shorter.

That being said, the 3 B's tend to be the way to go most times.

I strongly recommend a KickEze pad on whatever you set up for her. Got the wife into trap and 5 stand with a shortened/fitted citori with a kickeze and she'll go out n shoot 200 rds. of 12 gauge with no issues.

I have a 20ga Fetish and a big one!! I love the small frame O/U’s but recoil will be an issue. I have several 20 Auto’s and the older Rem 1100’s LT’s and the Beretta 391 are my favorites. I picked up another 1100 LT last wk. $425. Has 28” Full choke bbl but Angle Port can solve that issue

Wow....thanks for all the replies and all the help!! You all are an awesome resource!!

I went ahead and setup a lesson/gun-fitting with one of the instructors at Capitol City Clays here in town on Monday. The instructor is going to have several different shotguns to try out and will be able to measure and fit her properly.

That SKB gun looks ideal as far as adjustability and fit. Especially as she keeps growing, as kids insist on doing for some reason. I might have to go a bit beyond budget for that. This is going to seriously impact my rifle build timeline, but that's an easy call to make.

Academy is your friend on shells, Winchester Xtra-light 12g is $54.95 a flat shipped .
The gun is cheap on this endeavor, shells and birds are killer. $1000.00 a month for both of us is the norm

Personally, I'd steer clear of 1100's. They have issues that can ruin a perfectly good time.
Those stupid O-rings in the gas system always seem to break at the most inopportune times. And if you get a used one the FCG can be pretty beat, and that's just more money you'll have to pour down that rat hole.
There's a reason that the 1187 has taken the place of the 1100 in many safes.

Reactions: hermosabeach
Personally, I'd steer clear of 1100's. They have issues that can ruin a perfectly good time.
Those stupid O-rings in the gas system always seem to break at the most inopportune times. And if you get a used one the FCG can be pretty beat, and that's just more money you'll have to pour down that rat hole.
There's a reason that the 1187 has taken the place of the 1100 in many safes.
I disagree on the 1100s. Have two of them and they have run flawlessly since 1995. Yes you will have to change an O-ring once in a long while but I honestly can’t remember the last time I changed mine. They are used for Skeet on a weekly basis. I have lots of friends that own 1100s too and they run just fine. The 1187 was developed for bigger shells that clay busters don’t need.

I disagree on the 1100s. Have two of them and they have run flawlessly since 1995. Yes you will have to change an O-ring once in a long while but I honestly can’t remember the last time I changed mine. They are used for Skeet on a weekly basis. I have lots of friends that own 1100s too and they run just fine. The 1187 was developed for bigger shells that clay busters don’t need.
We will have to agree to disagree, because I lost count of how many times I've been at shoots when someone left the line due to a malfunctioning 1100. Way more than any other model.

clays are not free....

I giggle when someone saves $200 when buying a cheaper handgun... it lasts forever
Then they spend $350/ case for $45 or buy a box at a time for around $600/ case.

What does a round of clays cost in your area?
my local club
Shotgun Range Fees
Trap and Skeet: $10.00 per 25 Targets
Sporting Clays: $0.55 per Target
Crazy Quail: $8.00 per Box of Shells Shot
5-Stand: $10.00 per 25 Targets

+ ammo

Reactions: isofahunter
$.22 a bird when I preload my card at Ben Avery, Rio is slightly cheaper. Shells are $.22 for Winchester xtra lites
and $.30 for Bornaghi’s.
I shot over 12,000 practice birds last year and my daughter shot more, doesn’t includes match fees and birds,,,
It ain’t cheap, at least I’m not buying barrels or the latest,greatest scopes anymore

clays are not free....

I giggle when someone saves $200 when buying a cheaper handgun... it lasts forever
Then they spend $350/ case for $45 or buy a box at a time for around $600/ case.

What does a round of clays cost in your area?
my local club
Shotgun Range Fees
Trap and Skeet: $10.00 per 25 Targets
Sporting Clays: $0.55 per Target
Crazy Quail: $8.00 per Box of Shells Shot
5-Stand: $10.00 per 25 Targets

+ ammo
We buy pallet clay pigeons at time. Have just recently got 12v auto thrower. Man was that imp over hand thrower!! Aint never shot real skeet or trap. Just mainly play CutThroat. Redneck Arkie game

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
@krw See if there's a sporting clays course around you. It's like golf, but for men.

@krw See if there's a sporting clays course around you. It's like golf, but for men.
Only negative is no beer on a clays course. For me that’s 75% of the game of golf............

For the OP, Franchi 20ga automatics are great and they have youth models as well as being affordable Benelli’s that are made in Italy and imported. My wife has four sisters and all five of them shoot some form of this shotgun some youth some not depending on their frame size.

I don't have much to add other than O/Us are simple. The only 1100 I've ever owned was a turd.

Reactions: Old_Longhair
I agree with the general opinions you are hearing here. Fit will give her a leg up from the get go, semi autos have less recoil, the cost of the gun is only the beginning. If she can try or rent before you buy that is a plus. You can find a lot of gun on the used side if you are patient. If you are set on a o/u take a look at the CZ SCTP Sterling, designed for your situation.

We started with a Winchester gas gun, went to Beretta 690 Vittoria and ended up with a DT11 with sub gauge tubes.
I didn’t go full retard on a gun till I knew she was hooked. Much better (for me) than Irish Dancing LOL
She kicks my ass on a skeet field and can give me a run on Sporting. Hope it works out for you

Don't know how a Stoeger would work for your daughter. The M3000 series should be about $600. Stoeger is Bennelli. I think they are made in Turkey instead of Italy, same plans cheaper labor.

Any way you go with the gun starting with an instructor and fitting is a great start.

My daughter shoots trap. I initially bought her a Rem 1100 comp gun but it was too heavy for her, so I then got her a Browning BT-99 (single shot). Getting it fitted was key. You can find used BT-99's for around $800-1000. She has always shot 12ga as the trap rounds are pretty mild. She was shooting these as an 8th grader. Coaching and good practice are important. Our intermediate team was in the top 5 at nationals due to a good coach and talented kids.

She now shoots a CZ All American Trap combo. Very happy with it - but she shoot the "un-single" because of the adjustable rib. (it allows you to change from 50/50 to 90/10 poi).

Trap is getting more popular every year and almost every high school in my area has a team. The best part is getting kids out with guns & having them be comfortable with them...

Have a daughter doing the same.
If they do shoot all three disciplines then in O/U is ideal.
If your sure you want an auto then take a look at the Beretta wood stocked models. Berettas are in your price range and wood can be cut to the correct LOP easily. They shoot down to 7/8 loads without problems and are soft shooters in general.

Let me help you out. #1 rule stay away from the junk.

Beretta 390 / 680 series at a minimum. At your price point your looking for a nice used A303, 390, 3901 or 391. You may get lucky a snatch up a sporting style 680 series (i snatched a 682 sporting for $850 a few weeks ago) but your looking at closer to $1500 for something setup right. Older 680 series guns are much nicer than newer 680/690's.

Verona LX980 (Zoli Kronus ) is also a fantastic shotgun if u can find one. They are worth around $4K but sometimes u can find when people don't know what they have around the $1500 mark.

If you want to spend a little more , Ceaser Gerurini, Rizzini and Fabarm have a few nice over unders in the $2-4K range.

A little more than that $4K+ you are getting into Zoli & Blaser and starting into used P guns. High end used shotguns hold their value and many appreciate.

Stay away from browning, they are clunkers. The only exception would be a cynergy if she falls in love with it. They are marginal.

Stay away from Turkish guns... ALL of them..... they are simply Trash.

Stay away From Russian guns, they are all trash.

If your shotgun is not made in the Germany, Spain, Italy or Japan... its probably trash (there are a few high end US shotguns, starting at 10x your budget).

I have Italian shotguns that were made 30 years ago, that are worth more than I paid back then. A good gun holds its value. The trash guns mentioned above litter pawn shops who can barley give them away.

My advice is to find a nice used Beretta semi or O/U, and prepare to spend some more. Plus you are going to need chokes, vest, ect.

The only other Semi's I would consider is an older SX 2 or SX3 winchester or Browning Gold/Silver/Maxus.

If she is shooting 4h or ffa they use savage I believe. I would get whatever they use for the competitions if there are restrictions on gun selection.