• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best Off-Road 4x4

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
Just after recommendations for the best off-road 4x4.

It will be used for off-road LRS, hunting and fishing in some rough Australian conditions, including the outback & coastal beaches.

After something reliable & durable enough so I don't get stuck out in the Nullabor. Currently considering the Toyota Landcruiser or Hilux, but open to other options. More inclined to cab chasis or ute so I have the room to store the firearms etc.

Reactions: Lazyninja
I think your on the right track with the Land Cruiser. I would also look at the GX470 or the Prado 120 as outside the states would call it. Really good rigs. Not sure what the newer Prados are called now. I think any of those Toyota / Lexus variants would suit you well.

(But I'm partial to Toyota being a previous Toyota Mechanic)

tWhatever your version of the Toyota Tacoma OffRoad or 4Runner OffRoad. Reliable and both have rear lockers from the factory. I have a TRD Sport because they didn't offer a long bed in the OffRoad at the time. I just added an ARB air locker and compressor. The compressor is a handy tool. Especially since I run air bags in the rear. A set of Matrax and a winch can be handy. Good luck.

Mine:
Moab

Second the GX470, land cruiser, or whatever the 4runner equivalent is. I have a TRD Tacoma currently and while I like it, I've constantly been second guessing my purchase of it over the 4runner.

Try a Pinzgauer. This one is a 701M. It'll go places I'm too afriad to take it.

QUOTE="Barn Side, post: 7732373, member: 74848"]

It will be used for off-road LRS, hunting and fishing in some rough Australian conditions, including the outback & coastal beaches.

After something reliable & durable enough so I don't get stuck out in the Nullabor. Currently considering the Toyota Landcruiser or Hilux, but open to other options. More inclined to cab chasis or ute so I have the room to store the firearms etc.
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: medbill
Try a Pinzgauer. This one is a 701M. It'll go places I'm too afriad to take it.

QUOTE="Barn Side, post: 7732373, member: 74848"]

[/QUOTE]
It's more civilized relative is the Mercedes Galendawagen which is now being sold surplus in the Puch version (Steyr Damlier Puch) but with a weak non-turbo diesel engine. Just add a 100% mechanical injection Mercedes 6 cylinder turbo diesel and you have something that will survive the apocalypse.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, we can get the Ford Raptor here, but tbh haven’t seen many in the outback.

I have a friend that had a 70 series Landcruiser & now owns a new Ford Ranger and he said the cruiser was better in the hard stuff. Not sure how different the Raptor ranger is from the Ranger though. Cheers

79 series Landcruiser or Hilux. Ronny Dahl style.

As I’m also using it for hunting I’m worried that the Diesel engine may be too loud????
I read that sf in Afghanistan tried to steer clear of the Diesels as they were too loud.

Have you considered a Prado (if y’all have them in Australia)? I had friends who had a couple of them, and those Prados never got stuck when we were out in the sand. I scoffed at them at first since I figured they were just luxury vehicles, but those things took some abuse. They were regularly the ones pulling other vehicles out that had gotten stuck.

Lol who would consider a Ford when you can get a 7series Land cruiser?

get a hzj75 if you can afford it, if not get a Hilux, stay away from the land rovers unless you like to fix things.

Exactly! I would get a diesel Hilux for sure if it were me (but I am a diesel mechanic), put a small lift on it to get some bigger rubber under it for ground clearance and definitely ARB lockers front and rear (and get the big compressor option) with a good Warren wench. I find that as long as I am not out looking for trouble in my Jeep lockers prevent me ever using a wench. But if your an idiot even a wench is not going to save you... As said earlier having air on board is SOOO nice if you need it.

Reactions: stefan73
Jeep. No one said Jeep. Can you not get them in Australia? Wrangler is an off road menace. Done many scary rock crawl/trail trips in jeeps. Next would be a solid axle yota. Unimog would be dope, hard to kill those. I like the heated/cooled seats in my 5.0 powered Ford though.....

My buddy bought a new Raptor. He didn't mistreat the truck. The motor blew within a couple of weeks and Ford is buying it back from him. I asked him if he would get another and he said zero chance.

Reactions: JD8420
I just bought a 19 Raptor and running a N-Guage w 5-stage Performance tune and 93 Daily Driver tune for towing. 21 lbs of boost now 550hp/610 lb torque at the crank!! Dyno at at 440hp/510 at the wheel. Way to wide to wheel on tight trails............... Raptors are set up more for Baja style off-roading. Not saying they aren’t capable tho ?

• Wow
Reactions: AMGtuned
D3CF361A-0832-446F-BFF6-566339786FCC.jpeg

My 12 Fj cruiser I built more for overland style but vary capable on blacks if you pick your lines. My 88 YJ w v-8 conversion locked front/rear Dana 44 w 80:1 crawl gear is unstoppable!

I wheeled w a guy in PA a few years ago w a Pinzs! They are badass but hard to get parts!! Buy a solid axle 80 w a newer diesel conversion,

Reactions: ZG47A
F819A3FE-DB15-4CD0-A063-036163AB6696.jpeg
E554A6C4-9470-427B-AAE5-7F9D19628112.jpeg
Jeeps are cool if you can get them. My buddy flopped this one, we rolled it back over and wheeled the rest of the day!

If it's a capable fishing pole holder, spring over samurai with welded axles is probably the cheapest way out. But I'm sticking to the Jeep being king

I had a few hilux , 4runners and 1 bj42 when I lived in Germany.
1 Hilux I owned just had finished a transafrica and the thing was ultra reliable.

I have had some toys, with lots of power and 37inch tires but like I said that's toys, if I would build a hunting go anywhere truck that needs to bring be back I would orientate more towards the overland crew, there is a reason the 7series,and hilux is being used in the bush, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Also, I just remembered another option, Nissan patrol they are also popular with the transafrica crowd and available in Australia

I don’t have a desire to wheel my 75k truck (Raptor). If your wheeling YOU will do damage at some point! I didn’t have a straight panel on my FJ ?.

Reactions: sid
How the hell did the Ford raptor come into this thread?

Id take a damn Volkswagen Golf before I would go anywhere that's remotely bush with a raptor.

I like Ford's btw, I have a f250 and I'm currently shopping for a f350 but they don't compare to a Land cruiser in terms of reliability and ruggedness

This is not directed to anyone, just expressing my surprise

If it's a capable fishing pole holder, spring over samurai with welded axles is probably the cheapest way out. But I'm sticking to the Jeep being king

Agreed, and honestly inexpensive to build if you don't go crazy. Here is my TJ, nothing too special Dana 44 F&R with high spline axles 4:88 gears, ARB lockers F&R, 4.5" of suspension and 2" of body sitting on 35's. It goes anywhere I point it:

Reactions: AMGtuned and BCX
011E1A6E-F3AB-4DEC-BEC8-503B262412C4.jpeg
This highly modified FJ was was for sale in Canada a few years ago. Locked Dana 60s, 44s, Atlas, caged....

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I don’t have a desire to wheel my 75k truck (Raptor). If your wheeling YOU will do damage at some point! I didn’t have a straight panel on my FJ ?.

Imagine your in the bush and something breaks that you can't fix yourself, would you let bubba try a shot at fixing it? I wouldn't! I would use the raptor to cruise the smokey mountains and drive a little more aggressive, but I wouldn't want to risk anything with it.

I had 2 of those too :) a pink one and a tan one, fun little boogers!

Raptor shouldn’t even be up for discussion here boys. Way to many electronics. You want something w solid axles, mechanical fuel system, on board air, on board welder. definitely need space to haul gear, fuel, water, extra parts in the bush!!!

If your in Australia contact ARB. I know they build trucks. Have them build you a overland vehicle!

I'm a fan of the jeep LJ as a starting point. Dana 44 rear and discs all around. None of the JK and forward issues which I'm currently experiencing and hate.

Fix the weaknesses you find as you go.

Winches are good.

Reactions: jbell
Agreed, and honestly inexpensive to build if you don't go crazy. Here is my TJ, nothing too special Dana 44 F&R with high spline axles 4:88 gears, ARB lockers F&R, 4.5" of suspension and 2" of body sitting on 35's. It goes anywhere I point it:

View attachment 7078329

View attachment 7078331
TJ jeeps are the shit. Coils all the way around. I built a lift spring/spring over w/2" body YJ for a friend, that ran Q78 swampers. Fucking savage, but a proper coil sprung TJ would crawl right around it

Agree recovery gear is a must. Winch, hi-lift, snap blocks, tree saver, recovery straps, air down tool, shackles, etc! I can’t tell you how many people I have recovered w 0 gear.....

TJ jeeps are the shit. Coils all the way around. I built a lift spring/spring over w/2" body YJ for a friend, that ran Q78 swampers. Fucking savage, but a proper coil sprung TJ would crawl right around it
I prefer the Cj/Yk sprung over w high steer conversion w full size axles locked. Running aftermarket alloy or CM axles. 6 lug axles.

The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is available here, but are they as reliable as a Toyota Landcruiser or Hilux?
There is a diesel option here for the Ranger.
The Hilux is more affordable than the Landcruiser, especially the 79 series.

Find a late 60's-early 70's Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol. Build from there. Very little in electronics to go wonky in the outback and stone ax reliable. Nearly anything that does go wrong can be fixed in the Bush with simple tools.

been going there and everywhere since the 20's maybe not the new plastic models but the older ones . that or the jeep again the older ones . the oldest continually produced vehicle in the world .

Jeeps are great but not nearly as reliable as the Toyotas. A Rubicon MSRP is more than a 4Runner OffRoad with only a front locker and lower crawl ratio to benefit. Not needed in the Outback. Buy a lower end Wrangler and you'll be well over the 4Runner price when you finish upgrading it and still won't have the reliability Toyota is known for. A solid front axle is not needed in the Outback. And frankly is only marginally better than IFS in the rocks. < I DID say better though. ?

Here in the states alot of my friends drive toyotas I drive GMC and I'm a mechanic,I can say that the GMC is just as reliable and by far way cheaper to fix and you can go anywhere to get parts for GMC.
Newer toyota and GM not that great they are more of grocery store runner.

I have a 710M and get my part from Swiss Army Vehicle in AR. He's never let me down and I have rebuilt everything but the brakes (next month) and the tranny.

I wheeled w a guy in PA a few years ago w a Pinzs! They are badass but hard to get parts!! Buy a solid axle 80 w a newer diesel conversion,

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: BCX
Jeeps are great but not nearly as reliable as the Toyotas. A Rubicon MSRP is more than a 4Runner OffRoad with only a front locker and lower crawl ratio to benefit. Not needed in the Outback. Buy a lower end Wrangler and you'll be well over the 4Runner price when you finish upgrading it and still won't have the reliability Toyota is known for. A solid front axle is not needed in the Outback. And frankly is only marginally better than IFS in the rocks. < I DID say better though. ?
I ran a Fox mid travel front IFS on my FJ w Icon long travel rear. My rig seen plenty of big rocks. Stock IFS isn’t as durable as a solid axle but it’s 100x easier to change out a front axle on Yota IFS vs Solid in the field. Ride quality is better w the IFS tho. Guess you need to figure exactly what you need for your driving habits and terrain.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, we can get the Ford Raptor here, but tbh haven’t seen many in the outback.

I have a friend that had a 70 series Landcruiser & now owns a new Ford Ranger and he said the cruiser was better in the hard stuff. Not sure how different the Raptor ranger is from the Ranger though. Cheers

That’s right you guys have the ranger raptor. There ya go! .... I’m a ford guy

Reactions: BCX and AMGtuned